Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    besart Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2010, 06:05 PM
    Can my house be taken away by x's back child support judgment?
    In my separation agreement my soon to be x signed over the title to the house in lieu of child support payments. At the same time his x had a judgment for back child support placed on the house. This was done days before the agreement became official. I didn't know about or I wouldn't have signed this agreement. It was a default judgment. And husband isn't doing anything about it either. My state is Colorado. My question is - If the title is in my name, what is xwife entitled to? Could all of the equity (this is a large sum of money-more that the house is worth!)be taken to satify this judgement? What happens to my soon to be x? Is there any way I can protect my equity?Can
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 3, 2010, 06:50 PM

Did you two own the house free and clear, no mortgage?

May 3, 2010, 07:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Did you two own the house free and clear, no mortgage??
    There is a mortgage.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 3, 2010, 07:06 PM

Is his name still on the mortgage?

May 3, 2010, 07:08 PM

No his name is not.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 3, 2010, 08:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by besart View Post
    ...If the title is in my name, what is xwife entitled to?

Could all of the equity (this is a large sum of money-more that the house is worth!)be taken to satify this judgement?

What happens to my soon to be x?

Is there any way I can protect my equity?
    It appears that you want to be able to prove that she knew about the imminent separation agreement before she recorded her judgment. It would be arguable that she is not a bona fide purchaser without notice (if that is a valid defense in Colorado).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I owe back child support, will child support garnish the whole tax return? [ 3 Answers ]

Will child support garnish the whole tax return?

My husband owes back child support not me, can my house be on a lien? [ 6 Answers ]

I own a home with my husband and it is under a lien for back child support how can this be done when I don't owe that. IN the txas the IRS lets us claim Injured spouse, Can that be done here too?

Money judgment/child support lien [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I have been awarded a $58k money judgment as of 5/2006 for child support arrears in upstate NY. Currently, the NC is paying $78 a week which is being garnished out of his wages at that rate it will take him several years. He owns real estate property. I have a two part question here....

View more questions Search