Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aaron077 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2010, 03:00 PM
    Hello, I have 13 small questions to ask you for being a zookeeper
    1. What type of animals do you work with?

2. Any special training required?

3 How is a zoo keeper different from a veteran?

4 What would I do with the animals?

5. Any other special qualifications?

6. Is the work hard?

7. What kind of stuff other than animals do you do?

8. How many hours do you work a week?

9. How old do you have to be to become a zoo keeper?

10. Do you like your job as a zoo keeper?

11. What made you become a zoo keeper?

12. What was your old job before you became a zoo keeper?

13. How do you feed the animals?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 4, 2010, 03:22 PM
    I don't think we have any zookeepers on this site, but I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron077 View Post
    1. What type of animals do you work with?

Zookeepers generally work with all of the animals.

2. Any special training required?

Yes. (In the USA they are often a college degree in zoology, biology or an animal-related field. Some colleges offer programs oriented towards a career in zoos.) found here; Zookeeper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3 How is a zoo keeper different from a veteran?

Do you mean veterinarian? A veterinarian is an animal doctor. A zookeeper feeds the animals and cleans their habitat. He/she may alert the vet when an animal is sick, but he/she is not trained to medically help the animal.

4 What would I do with the animals?

You would feed them and clean up after them along with any other duties the zoo required for their zookeepers.

5. Any other special qualifications?

Depends on the country and the zoo.

6. Is the work hard?

Feeding animals and cleaning up feces and urine is hard. So yes.

7. What kind of stuff other than animals do you do?

See the link I provided, duties are explained in great detail there.

8. How many hours do you work a week?

Again, it depends on the zoo.

9. How old do you have to be to become a zoo keeper?

Considering that most zoos require a college degree, I would say you need to be in your 20's at the very least.

10. Do you like your job as a zoo keeper?

Can't answer that as I'm not a zookeeper.

11. What made you become a zoo keeper?

12. What was your old job before you became a zoo keeper?

13. How do you feed the animals?
    The rest of your answers would need to be asked of the zoo that you wish to work for. Each zoo has their own rules, their own standards, their own requirements for the staff that works for them.

You could ask if you can volunteer at the zoo in your area, see if it's something you'd be interested in. I would definitely suggest that you become more familiar with the job before you go to college for it.

It sounds like a wonderful career, and very rewarding if you love animals and want to learn more about them, and be a part of their every day lives. It's not a small undertaking, but if this is what you want to do then do your research, talk to a zookeeper, contact your local zoo, find out about the programs available at your local college so that you can get on the right path to fulfill this dream.

Good luck.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 4, 2010, 03:23 PM
    Hi, Aaron077!

I don't think that we have any people here who are actually employed as zookeepers. However, we do have several people who take care of a number of animals on a regular basis and who might also have some really good knowledge about what might be involved in the job of a zookeeper.

Are you wanting to know what's involved with being a zookeeper because of an assignment for school, or maybe because you might be considering being one in the future, please?

Thanks!
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

May 11, 2010, 06:09 PM

For the record... Zoology is NOT about zoos. There is a "careers" section on this site that might work better for asking these type questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Opened a small business have lots of questions [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get bonded and insured in ga? Any cheap sites that sell products? How do I bid on commercial properties?

Calif. Small Claims questions [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all. I hope I can get a bit of help on (2) subjects. 1. I will be filing a Plaintiffs claim soon and there is a question on venue. The defendant lives, works, and signed the contract in LA county. The contract was carried out or performed in Orange County. I would like to file in...

View more questions Search