Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caprice Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Dec 5, 2006, 11:13 AM
    To host or not to host out of town guests?
    Is it considered rude to suggest family members to stay at a hotel when they come to your state for a visit? My husband and I live near a "tourist-y" city. We both work full time jobs with long hours. His brother mentioned he would like to visit soon when their boys get a bit older. I unfortunately do not feel comfortable leaving my home unattended with the sister-in-law as she chooses not to watch her kids and is disrespectful towards my husband and myself. My husband and I were just recently married and she bragged to our guests how she loves coming to these events because she gets a break from watching her kids. Her husband advised us they actually got into an argument due to her carefree attitude at our wedding because he stepped up to the plate a few months ago when her sister was married and he took care of the kids. As much as I would like to spend some quality time with our nephews, as well as the brother and SIL (if possible), I do not feel compelled to open our home to them. We can still spend time with them despite them not staying with us. Am I being unreasonable? I just don't want to put us into an uncomfortable situation, especially when we have been taken advantage by them in the past. Thank you in advance for your comments and opinions!
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2006, 12:10 PM
    I believe that you should do what makes your husband and yourself comfortable. If they do not stay at your house, I would make a point to take them to dinner, do something fun with the kids, and/or perhaps have your SIL and brother over for drinks. This way it does not seem like you do not want to see them, which I know is not the case.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2006, 03:32 PM
    You are NOT being rude.

It is YOUR home, not hers.

When they come, meet them, but don't let them stat with you.

And I wouldn't blame you either….brother, SIL, kids, house will get small, especially if you don't truest the SIL to watch out for your personal possessions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Path to local host [ 4 Answers ]

A new area for me for sure. Some has made a PHP page for me to lookat. The file was index.txt. He said I had to install the apache server to correctly look at it. I did and it says installed correctly. When I type in http://localhost I get the opening page, but for the life of me I can not get the...

Family wedding guests [ 3 Answers ]

If a bride says she is inviting immediate family, including siblings and their children, is it proper etiquette for her to exclude her one brother's children?

I will be out of town for a few weeks.. . [ 6 Answers ]

And I'm not sure how often I will have computer access. I will answer questions when I can, I will also be checking my [email protected] email address. So those with ceiling fan questions, please be patient, or perhaps Rick, Labman, and/or TK will step in. Thank you!

Ribbon guests [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know if anyone has ever heard of including an enclosure in the invitation that says Ribbon Guests for family to give the ushers when entering the church.

View more questions Search