Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stephballard Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2010, 06:36 PM
    Puppy not eating
    My puppy won't eat she has bad diareehea and throws up now and then she has been like this for a few weeks now I took her to the vet had her tested and she is clear I changed her food to chicken and rice and she ait a bit now she won't touch it I've tried her on everything I can think of raw food bickeys can food which I hate and bones and she is not interested now she is looking really boney and really worring me I can't take her back to the vets yet because I owe them 200 and I just paid 2500 for her! So I'm broke at the momet
    She is teathing though so could this be the reason?? Has anyone els had this problem she is a 5 moth old dogue de bordeaux?
    Thanks steph
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 3, 2010, 07:20 PM

So what was she cleared from by the vet? Parvo? A few weeks is a long time for a dog to go with out food and throwing up with diarrhea. I would suggest going back to the vet and asking if you can make up some sort of payment plan.

Puppies are at a high risk of becoming dehydrated. If you can give her some pedialyte or low salt chicken flavor in her water.

Has she been de wormed and treated for fleas? Has she been vaccinated yet? What did the vet say about her not eating and losing weight? If you can not financially care for her, you may have to re think being a pet owner. These things happen, but you owe her the best care possible.

There is a lot of things that can cause the symptoms that you described, and only a vet can tell you what it is for sure. You say you can't afford to go back to the vet, but is it worth her life? Sorry to be harsh, but your pup really needs to go back to the vet.

Contact the breeder that you got her from and ask if any of the other pups are sick, that may narrow things down for you. Also does she have a health guarantee from the breeder? If so they may be able to refund some of your money to foot the cost of the vet bills.

I moved your post to it's own thread. If you start your own thread instead of piggy backing on old ones, you will get more answers and faster. Thanks :)
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2010, 07:26 PM

$2500 is a lot of money. What did the vet do?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2010, 08:18 PM

Its not normal, and its not right that a puppy hasn't eaten for more tha 2 days.

If the vet has cleared her of the puppyhood diseases, then its time to figure out what is wrong with her. Have you taken in a stool sample? She may be loaded with worms. She may also have stress colitis. She could be having a reaction to the food your feeding or she could be depressed from leaving her litter.

Talk to the vet over the phone. Maybe its something simple as worming. Describe to him what is going on. That will eliminate an unnecessary vet visit, or it will prepare the vet for what he needs to physically look for.

Good luck.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 04:08 PM
    Maybe time to talk to a different vet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy not eating [ 1 Answers ]

:(Hi, I have a pekingese puppy she's 1 years old for about 1 week now she has stopped eating & vomits her bodily fluids. Could this be due to heart worms? I just got her & I have not taken her to a vet.

Puppy Not Eating! [ 1 Answers ]

My 6 week old boston terrier puppy isn't eating. We've been feeding him soft food, with a little kibble which has been working fine for about a week, and just today he started not eating and is acting a little strange. I don't know what it could be and I'm really worried about him! Please help!

Is my puppy eating too much? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My 3 month old cocker spaniel (English) puppy, Phoenix, is about 4 kgs and we feed him 4 times a day. He eats 1 1/2 cups Pedigree puppy food and 1 cup minced beef/boiled chicken mixed in with a cup of rice and veg split into 4 meals. I worry he may not be eating enough because he gobbles his...

Another puppy not eating [ 3 Answers ]

I have read quite a few of the other messages about getting new puppies and them not eating, I have tried quite a few of the suggestions out too.. We adopted a puppy on last Saturday, its now Tuesday, she will only drink a little of water, I finally got her to eat a very small portion last night,...

Puppy Not Eating [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 8 month old Dogue De Bordeaux and he has not been eating the last couple of days. We did move into a new house last week. He does eat a coupl ebites then just leaves the rest. I was wondering if he is not eating because he needs to adapt to his new surroundings or if I should take him...

View more questions Search