Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ranger007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2010, 12:27 PM
    Theft Under $5000 Canada
    Hi, I'm hoping someone can answer my questions.
    I got caught yesterday shoplifting groceries valued at $44 at Save on Foods. The LPO caught me, took my information, RCMP came took me to the cop shop got my fingerprints and gave me a promise to appear in court with a date. The cop had asked me if this was my first time and I said yes, when initially it wasn't. When I was 17 back in 1993 I was caught shoplifting at sears. The judge dropped the charges as long as I made a donation of $50 to a charity and met with a councillor which I did. I did not mention this to the cop. I didn't think I needed to since I wasn't convicted.
    My question is, will they find out about my previous incident? It was over 17 yrs ago. Will this incident be treated as a First Offence? What kind of punishment would I be facing? This is SO embarrassing and obvioulsy wasn't worth the $44 stolen groceries. Im in Vancouver, BC and I see a lot of Ontario people but I'm wondering if anyone in BC can answer my questions.
    I can't afford a lawyer, I was told to talk to the duty councel at the courthouse.. do I do this on the court date or can I talk to them prior? Its Saturday today and Legal aid is not open so I can't talk to them. TIA for any feedback.
    kevin1249 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2010, 12:22 AM
    Did they give you a court date?

May 6, 2010, 02:09 AM

I had a close call at save on foods, a lpo and a manager confronted me outside the store with some stolen goods, asked me for a receipt, I said sure one seconds, put my stolen groceries down looked in my pockets abit and RAN! There were two of them and they both started chasing me, the guy who looked like a manager told the plain cloths guy to let it go after about 20 seconds but he didn't and chased me over 10 blocks. We were both dead tired, he was waving down cars trying to get them to call the police ( I guess he didn't have a cell phone ). We had some little talks into between runs when we were just walking dead tired... he told me nothing would happen if I turned myself in, that id just be banned from the store, but he said they would call the police and I said why?! I almost turned myself in acouple times, id walk closer to him and he would back away, he told me he wasn't allowed to touch me, I was trying to loose this guy for about 30 min, he was asking bystanders to call the police and when he would id ran ahead and then he would have to stop asking and chase me, this went on for awhile!! He was trying to stay with me and get someone to call the police at the same time but it was difficult for him, eventually I ended up at a bus depot, he saw translink, this was in vancouver, he yelled CRIMINAL OVER HERE, I walked over to translink security with him a little and said this guy is crazy then ran, he ended up talking to translink for prob 30 seconds and they called the police, this gave me a little time to get away, I ran acouple blocks and found a hiding place without the lpo on my , I hid in a washroom!! Called a taxi, made sure the taxi came right to the washroom I was hidding in and ran out to it and got away, I was in the taxi for less then 5 seconds and there were police searching the blocks in their cars and I saw the lpo looking around for me, and translink security around too, they were all closing in on me, they all didn't look in the taxi and I just got away, all this for less then 20 bucks worth of groceries... I've never been caught before... what is the penality if I get caught stealing groceries??
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 6, 2010, 09:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger007 View Post
    Hi, im hoping someone can answer my questions.
    I got caught yesterday shoplifting groceries valued at $44 at Save on Foods. The LPO caught me, took my information, RCMP came took me to the cop shop got my fingerprints and gave me a promise to appear in court with a date. The cop had asked me if this was my first time and i said yes, when initially it wasnt. When i was 17 back in 1993 i was caught shoplifting at sears. The judge dropped the charges as long as i made a donation of $50 to a charity and met with a councillor which i did. I did not mention this to the cop. I didnt think i needed to since i wasnt convicted.
    My question is, will they find out about my previous incident?? It was over 17 yrs ago. Will this incident be treated as a First Offence? What kind of punishment would i be facing? This is SO embarrasing and obvioulsy wasnt worth the $44 stolen groceries. Im in Vancouver, BC and i see alot of Ontario people but im wondering if anyone in BC can answer my questions.
    I can't afford a lawyer, i was told to talk to the duty councel at the courthouse..do i do this on the court date or can i talk to them prior? Its Saturday today and Legal aid is not open so i can't talk to them. TIA for any feedback.

Yes, the Police can "see" your entire record - including the charge 17 years ago. For purposes of diversion you are not a first time offender.

The Attorney will speak to you the day of your hearing - get there early.
    Uber Member

May 6, 2010, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin1249 View Post
    i had a close call at save on foods, a lpo and a manager confronted me outside the store with some stolen goods, asked me for a reciept, i said sure one seconds, put my stolen groceries down looked in my pockets abit and RAN! there were two of them and they both started chasing me, the guy who looked like a manager told the plain cloths guy to let it go after about 20 seconds but he didnt and chased me over 10 blocks. we were both dead tired, he was waving down cars trying to get them to call the police ( i guess he didn't have a cell phone ). we had some little talks into between runs when we were just walking dead tired..... he told me nothing would happen if i turned my self in, that id just be banned from the store, but he said they would call the police and i said why?!?!? i almost turned my self in acouple times, id walk closer to him and he would back away, he told me he wasnt allowed to touch me, i was trying to loose this guy for about 30 min, he was asking bystanders to call the police and when he would id ran ahead and then he would have to stop asking and chase me, this went on for awhile!!! he was trying to stay with me and get someone to call the police at the same time but it was difficult for him, eventually i ended up at a bus depot, he saw translink, this was in vancouver, he yelled CRIMINAL OVER HERE, i walked over to translink security with him alittle and said this guy is crazy then ran, he ended up talking to translink for prob 30 seconds and they called the police, this gave me alittle time to get away, i ran acouple blocks and found a hiding place without the lpo on my , i hid in a washroom!!! called a taxi, made sure the taxi came right to the washroom i was hidding in and ran out to it and got away, i was in the taxi for less then 5 seconds and there were police searching the blocks in their cars and i saw the lpo looking around for me, and translink security around too, they were all closing in on me, they all didn't look in the taxi and i just got away, all this for less then 20 bucks worth of groceries.... iv never been caught before..... what is the penality if i get caught stealing groceries???

Diversion or probation or fines or jail and definitely a criminal record.

Why do you need to post all this "get away" information?

May 6, 2010, 09:33 AM

For first time getting caught you get jail time and criminal record, right now I've never been caught shoplifting before and have no criminal record... are you sure you get all that from first offence?
    Uber Member

May 6, 2010, 09:34 AM

It sounds like you resisted arrest and fled the authorities - that puts you in a whole different category from shoplifting.

May 6, 2010, 09:48 AM

I didn't resist arrest because I didn't actually get confronted by a police officer they arrived just as I was getting in a taxi, the only person I resisted was the plo, when he went to call the police with translink I ran away and called a taxi, when I got in the taxi though I saw the police circling the block, I don't believe that is resisting arrest
    Uber Member

May 6, 2010, 09:57 AM

If he was attempting to apprehend you he had some "power" to do so and you resisted. Take this issue up with your Attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft over 5000 in canada [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. So almost 4 years ago I was at a bad time in my life. I was hanging out with the wrong group of people, people who I thought were my "friends". In result I ended up being charged with theft over 5000. I am in Winnipeg Manitoba. I stole cheques from my workplace. This was the worst choice in my...

Theft over 5000.00 in Canada [ 3 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitations on theft over 5000.00 in Canada? I have a sworn confession that a person entered my home - and stole 6000.00. This was reported to the local RCMP detachment and they simply said it was a family matter. This happened in 2002/2003. Can charges still be laid? At...

Theft under $5000-Canada [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I was caught for stealing at walmart. They brought me into the back room and did a police chack. Since it wamy first offense, I was pardoned. They didn't issue me a court date or anything, does this mean I don't have to go to court?. Do pardons show up on your record? I am currenlty looking...

Theft of about $5000 - Canada [ 4 Answers ]

This is my first offence. I have been caught doing refunds for cash and gift cards at Sears. The amount as of right now is around $4000. I was wondering what type of punishment I might receive. I know I screwed up so there's no need to call me stupid as I already feel that way. This is my first...

Theft under 5000-canada [ 3 Answers ]

Thanks for the help. However, if they were going to press charges, wouldn't they have done it right away when the theft occurred?. Why do it at a later date?. If theyare going to press charges how long do they usually wait?. and how does this occur?. letter in the mail?

View more questions Search