Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phunkymama Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2006, 03:57 PM
    Belongings left behind after termination of lease
    I'm in PA. We have a tenant who requested to terminate her lease, and we accepted her request. We were receiving a Section 8 voucher, but she had not paid her portion of the rent for two months. In my letter accepting her terminating the lease, we told her to be out by November 30.

She has left the premises, but she left behind a LOT of belongings, furniture, clothing, food and more. She did not leave a forwarding address, and she does not answer our phone calls. What is our responsibility regarding the things she left behind? I really don't want to have to pay to store them, and I'd like to get the unit ready to rent again.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Dec 5, 2006, 04:31 PM
    Place the items in storage and then charge the former tenants the storage fees, along with other items of interest for instance, cleaning, repairs etc... landlords do have rights

Dec 5, 2006, 04:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LUNAGODDESS
    Place the items in storage and then charge the former tenants the storage fees, along with other items of interest for instance, cleaning, repairs etc...landlords do have rights
    I'd really rather not go to the expense, if possible. She hasn't paid rent in two months, and I wasn't going to file a lawsuit for that, just write it off. At this point, I don't even know how I would find her to have her served.

We called to have the utilities changed over today, and they told us that they had just shut her off. They would not tell us whether it was at her request, or because of non-payment. In our experience, though, even a requested shut-off takes about a month in our area, which leads me to believe she hadn't paid PECO in quite some time.

Dec 5, 2006, 05:23 PM
    Have a "renters' left these things behind so do you want them sale! " "Everything most go real cheap make me an offer so I can take off the difference on my taxes sale" Not much you can do if 'renters' left things behind but throw them away or get some money from them... after all how do you know that your former renters did not leave these things behind as collateral for two months of rent... think about it (smile)

Dec 5, 2006, 06:33 PM
    I guess I'm just worried because everything I've read online seems to lead to me having to go through the whole eviction process, even though she has left. Then I'm still supposed to pay to store the belongings for 6 months as well. I don't want to get in trouble down the road, but I don't want to incur any more expenses either. There's really nothing of value, junk furniture, ratty looking mattresses, broken-down stereos, and a basement full of musty clothing and baby stuff.

Dec 5, 2006, 07:44 PM
    How much is small claims court in your state? And then ask the courts to search for this person and this will cost for, the courts charges varies on searches. But, you can charge that to the former tenant(s) when you catch up to them. Also, of importance did you request an other contact on the lease, if so you can turn that name to the courts or you can contact them. There is an out and it will cost but at the end you will be reimbursed for the time spent. Good luck
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 5, 2006, 08:08 PM
    Try sending a letter by regular mail and certified mail to her last known address. In the letter tell her that she left behind some belongings and if she does not arrange to pick them up within 30 days then you will dispose of them. Also say that she will be responsible for all of your costs in connection with her belongings, such as storage and disposal costs.

Make sure you write on the envelopes "Forwarding and Address Correction Requested". If the certified mail gets returned but the regular mail doesn't get returned then it is presumed that she received it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord making up own lease termination rules. [ 6 Answers ]

I'm new. So... I rented an apartment in Portland, Oregon starting Jan.1, 2006 with a 1 year lease. In May I had the opportunity to work in Japan for 6 months starting in June. I contacted the landlord and explained the situation. I told him I would be moving out and we agreed that I would...

Early lease termination for layoff IOWA [ 2 Answers ]

I hear a tenant can get out of a lease early if he or she gets laid off from their job. Again, the lease is in Iowa and I am a union boilermaker that works in many states throughout the country. Any insight would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks Doug

Lease Termination in Iowa [ 4 Answers ]

I am currently renting an apartment. There are 11 months left on the lease. I was recently approved for my first mortgage and have a lot hold on a townhome in a new development (yet to be built). If I decide to purchase I have to commit by signing a purchase agreement in October. Still have the...

Question about Belongings... [ 2 Answers ]

I signed a 6-month lease on January 1, 2006. The person I was rooming with had lived in the house already for a year. He had the only copy of the lease. When I paid rent, I gave him cash (I did not get receipts because he was a friend) and bills were the same way. After the lease was to be up on...

How long does ex have to remove belongings? [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, My ex abandoned me 2 1/2 years of marriage in April 2004. I divorced her (NYS final decree in September 2005). The house was mine before the marriage and is 100% mine after the marriage. She left 2 1/2 rooms of her furniture and belongings in my house. She refuses to remove them...

View more questions Search