Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cs_courtney Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2010, 02:01 PM
    Personal ve public information
    When you are stopped by a cop for a traffic violation and they ask to see your license, what information are they looking for? What if your from another state and have never been in the state in question?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 4, 2010, 02:24 PM
    They are checking to be sure you are who you say you are, and that you are properly licensed to drive.

Is this a trick question?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 4, 2010, 02:27 PM

Hello cs:

It depends. Usually, they're looking to see if you're a licensed and insured driver. They don't care what state you're from and they're not going to know that you've never been there before. You're not required to answer their questions. In fact, they're required to answer yours. YOUR one and only question should be, "am I free to go, Officer?".

Or, they could be looking for bank robbers, or escaped convicts, or if you're in Arizona, illegal aliens.

excon

May 4, 2010, 03:59 PM
    Public information?
    Is my social security number stored in one database that is accessible by law enforcement agencies around the country? If I get stopped in Florida with a Massachusetts license, do they have all of my personal information in a fla database, or do they have access to one in Massachusetts they can access? If I get stopped in Ga with a suspended Ma license, will they be able to find out during my traffic stop?

May 4, 2010, 04:07 PM
    Information?
    When a police officer runs my name, social security number, and date of birth, is he checking a nationwide database or a local one?
    If its in a state in which I have never lived, will he get any information on me?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 4, 2010, 04:10 PM

Depends on the police force. But its likely they are connected to a national database. How much about you is in that database is another question,

May 4, 2010, 04:13 PM

First, please do not start multiple threads for the same question.

If you have a suspended license, its likely it will show in any state.

May 4, 2010, 04:15 PM
    Information?
    When a cop runs your social security number, what information can he obtain? If you were never in that states system, can he still get a date of birth and name?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 4, 2010, 07:54 PM

Ok they run a drivers license check, it will show ( depending on state)

1. if your license is valid
    2. if your license is real ( not fake)
    3. if there are any restrictions on the license ( glasses and the such)
    4. in most areas it shows if your car insurance is valid

They may also ( their option) run a NCIC report, It will show if there are any warrants for your arrest, if they have a in car computer doing it, it will also show if you were ever previoiusly arrested or convicted.

If you were previous convicted or if there is a warrant, it will normally show your social security number, any tatoos known and other ID info

May 5, 2010, 03:59 AM

Comments on this post
    cs_courtney disagrees : disagree, I was stopped in Georgia, issued a ticket for speeding and sent on my way. No mention of out of state suspension

First, may I call your attention to the guidelines for using the comments feature found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

In my first response, I said it depends on the police force. In the response you, erroneously, gave a negative comment to, I said its "Likely" to show. I did NOT say that the officer would act on it. So there was NOTHING factually incorrect about my response.

When you start participating on a site like this, you should spend some time reading the rules and browsing around to see how others use the site. This will help prevent making mistakes like posting the same question 4 separate times or using features incorrectly. This also helps you get the best and most accurate answers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting public records information for free [ 1 Answers ]

I was under the impression you could get public records for free. I tried to do it Online, and it seems they are tied up with companies who act as middlemen and Charge for any information you are looking for. Any suggestions? Thank you for checking out my question.

Using personal information (Privacy Act) [ 9 Answers ]

Hi folks, I wish to start a company much like any credit rating company. This company would collect detailed information from various retailers regarding their customers "in-store" credit activities to establish a rating for individuals which would then be available to other retailers in order...

Personal information [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Can a catholic school give out my personal phone number? I live in Massachusetts and I thought that without my consent it cannot be given out! Thanks

Retrieving Yahoo personal information [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My wife knows her Yahoo id, but she can not remember her Yahoo password or her personal information. Is there any way to retrieve that information or to get ahold of the people at Yahoo over the telephone. Thank You, Fidel

View more questions Search