Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 2, 2010, 12:18 AM
    Worship in Church. What Do You Do to Prepare for It?
    Hi, All!

In the time zone in which I'm in, it's now Sunday. I need to get up to go to church and play the piano and organ for the service. Hopefully, I'll have selected pieces in a prayerful manner in order to coordinate with what might be in the Lessons and Sermon for the day. Sometimes, it might take me many days to find just the right pieces and maybe hymns and songs that would be the most appropriate.

It could be for worship on any day of the week...

I try to be in prayer throughout the week. The culmination for me comes when we gather together as Christians for worship. Much "fuel" to carry on throughout the week is also gained by worshipping together.

What might be some things that you do to prepare for worship, please? Prayer, meditation, practice, reading the texts of Bible lessons before the service, preparing the altar or communion table, making sure an elderly person is able to get to church, getting things ready for fellowship time that might follow a service, pray together with other leaders in your church right before the service, etc. That was just a short list!

You might be a Sunday School teacher, musician, parishioner, deacon, director of some kind, usher or even a priest or minister.

The sharing of what you do might help others in how they prepare for worship!

Thanks!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 2, 2010, 03:10 AM

Your Sunday sounds lovely. I am not as diligent as you and don't attend church any longer. But old habits die hard and I still cook a Sunday dinner with all the trimmings, so you might say that is my worship on Sunday.

Have a great day, Clough, play like you have never played before !

Tick
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2010, 09:10 AM

When I was doing music for church services I would do a lot of prayer and meditation to decide what music to choose, then spend a fair amount of time practicing those songs to be sure I was giving them the best I could. I would do the same when I was leading music for a mid-week home group. It's been a long time since I was in such a position, and I actually haven't been to a church service in nearly 2 years; getting ready to go try out a new church in our new town about 10 minutes from now. When I'm just a seat-filler, my main method of preparation is managing to get there on time!

I miss doing music...
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2010, 09:34 AM

We go to church every Sunday. As a family, all four of us. My wife sings in the choir, I am in charge of the food and kitchen, and the boys go to children's Sunday school and then children's church.

I prepare by opening my heart, and mind, to what it is I am about to experience. God has been so good to me and my family. And for that I am eternally grateful. I learn, share, and sometimes help others in need. We have a great church to attend. There are many great people there who have so much to give.

I don't think that God judges us on how or what we do in church. As long as it's respectful, and meaningful.

Lift our hearts and give thanks and praise.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 2, 2010, 10:58 AM

Although I seldom use them, I prepare sermon notes. Material comes from daily readings that I do. And often from questions and threads from here
    Uber Member

May 2, 2010, 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    When I was doing music for church services I would do a lot of prayer and meditation to decide what music to choose, then spend a fair amount of time practicing those songs to be sure I was giving them the best I could. I would do the same when I was leading music for a mid-week home group. It's been a long time since I was in such a position, and I actually haven't been to a church service in nearly 2 years; getting ready to go try out a new church in our new town about 10 minutes from now. When I'm just a seat-filler, my main method of preparation is managing to get there on time!

I miss doing music..........
    Hi, dwashbur!

Did you play? Lead by singing? Direct? Or, maybe a combination of those?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

May 2, 2010, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    We go to church every Sunday. As a family, all four of us. My wife sings in the choir, I am in charge of the food and kitchen, and the boys go to children's Sunday school and then children's church.

I prepare by opening my heart, and mind, to what it is I am about to experience. God has been so good to me and my family. And for that I am eternally grateful. I learn, share, and sometimes help others in need. We have a great church to attend. There are many great people there who have so much to give.

I don't think that God judges us on how or what we do in church. As long as it's respectful, and meaningful.

Lift up our hearts and give thanks and praise.
    Hi, jmjoseph!

What kind of church do you attend, please?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

May 2, 2010, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Although I seldom use them, I prepare sermon notes. Material comes from daily readings that I do. And often from questions and threads from here
    Hi, Fr_Chuck!

Do you use the readings throughout the year that are found in the common lectionary as used by most Christian Churches that are liturgical in nature?

Thanks!
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2010, 12:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, dwashbur!

Did you play? Lead by singing? Direct? Or, maybe a combination of those?

Thanks!
    Hi Clough,
    All of the above. I've directed worship teams in four different churches in as many states. My primary instrument is keyboard, though I am getting back into guitar. I led worship with my acoustic for a home group when I was at the Vineyard in Boise and thoroughly enjoyed that, and also played my electric quite a bit in some of the other teams I led. I've never been real big on choirs, but that may be because I haven't spent that much time with any really good ones. When I was helping with worship at a Catholic Life Teen service a few years ago I sang, played keyboard, sometimes filled in on guitar and also on bass. One time when I was doing backup singing they handed me a tambourine, but only once; I got a little excited and sort of... uh, broke it. :eek: So percussion apparently isn't safe around me...
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2010, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, jmjoseph!

What kind of church do you attend, please?

Thanks!
    I am Catholic, by Christening and confirmation. But now we are members of a Methodist church. It had the best children's program for our boys, and is closer to our house.

It doesn't matter where you eat, as long as you get fed.

We are lucky to have this church in our lives.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 2, 2010, 03:07 PM

Yes, I will soon be converting over to the ones used by the Roman Catholic Church ( taking a new position with a church) but yes, we have set daily readings but most my Sermons can go any direction, not always follow the readings.

I read and study the daily readings of Oswald Chambers, and do a bible study based on those weekly readings.

But for me, 9 times out of ten, the "spirit" just moves and my sermon can go almost anywhere.
    Uber Member

May 4, 2010, 10:20 PM
    I prefer things that happen in church to be governed by the movement of the Holy Spirit. It's that way with the music that I play and/or sing.

I'm glad that your sermons are from your heart as moved by the Holy Spirit!

I also think that there is a certain power in prayer and feeling of community when Christians are reading and contemplating on the same things throughout a denomination at the same time and maybe on the same day.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2010, 11:39 PM

I get to church a bit early and use the time for prayer in preparation.
    I pray for everyone I know and love and also everyone I work with on the www.
    That includes everyone here and with whom I do e-mail.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Uber Member

May 15, 2010, 10:30 PM
    Another Sunday is upon us...

A lot of liturgical churches will be celebrating the Feast of the Ascension today, in one way or another. The most traditional date for it actually happened a few days ago.

At the church where I currently play though, there won't be any mention of the Ascension. Although, since I'm from a liturgical background, I usually find pieces to play for preludes, offertories and postludes that might have something to do with the major feast days.
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2010, 10:37 PM

Clough
    Good for you.
    I would really like to hear you play and the selections you pick.
    It sound like you are dedicated to your spiritual music.
    That is marvelous,
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Uber Member

May 15, 2010, 10:48 PM
    There might be a way on this site for people to hear me play someday. If I record something, I know that there are sites where a person can store and play sound files for free!

Something that I wrote for another member here months ago, is still available on a site, the last time that I checked, which was a couple of weeks ago.

Unfortunately, that was a computer program that was playing what I wrote.

Do you play a musical instrument or sing, Fred?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

May 15, 2010, 11:13 PM
    I can see that you're looking at this thread, Fred!
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2010, 11:21 PM

Clough,
    I love to sing but I do not sing well for I never took voice instruction.
    I used to play the guitar but since I have arthritis in my left hand I can no longer play.
    I still have 3 guitars, I suppose in hope that someday I'll be able to play again.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Uber Member

May 15, 2010, 11:35 PM
    I play a little bit on the guitar. Not really all that much though...

Did you see my Visitor Message to you, arcura?

Also, have you ever written out prayers or other things that might be perhaps like poems?
    Uber Member

May 22, 2010, 08:11 PM
    Another Sunday is upon us...

Are you going to respond to the questions that I asked you, arcura?

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

C corporation.prepare unadjusted balance and prepare 1120 [ 2 Answers ]

For the year ended December 2009 Practice C corporation Gross Income 590,800 Cost of Goods Sold Project Expenses 115,000 Expenses: Working Owner Compensation 220,000 Other...

Not a member of a church but want to be married in church [ 8 Answers ]

Neither my fiancé or myself are members of a church, however we want to be married in a church. We live in Whitehall, PA and are wondering if anyone knows of a church that would marry us without having to join.

False worship [ 2 Answers ]

Is it true that as a Jehovah Witness you are not able to work for someone or own a business that sells catholic items such as rosaries or statues of jesus and saints? Thank you Suzette

Serpent worship [ 3 Answers ]

What is the biblical basis for sects who believe in serpent worship?

View more questions Search