Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wackione05 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2006, 05:32 PM
    Signing over rights
    My boyfriend signed over his rights last December and his ex's new husband adopted the little girl. He still had to pay child support, which the state of AZ took out of his paychecks, all the way up until a few months ago. His work finally received letters stating that the child support was terminated. But today he received papers statng that the child support was going to start up again. Can that happen if the child support has already been terminated for several months. Even the payroll lady at his work can't understand. If you have any information that would be so helpful. My boyfriend is a good person and does not deserve to go through all this again. If they start garnishing his wages again he could lose his apartment which he just got. Thank you for your consideration.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 5, 2006, 05:39 PM
    If the child was adopted the child support should end, you will need an attorney to file a motion in the court that his issued the child support decree.

Did the adoption actually happen? You need to hurry to the court issuing the paper work, hopefully it is just a paper work error,

But if the adoption did not happen, the mother may have re-filed for support. ( unless the child had received state funds ( welfare) and the state is wanting to get its money back for the time frame before the adoption.
    wackione05 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2006, 05:54 PM
    Thank you for your response that is very helpful. I'm almost positive the adoption did go through and we are going down to the courts tomorrow to find out if it was a paperwork error. If he had been paying child support after the adoption went through would he be able to get that money back? All my boyfriend wants is for this whole thing to be over but I'm just wondering. But if the adoption did happen can they still make him pay child support?? And if they try should he just get an attorney? I'm just asking for worst case scenario. I'm a religious person and respect your advice. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 5, 2006, 07:57 PM
    Ok, about every time I say something can't happen, we find a judge somewhere that makes a me look stupid, but once the adoption is done, no new support should be due, Now if he was behind on payments, he would still owe any past due payments still.

I am only going by what I hear from 100's on sites like this, I have little experience in adoption and child support ( I have a lot of experience in each one separate but not in the two working together)

It could be fraud on the mothers side, trying to get money and not telling the court about the adoption

It could be a dispute on past due support still owed

It could be a court error, heck they garnished my wages last year because of a person with a similar name oweing child support, ( no one even checked my social secuirty number) They took out 3 months before I could get it stopped and I wrote off trying to get it back, since the attorney would have cost me more money.

I do wish you luck, and let us know what the court tells you,
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2006, 07:01 PM
    If the child's been adopted then the child support order should be invalid. He should provide copies of the adoption decree as well as the papers received by his employer to the agency in AZ that handles child support collections.
    darrellh Posts: 1, Reputation: -1

Sep 25, 2007, 04:09 PM
    I" m needing to know what I have to do to sign over my parental rights in Tennessee. My ex and her new husband do not want me in my children's lives but they keep wanting the child support to keep coming in. my oldest son has gotten unruly and now they are wanting me to take him and fix what they help create. I'm now remarried and this has been going on for 6 yrs. Will it ever stop with her (my ex) getting whatever she wants . She doesn't want the kids but she damn sure won't let me have them . She recently got remarried for the 2nd time and she wants her new husband to be their dad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Signing over parental rights [ 8 Answers ]

OK well My Boyfriend has a daughter with this women, he pays support but she will not allow him to see his daughter she leaves him nasty messages saying she's better off without him. Well this women called him and asked him if he would sign over his rights to her husband because she wants to move...

Co-signing [ 7 Answers ]

A friend aked if I would Co-sign for him on a six hundred thousand dollar home because his credit score is below seven hundred. If I did this, what would my legal obligations be. Can I go back a revoke at any time.

Co signing for an apartment [ 2 Answers ]

I have been asked to co sign for an apartment for my brother and uncle to move into. My uncle has bad credit and now they need me to co sign for the 1year lease. Im wondering if could I make up a contract for my brother and uncle to sign to pay me back if they break the lease. Would that hold up in...

Co signing on a loan [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not sure to do about this one so seeking some advice. My brother called me and asked if I would co sign on a loan for his girlfriend, who is buying a new horse. It is about $9,500. They have been going out for about a year now and have had some problems, but she is really nice, though I...

View more questions Search