Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask

View Poll Results: What should the status of Puerto Rico be ?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remain a territory with some advantages but reduced representation

5 41.67%
  • A State

4 33.33%
  • An independent nation

3 25.00%
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2010, 03:50 PM
    Puerto Rico statehood
    I have no definitive opinion on this . I work with Puerto Ricanos ,and the ones who have moved here across the board think they are American. However ;there is no doubt that many enjoy the special status that territory brings.Currently, Puerto Rico has "commonwealth" status. Those living there are American citizens, but they do not pay federal income taxes, though they are hit with federal payroll taxes for Social Security. Like Washington, D.C. Puerto Rico has a non-voting delegate in the U.S. House.

The House of Representatives' unanimous approval of legislation allowing for a plebiscite in the territory.(not sure if the Senate will not stall the whole process)
    If more than 50 percent of Puerto Rico voters vote "No," the referendum will proceed to a second round during which voters will be asked to vote for either independence, independence in association with the United States, or statehood.
    The bill, H.R. 2499, passed by a wide margin, 223-169.
    House bill orders Puerto Rico to vote on political status | guampdn.com | Pacific Daily News

Congress in effect has asked the territory to have a referendum to decide on the issue of statehood. The island, from information I have gathered, is split on the issue. Some want the island to be independent ;some want statehood ,and some like the current territory status.

But ; the question that so far is unanswered and unasked is ;what do the American people think of statehood for the island ?

“I’m convinced that the framers of the Constitution, the founding fathers, never intended for this relationship to last 112 years,” Fortuno told Fox News during the congressional debate.

One member who voted against the measure thinks Congress is going about this all wrong. Washington State Republican. Rep. Doc Hastings, believes the House is “blessing a process by which we are asking them if they want to become a state.” Hastings continued, “to me that's backwards.”
    Puerto Rico State Debate Continues Liveshots

Both are right .

Will a referendum in favor on the island be sufficient to admittance ?

To brush up on the process here is the steps needed for a territory to become a State .

A petition needs to be sent to the
    Congress from the people of the territory that wants to be admitted.(this is the current stage of the process .If the above referendum is passed by the people of Puerto Rico then the ball begins to roll.

If the Congress honors the petition it passes an Enabling act. This authorizes the people of the territory to draw up a state constitution.

This state constitution framed, and ratified at the polls by the people of the territory, is then submitted to congress.

If Congress finds everything in order, statehood legislation is debated and, if approved ,and signed by the President. Then the President makes a proclamation of a new State.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2010, 07:17 PM

So, lets say puerto rico becomes a state. How does that effect (or is it affect?) the rest of us that are already states?
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2010, 03:22 AM

I think that if the people of Puerto Rico really wanted statehood the initiatlve would've begun there instead of in Congress.
    The people have voted in the past to keep the status quo. If I lived there I'd do the same.They don't pay income tax. They receive all the benefits, but have none of the shared financial responsibilities that other states have .

On the other hand I agree with the governor of Puerto Rico, Luis Fortuno that the framers of the Constitution probably did not intend the United States to be continuous holders of territory /colonies.

I guess I think statehood is the better option over independence or the current territory status. I don't see how it would be a negative to the nation.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 1, 2010, 06:02 AM

They'd be better off as independants. Taxes or no, they are helping to pay for our debt.
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2010, 11:53 AM

The people of PR have consistently voted overwhelmingly against independence. It has never balloted above 5% .
    But in the 3 attempts before;the people in a split decision decided to retain the current status.

Justcurious brings up an interesting point. No one asks the people of the United States what they think . The preliminary polling on this OP also shows an even split.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2010, 03:41 PM

Haha. I thought that's what you were asking, what americans think about it. If I were a puerto rican, I think I'd want it to stay how it is too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paternity in Puerto Rico [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has discovered he may have fathered a child outside of our marriage. It was before we were married but while we were "together" in a long distance relationship. Needless to say this is a very hard time. We have a daughter of our own as well as my stepson. This woman is manipulating...

Do I need a visa to go to Puerto Rico? [ 3 Answers ]

I currently work in New York with a H1-B nonimmigration status. I wonder if I need a visa to travel to Puerto Rico? Do I need to have a US visa when getting back from Puerto Rico? Thanks a lot!

Non US Citizen Visiting Puerto rico [ 1 Answers ]

I am visiting USA with a visit Visa for some client meetings, would like to know if I can enter Puerto rico with the same Visa? I am an Indian Citizen holding Indian Passport.

Property in Puerto Rico [ 2 Answers ]

My dad died in 1985 and left property without a will, this property is currently being rented and my oldest brother collects all the funds and makes sure the taxes are paid. There was 8 siblings, 3 have since died so there are only 5 left . We now have this property under contract for sale. We all...

View more questions Search