Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hferg3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2006, 11:21 AM
    Question on community property state
    Hello,
    The state in question is Texas. My father and mothers name is on the house deed. Recently, my father died. The house passes to my mother I think. My father had some credit card debt. The creditors are saying that they can take the house? I thought that they couldn't take the house or car away from my mother. Can they take the house or car to pay my fathers depts? To my knowledge, there is no estate, there's no money.
    Thanks for the help.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 5, 2006, 11:27 AM
    They lie. Depending on how the deed was structured the house probably passed to your mother outside his estate. If they were listed on the deed as Joint Tenants with right of Survorship, that is definitely the case. The ONLY claim they have is on your father's estate. If there was any funds in the estate, they needed to be used to pay off his debts first.

But credit card debt is unsecured. Most states do not allow attaching a primary residence to satisfy such debt.

Did your father leave a will? Did he name an executor? The only thing the credit card companies can do is sue the estate. There would then need to be an accounting of his assets and how they were spent.

Most likely they are bluffing, hoping to intimidate you into paying.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2006, 11:38 AM
    Hello h:

Your dad's estate included his liabilities along with his assets. The credit card bill was also inherited by your mother. But, no. They can't take away the house or the car. If your mom doesn't pay, they can sue. If they get a judgment, they can file a lien on the house. That means that your mom will have to pay the lien WHEN she sells the house - not before. If she has a bank account, they can attach that, and if she earns wages, they can garnish that.

However, maybe a refinance of the house to consolidate your dad's debt might be an answer. It's not really a good idea to spread credit card payments over 30 years, but if that's the only option open to your mom...

excon

PS> If the creditors are saying what you say they are, get it on tape or keep the letters. That is in direct violation with the "Fair Debt Collection Practices Act", of 1968". That law prevents them from threatening to do anything that they can't legally do. They can be fined $1,000 per day for every day they violate that law.

You're not going to get that money, but if they're breaking the law, it gives your mom leverage in her negotiations with them.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Dec 5, 2006, 11:42 AM
    Creditors can go against the estate and probably NOT the equity in the house since it passes to your mother.

Your mother needs to discuss homestead options in TX.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 5, 2006, 11:51 AM
    I disagree with excon on your mom being responsible for the debt. Unless her name was on the card accounts, then the debt goes against the estate, NOT the beneficiaries of the estate.

The house MIGHT have been part of the estate, but not if they held it as Joint tenants. The only way she would be responsible for those debts is if she got money from the estate and used it without first paying off the debts.
    hferg3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2006, 06:26 PM
    Thanks for the help. I think she is going to get a lawyer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hedges on property line - Washington State [ 9 Answers ]

Well... I've done something foolish and now I need to know what I can (or should) do about it. We have a nice view of Mount Ranier from the patio in front of our home. Over the last few months, the hedge that separates my house and the house next door has grown so tall that it blocked the view...

Question on state taxes for L1 visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am confused for Ohio state taxes I wanted to know that for filing state tax for Ohio state is there something like a standard deduction. If yes then how much is the amount for standard deduction If I claim standard deduction on my federal taxes can I claim standard deductions on...

Three State Tax Question [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, This is the first time I will be filing for taxes and I have three states involved. I was hoping I could list my situation and someone could tell me what forms I need and what to do. January 05-June 05: Having graduated college in PA in 12/04, I remained in my college town and worked a...

Question about property taxes in CA [ 1 Answers ]

If I buy a house for $600,000 in California, my mother's Dad said that the property taxes will be $9000. Is this true? Is it the same for townhomes or condos?

View more questions Search