Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2010, 10:55 AM
    Studying grammar
    Part of my Writing final the semester will be what my teacher calls a diagnostic. He gives us about 50 multiple choice questions. It'll ask us things like which sentence is most clear and concise, word word is misspelled or misused (ex/ effect vs. affect), or ask questions with comma splices or misused semi colons. We've been doing them every couple of weeks in class but I haven't been doing as well as I'd like to on them and I was hoping maybe someone knew of some good websites where I could go for more studying/practice tests. This is for a college writing class (I feel like by now I really should know this stuff but I still don't).
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 4, 2010, 11:15 AM

I have the perfect site for you:

http://www.grammarmudge.cityslide.com/Home.html

All you have to do is visit it and soak up grammar. The site is run by a college English teacher who has also worked as an editor. I've known him for about nine years; he has "taught" grammar on other Q&A sites too. His site has various "pages" about grammar rules and explanations, plus, if you register, you will be able to post on any of the five boards.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2010, 12:51 PM

Thank you wondergirl! I had a feeling you'd know :)
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 4, 2010, 01:47 PM

I am no English major and its been a long time since 10th grade English. I know you didn't ask for a critique but here are few things you may want to consider. Wondergirl can probably find a number of errors.

Part of my Writing final the semester will be what my teacher calls a diagnostic.

Part of my final writing composition examination for the semester will be what my teacher calls a diagnostic questions.
    1. Writing should not be capitalized.
    2. Writing is not a noun, it's a verb, adjective or adverb. In this case, an
    adjective modify a noun that is missing. You will be given an
    examination. What kind of examination? A writing composition
    examination .
    3. Diagnostic is also an adjective. It most often describes the reason
    or purpose for doing something to be to gather information. In this
    case you will be given a section or series of questions for the
    purpose of diagnosing areas you need to improve in your
    writing.

He gives us about 50 multiple choice questions.

He will give us about 50 multiple-choice questions.

1. Watch your tenses, past, present, future. He is not giving you questions
    now but he will in the future. Use the future tense. Multiple choice is a
    hyphenated adjective. A spell check would have caught that for you..

It'll ask us things like which sentence is most clear and concise, word word is misspelled or misused (ex/ effect vs. affect), or ask questions with comma splices or misused semi colons.

He will ask us questions like which sentence is the most clear. Which sentence is the most concise? We will also be asked which word or words are misspelled or misused, i.e. effect vs. affect. We will be given questions with comma splices and misused semi colons.

1. He and she are the personal pronouns. “It” cannot ask anything. Use the correct pronoun.
    2. Again the use of spell check would have caught the double word typo.
    3. Parentheses are use to enclose a parenthetical phrase. A parenthetical
    phrase is one that can be take out without the sentence losing any meaning.
    The meaning of the abbreviation i.e is, that is (to say). It can also be use to
    show an example.
    4. You could be ask questions like which question is the most clear. You
    could be ask questions like which question is the most concise. The most
    clear question might not be the most concise. When there is an apparent
    conflict separate into two statements or questions.

5. Avoid the long, run on sentence, it only serves to confuse you and the
    reader and makes punctuation difficult.

We've been doing them every couple of weeks in class but I haven't been doing as well as I'd like to on them and I was hoping maybe someone knew of some good websites where I could go for more studying/practice tests.

We have been doing this in class every couple of weeks. I haven't doing as well as I would like. I am hoping that someone knows of some good websites to which I could go for study/practice test.

1. Knew is past tense, you want
    someone who knows now. Watch your tenses. Studying is a verb, study as
    used is an adjective modifying test. Here you are trying to say three things
    in one sentence, separate into to three statements.

This is for a college writing class (I feel like by now I really should know this stuff but I still don't).

This is for a college writing class. I think I should know this stuff by now but I don't.

1. Incorrect use of parenthesis. You could not remove the expression without
    effectively changing the sentence. It is a thought not a feeling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grammar [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Do you say 'good at English' or 'good in English'? Which is which? Thanks.

Studying in US [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Frenz, If anyone can quench my thirst of knowledge about how to pursue education in US with financial aid and education support.How can I get teaching Assistantship for pursuing PhD in structural dynamics in civil engg.pls guide me Thanks in advance, Regards

Grammar [ 7 Answers ]

Hi!? Do you say "to the left/right of sth" or "on the right/left of". I found that both possibilities are correct. Is that right? Thank you

View more questions Search