Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yamablu2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2010, 04:05 PM
    What effect does water softener salt have on septic tank
    I have well water that is very hard, a lot of iron, and has sulphur. Will the salt used in a water softener hurt the concrete septic tank and or the leach field?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 30, 2010, 04:37 PM

Not if you'll tell me where the backwash terminates. Back to you, Tom
    Perry525 Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

May 1, 2010, 08:59 AM
    Salt is an antiseptic, it does two things to damage your septic and drain field.
    One, it kills the microbes that you need to convert your toilet into carbon dioxide and methane gases, that means the tank will fill up quickly and cost to have it emptied.
    Two, it hardens the soil round your drain field and makes it water proof, then you need a new drain field that costs thousands.
    Used correctly, that is to say, only used for things you have already eaten, a septic tank and drain field will need to be emptied every 20 to 30 years. That means, used by the correct number of people.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flooded Salt Tank in Kenmore H2O Softener [ 9 Answers ]

Hello. I purchased a new-ish home (1 year after it was built) that has a model 625.388170 (or maybe 625.388180 - same manual for both) H2O softener. Until today, I had every reason to believe that all was fine with this unit. I generally do not let the salt level get very far down before refilling...

Water softener salt bridge [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Kenmore water softener about 14-18 mo. Old. For at least 5 mo. I have had a recurring salt bridge. I break it up as per manual instructions, and the salt level goes down about 1/2 inch before the salt bridge recurs. There is no odor, no discoloration, just a water softener that doesn't do...

Rainsoft Water Softener - Salt tank not filling with water? [ 1 Answers ]

Put a bag of salt in my softener today and it appeared to be way over the brine level. Checked on it a few hours later and still had dry pellets on top. Manually regenerated the system - no fill. Letting it go through its cycle now, but wondering if there's something I'm overlooking. There's...

Water Softener Using Excessive Salt [ 3 Answers ]

I have a water softener that is approximately 10 years old. Over the past few months it Has started to use an excessive amount of salt; now up to about 200 pounds per month. Should I replace it or is there an easy fix?

Water softener doesn't use any salt [ 1 Answers ]

My water softener runs but never uses any salt. Any ideas as to the problem? Thanks

View more questions Search