Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2010, 02:07 AM
    Why Christian
    Why Christianity?

Many people here and elsewhere are firm Christian believers. I am also. I just feel like a good debate for the next few days, so I decided to play devil's advocate and ask why do people believe this "nonsense." I will not defend it this time, but rather do everything I know how to to test the faith of believers here.

I ask for whole hearted intelligent responses. I don't care if its personal experiences, philosophies, logic, or just an emotional take on the perspective. I suppose that if we could keep the anger and bashing to a minimum I would be elated. Maybe we all will find a deeper faith, a few more truths, a little learning, and a couple of reaffirming stories.

Thanks...
    EmoPrincess Posts: 1,068, Reputation: 92
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2010, 02:19 AM

I am not a Christian, but I do see a few positive aspects in the basics of Christianity.

For example:
    The Ten Commandments serve well as a basic moral code.
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2010, 02:49 AM

Well sure, anyone could pick from here and there about what they see as a great positive idea, but as time goes on and as the person varies, you will find different things going on. For instance, do you agree that it is morally wrong to envy? That is to desire that of someone else's?
    EmoPrincess Posts: 1,068, Reputation: 92
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2010, 03:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by InfoJunkie4Life View Post
    Well sure, anyone could pick from here and there about what they see as a great positive idea, but as time goes on and as the person varies, you will find different things going on. For instance, do you agree that it is morally wrong to envy? That is to desire that of someone else's?
    I just meant that the basics of it were good.

I personally am uncomfortable with envy but I don't think it is really morally wrong, unless the person coveting follows the belief that it is wrong. I am all for "whatever floats your boat" what may not suit me, may suit another.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2010, 05:52 AM
    Why Christianity?

Many people here and elsewhere are firm Christian believers. I am also. I just feel like a good debate for the next few days, so I decided to play devil's advocate and ask why do people believe this "nonsense." I will not defend it this time, but rather do everything I know how to to test the faith of believers here.

I ask for whole hearted intelligent responses. I don't care if its personal experiences, philosophies, logic, or just an emotional take on the perspective. I suppose that if we could keep the anger and bashing to a minimum I would be elated. Maybe we all will find a deeper faith, a few more truths, a little learning, and a couple of reaffirming stories.

Thanks...
    Because it is not nonsense. You may not understand it but it is not nonsense.

There is a physical presence which can be discerned and which we call the presence of God. There is communication in various forms, There are miracles in the form of healing or other helps which are otherwise inexplicable. These are all testified to by many Christians over centuries and are just as real today as they were two thousand years ago. God is a person who does not repeat himself so what he does one time he may not do again in the same way. This is what being infinite means. I have experienced so much and I can have no explanation but God. All of this has nothing to do with denominations, it has to do with faith. God is the rewarder of those who diligently seek him.
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2010, 08:01 AM

To Princess:

If your "whatever floats your boat" motto were to be true, you find yourself with no moral code whatsoever. You will find that the only way to determine what is right is by a human take, in the most personal sense, as what you feel is right.

To Paraclete:

I love the Latin in your name. It signifies a lot about your faith and belief. As I said in my original post, I am also an avid believer. I sometimes take the Bible in such a literal sense that I get myself in trouble.

In rebuttal to your statement (Devil's Advocate) I have a few lines of logic and thought for you. Considering that God loves all, and that the Biblical miracles were preformed in front of believers as well as nonbelievers, such is concurrent with Christ's line:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 2:17
    On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.
    Given this, why is that there is not more supported evidence among the sinners as well as among the believers of such occurrences. One might say that those who see will believe, but Christ once again makes it clear that those who see will not believe, their hearts are hard. This is often due to lack of faith.

To say God does not repeat himself seems to be a bit of a fallacy. The Bible is full of instances of repetition. Many say that the more times He says it, the more important it is. Often time God is shown as repeating Himself due to the redundancy of His followers. How many times did the Israelite nation drift from God, and He had to correct them over and over in the same way.

Your statement "I can have no explanation but God" shows true faith. By definition faith is believing what cannot be seen. If you seek God above all things, especially yourself, he will reward you accordingly.

P.S. I hate denominations.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 2, 2010, 08:19 AM

Moved to the discussion area
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2010, 08:34 AM

Thanks Chuck, I didn't even know that there was a discussion area for this.
    Expert

May 2, 2010, 11:01 AM

Yes, while moderated, the discussion area allows for more "open" discussion and disagreement.
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2010, 12:21 PM

Care to take part in this little indulgence of mine?
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

May 2, 2010, 02:10 PM

Because I am not perfect, and I sin a lot.

G&P
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2010, 04:23 PM
    To Princess:

If your "whatever floats your boat" motto were to be true, you find yourself with no moral code whatsoever. You will find that the only way to determine what is right is by a human take, in the most personal sense, as what you feel is right.

To Paraclete:

I love the Latin in your name. It signifies a lot about your faith and belief. As I said in my original post, I am also an avid believer. I sometimes take the Bible in such a literal sense that I get myself in trouble.

In rebuttal to your statement (Devil's Advocate) I have a few lines of logic and thought for you. Considering that God loves all, and that the Biblical miracles were preformed in front of believers as well as nonbelievers, such is concurrent with Christ's line:

Given this, why is that there is not more supported evidence among the sinners as well as among the believers of such occurrences. One might say that those who see will believe, but Christ once again makes it clear that those who see will not believe, their hearts are hard. This is often due to lack of faith.

To say God does not repeat himself seems to be a bit of a fallacy. The Bible is full of instances of repetition. Many say that the more times He says it, the more important it is. Often time God is shown as repeating Himself due to the redundancy of His followers. How many times did the Israelite nation drift from God, and He had to correct them over and over in the same way.

Your statement "I can have no explanation but God" shows true faith. By definition faith is believing what cannot be seen. If you seek God above all things, especially yourself, he will reward you accordingly.

P.S. I hate denominations.
    I find you argumentative and I am not here to argue what is in fact personal testimony, I did not say he does not repeat himself I said he may not repeat himself and that acceptance of that which I cannot otherwise explain as God is faith. I know what is real to me and I have answered your question by testifying. Christianity is about relationship, not ceremony.
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2010, 06:09 PM

I am being argumentative, that is the point of this thread. I don't mean to infringe on your personal beliefs, but rather test you knowledge and thoughts. I am arguing the opposite, as to find different perspectives on the subject that I may not see myself.
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2010, 07:10 PM
    Care to take part in this little indulgence of mine?
    What Chuck means is he won't can you if you speak what he considers heresy and the fact that the thread has been moved suggests that someone might have been getting close
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2010, 09:59 AM

What do you mean?

I will not renounce my beliefs or speak heresy, I will only ask questions and point to facts that are often used against my beliefs, some of which I'm sure you've faced while witnessing to others. There are no holes in the Word of God, only subjects that we may not understand (or that were meant for us not to understand).
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2010, 10:03 AM

This is an exercise I like to go about every now and then to try to understand how other Christians might go about defending their own faith. We will always be under attack from the world and I like a fresh perspective on the subject every now and then. If I can get other Christians who are willing to work with me, I can see how one might explain oneself in a way that I might not.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 3, 2010, 03:03 PM

This isn't an exercise, this is clearly an argument waiting to happen, and look, it already has.

If you're a Christian then why question the Christian faith just to stir the pot? Are you bored?
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2010, 03:26 PM
    What do you mean?

I will not renounce my beliefs or speak heresy, I will only ask questions and point to facts that are often used against my beliefs, some of which I'm sure you've faced while witnessing to others. There are no holes in the Word of God, only subjects that we may not understand (or that were meant for us not to understand).
    What do I mean

I mean that whether you speak heresy or not, Chuck will can you if you say something he considers heretical. All you have to do is contravene Catholic doctrine
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 3, 2010, 03:27 PM
    do everything I know how to to test the faith of believers here.
    The Romans tested the faith of Christians against lions and other wild beasts in their arenas. AMHD is not an arena, and "testing the faith" is not the purpose of any of AMHD's religious boards.

Why Christianity? Some were born into it and have never left it. Some embraced it as children or adults. Some chose to become Christian in their old age or on their death bed. In the same way, you can ask why Hinduism or why Islam or Wicca. You will get as many answers as there are individuals.

Like Alty said, this is clearly an argument waiting to happen. It would be much more productive if you asked a specific question that would generate positive and honest discussion for any religion that might post on this particular board, such as "The Golden Rule, 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you,' is an ethic found in almost all organized religions. How can it be misunderstood and practiced incorrectly?"
    Expert

May 3, 2010, 03:48 PM

You know I am closing this just because you can only fight why I moved it.

I moved it so it would not have to be closed by crossing lines when you argue. But all you can do is fight and lie why I moved it.

It had nothing to do with Catholic, it shows how narrow minded some of you are. I moved it to you could discuss more.

But all you can do is fight. AHHHHHH.

Again closed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What Does It Take To Be A Christian? [ 60 Answers ]

What Does It Take To Be A Christian? So many churches say different things, And I want to know what your opinion is.

Was she ever a Christian? [ 210 Answers ]

Ok, I already know that we can not truly understand someone else's heart and whether someone is saved or not. Having said that would YOU ( I'm speaking to Christians) own a person like this as a sister in the Lord?. I know a woman who was involved for YEARS with the REORGAINIZED church of...

What is a Christian? [ 57 Answers ]

I've seen a lot of threads started lately about Christianity, what makes a Christian, I'd like to discuss this. As most of you know I'm a Deist, I was raised Lutheran, attended a Catholic school for 10 years and then decided that organized religion was not for me. I do not completely fit the...

What Is Being a Christian? [ 3 Answers ]

I can't seem to understand the different denominations of Christianity. I would like to able to catagorize what I believe in. I believe in God, But I don't think that religion has to be learned in a church. Also I Don't believe God has expectations in what we must do in our lifes and that we can...

View more questions Search