Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Larken85 Posts: 696, Reputation: 146

Apr 29, 2010, 11:15 PM
    My Dog is acting strange
    I have a Lab Collie Mix of 9 years old. She is usually very playful and energetic. From the time I woke up this morning to the time I went to work, I noticed that she was not playing at all. She would stand in one spot for an extended period and droop her head in almost a submissive posture. Her tail stops wagging when she does this until someone says her name. She just started walking backwards a few steps today too which is something I have never known her to do. She is allowed to get on the couchs and beds but instead she is choosing not to climb up onto them. To the best of my knowledge she did not get hurt and she doesn't act as if she has. Oh, she is hot just above her eyes, like she has a fever or something.

She is eating fine, pooping fine, and drinking plenty of water too. She acts like she is almost depressed or scared of something, and if I didn't know any better I would say its depression.

Anyone have even the slightest idea what could have caused this huge change in personality for her?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2010, 01:13 AM

Any changed around home lately?

Longer working hours, new pets, people visiting more often?

It could be any one of a number of things unfortunately, from a simple urinary infection making her feel a bit off color, to depression to something worse.

I would get her checked out by a vet to rule out any medical problems as to why she is not acting herself.

Apr 30, 2010, 02:22 AM

This is what I was thinking too. If this doesn't clear up in a day or so I am taking her in.

Nothing has changed really, my sister's friend has been over more often but not in the last couple days... You don't think she misses my sister's little friend do you? That would be really odd. No new pets... I have been taking every chance I get (which is three days a week) to go for several hours of hiking. But I always come back home and play with her too. I don't think that has much to do with it as I have moved away from her a couple times and she seemed fine on those two times I guess. Or so my mother tells me... But Nicoles friend hasn't been around in a couple days... Maybe that's it...

Not that they play together though. She just seems drained of all energy and life. I want my dog back. It is going to crush me when that dog dies, so it better not be soon dang it.

I'll get her into a vet on Monday if she hasn't gotten better by then.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 30, 2010, 04:21 AM

Any exposure to pesticides or fertilizers?

If you do take your dog to the vet, ask them to check her blood sugar levels for hypoglycemia. Liver diseases can also cause many different strange behaviors. Not to scare you at all, it really could be that she is a bit down for one reason or another. High blood pressure is another contributing facor to strange or off color behavior.

Apr 30, 2010, 04:25 AM

Hmm, thank you aurora. I will be sure to have them check if we go.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2010, 12:13 AM

Is she drooling excessively? Drinking more water than usual?

Your dog could very well depressed. Even though dogs are animals, they still exhibit the same emotional stressed. They can be down due to a pack member leaving. They can also sense when there is something wrong within the pack (your family).

If the vet check comes out clean, then she's more than likely depressed. Its hard getting a dog out of depression. Typically pills are prescribed.

Good Luck.

May 2, 2010, 10:23 PM

Actually its not depression after all. She seems to be suffering from a blockage in her intestins.She cannot poop now, and she wasn't eating for 2 days. Every time she ate she threw up.

Today her spirits started returning and she got a little energy back on top of eating quite a bit compaired to before. She still has not pooped, but she did not throw up this time.

I broke the rules a bit, I gave her a laxitive of mineral oil seeing her symptoms. I figured it couldn't hurt to try. A couple hours later she began to play and be active again. Oddly enough still isn't pooping. Don't get it. Hopefully I will have more answers later on this day.
    Uber Member

May 2, 2010, 11:01 PM

Oh wow, that's not something I expected to hear.

Hopefully she can pass the blockage or disperse it on her own, if not then it's going to be expensive unfortunately.

May 2, 2010, 11:27 PM

Yeah I know, problem will be that we don't have the kind of money required you know. I won't know what to do about it.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 2, 2010, 11:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Larken85 View Post
    yeah I know, problem will be that we don't have the kind of money required ya know. I wont know what to do about it.
    Ask the vet to do what you can afford -- palpating her abdomen, asking questions as to what has happened so far, etc. -- and make sure he knows money is not available. Maybe you can work out a barter with him to do work around his office or clinic instead of paying money. Or maybe you and he can work out a payment plan.

What we care about right now is the pup and making sure he is not in pain or near death's door. I'm counting on the vet feeling that way too.

May 2, 2010, 11:55 PM

Oh yes, I agree wondergirl. I am sure our vet will work something out with us. She is a very nice person. One problem is however that they can only schedule us on Friday at the end of this week. I believe she will be OK until then and if her symptoms go away I can always cancel the vet visit. I will come up with the money some how if I can't find a vet payment assistance program. Hopefully I can find one. I have to search though everything I can.

I will get her fixed up and I will make sure she survives with as little pain as possible. She is my daughter more or less and I have always treated her like she is my closest friend. I'll get her help.

May 3, 2010, 12:27 AM

Just as an FYI, I have searched results on Google for help with animal vet bill funding and this site seems to offer a few very good suggestions.

Where to get help paying vet bills

I am going to check some of this out in the morning.
    Dogs Expert

May 3, 2010, 04:09 AM

You can also ask your vet to set up a payment plan. A lot of vets do actually offer this. Especially to long standing customers.

Sorry to hear about your girl! I hope she feels better soon.

May 3, 2010, 04:15 AM

Me too. I am so worried about her. Can't wait to get home and check up on her. Hope she really is feeling better and that yesterday was not just a fluke.

May 3, 2010, 05:57 AM

YAY!! My little girl is getting much better. Her energy is completely back.

Haven't seen her poop yet, but we'll see.
    Uber Member

May 3, 2010, 07:47 PM

I never thought I would say this but I hope you are cleaning up poop soon!

How many days has it been since she went?

May 3, 2010, 08:18 PM

About 3 I guess. She may be going, but we aren't seeing her do it. I don't know if she is or not. Her food has to be going somewhere though, so she has to be pooping. Her stomach is not bloating up so I don't think the food is staying in her system. I donno, it's a mystery.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2010, 08:20 PM

How about going out into the yard and looking? Best way to find out if she's going poo or not. You can also see if its normal poo. Or, if there was anything in it.
    Dogs Expert

May 3, 2010, 08:22 PM

Well if she has a blockage, than she wouldn't be pooping...

May 3, 2010, 08:30 PM

Problem is we can't find hers. There is fresh poop out there, but we believe its our other dogs. So We just are clueless at this point. And she is Black so its impossible to watch her at night too. We got to catch it in the morning or afternoon you know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Acting strange. [ 3 Answers ]

My girlfriend looks away or buries her head in my chest when I look at her. Same thing after a kiss as if she is really shy or uncomfortable, but she loves to cuddle on the couch and in bed. I just can't figure her out. When it comes to sex she openly admits to NEVER being in the mood unless she's...

Ex acting strange? [ 6 Answers ]

I don't know why but ever since we broke up (2 months ago) she has been acting like a skank... I been looking on her myspace and she has been putting stuff like... I need too get laid soooo badly... I'm another notch on a bedpost but w/e... stuff like that... I think she knows I keep looking at her...

Acting strange [ 2 Answers ]

My dog is acting very strange. She has a toy that all of the sudden she won't leave alone. If she is away from the toy she gets very depressed. I've had her for 2 years and she's never acted like this before. It started about two days ago, and we've had the toy since December. What's wrong with...

My cat is acting strange [ 12 Answers ]

My cat has recently lost about 4 pounds in a month. She used to be quite large (15 pounds) and very vocal and fun loving. Recently she has been secluding herself and living under my bed not coming out for anything. If you try to stroke her she kind of growls but sounds like she has no energy (she...

Stray Dog gives birth acting strange [ 4 Answers ]

My friend picked up a stray boxer mix. She recently gave birth but has become very paranoid, panicky and is acting concerned when my friend helps her with the puppies. During the birthing the dog laid on my friends lap and needed help with every pup. WHY the change in attitude? My friend sees her...

View more questions Search