Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2010, 09:19 PM
    What Sites Are the Best for Checking Your Connection Speed?
    Hi, All!

What sites are the best and most reliable to use concerning finding out what your connection speed is?

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2010, 09:22 PM

Speakeasy - Speakeasy, Inc. - Broadband, Voice and Data Services

I had better one with more comprehensive numbers rather than just two, but I lost the URL.
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2010, 10:01 PM
    Is the site that you posted going to work okay with the dial-up connection that I presently have, KISS? What I mean is, will it be hard for me to load it up?

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2010, 10:10 PM

It should, but the test may take a while because it loads a specific amount of data up and back. Hopefully your browser supports java because a Java app is needed for the browser. You may be out of luck.

I just tried The National Broadband Plan: Connecting America and it gives jitter and Latency.

When are you going to move into the 20th century and get broadband internet?

With Skype you can talk to nearly anywhere around the world and typical costs are two cents per minute. You can also do weird phone things with a land line and a Skype telephone number. The later is extra.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 30, 2010, 10:11 PM
    It's a complete waste of time even attempting to test the connection speed on a dial up connection, especially with any of the current speed test sites as they are geared towards broadband.

What happened to yours Clough ?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 30, 2010, 10:11 PM
    It's a complete waste of time even attempting to test the connection speed on a dial up connection, especially with any of the current speed test sites as they are geared towards broadband.

What happened to yours Clough ?

You can try this one as it using increasing packets: http://www.testmy.net/d_load.php

For those on broadband this site is well worth a look?: http://www.speedtest.net/
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2010, 10:26 PM
    It won't start! I think that I just need to replace the power supply. However, I had taken the hard drive out and got it mixed up with some other hard drives.

So now, I don't know which one is which! :eek:

I can do the job, but since I'm not a techie, I tend to put that sort of thing off because I have to think so much in order to do it.

By the way... I went and bought some jumpers and I think that a friend of mine scooted them out the door of my truck when she got out! Not positive about that, though... They were in a tiny bag, but I haven't found them yet.
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2010, 11:21 PM
    Okay. I used Broadband Speed Test and Internet Bandwidth Community

Turns out that I'm "zipping" around at the incredibly fast speed of 36 Kbps or 0 Mbps (4 kB/s)! Wow, that's great! NOT!! :eek:

Also got the following message from that site:

"Ouch, are you on dial-up or something? Your connection scored 0.5/5 stars..."
    Man! Do I miss listening and watching the YouTube videos!
    jhonnydeep Posts: 26, Reputation: 5

Sep 16, 2010, 12:30 PM
    You can test your internet speed here www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test they are offering free service for unlimited tests... you can test your internet speed test for unlimited at free of cost...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Map and Mileage Sites That Are Really Easy to Use If You Have a Slow Connection? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, All! What are some map and mileage sites to use if you have a slow connection and the usual ones like, Google Maps , Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic and MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map might take forever to load? Are there other sites that don't have as much on them...

Looking for generic info on troubleshooting and checking out new variable speed mtrs. [ 3 Answers ]

Quick way to diagnose var. spd. Mtrs. (not multi speed mtrs, ex. 3spd mtrs.)

Speed of Internet connection [ 4 Answers ]

I'm using AOL with a download speed of up to 8Megs, I've noticed that the speed of my Internet experience is getting slower. I use a Netgear router DG834G router connected over cable to the main PC I'm only getting 1.2-2.3Megs on the speed testers, how can I chk the capabilities of my line ...

Determining Connection Speed [ 5 Answers ]

On a program I have, I have to choose my connection speed. The choices are: 56 kbps 100 kbps 300+ kbps But my connection speed says 54.0 mbps Which one do I set it too?

Your Internet Connection Speed [ 8 Answers ]

Hey everyone, it's been a long time since I visited, it says I haven't been on since dec 6th, I was gone due to work, xmas shopping, and traveling. Anways I was wondering what kind of internet connection everyone uses. Back in my home in California I have cable internet, which is great and super...

View more questions Search