Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Apr 29, 2010, 12:44 PM
    Earthworms-fish food
    Hey, I currently feed my fish, tropical flakes, shrimp pellets, and earthworms. My eels seem to only eat the worms, and its kind of hard for them to eat them because the worms are so long, and the frogs, will just pop up and grab on, its an all out tug-a-war Anyway I was wondering if I could cut the worms up before giving them to my fish?

Also can I cut them up and freeze them? Or is it bad for my fish to eat them dead and frozen?

Thank you
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 01:09 PM

Hi again rex's mom. Yes you can cut the worms up, many of us do for fishing purposes and in the wild, they really do re-generate after being broken in two, or three or four...

Yes, you can freeze them because that's how they live anyway until the spring when they come up. They wouldn't take long to thaw at room temp.

Tick
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 04:12 PM

My dad did this all the time for his fish. The cutting up part was gross and I refused to do it, but the fish loved it. :)

I remember one time when then went away for 2 weeks. I went to get a frozen dinner out of the fridge that my mom had prepared. Instead of chicken, I got a tupperware container filled with chopped up frozen worms. :(

Mark your containers. That's all I can tell you. ;)
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Apr 30, 2010, 03:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    My dad did this all the time for his fish. The cutting up part was gross and I refused to do it, but the fish loved it. :)

I remember one time when then went away for 2 weeks. I went to get a frozen dinner out of the fridge that my mom had prepared. Instead of chicken, I got a tupperware container filled with chopped up frozen worms. :(

Mark your containers. That's all I can tell you. ;)
    Yesterday, I was trying to cut them up, and it took a lot of courage:DLOL
    And a lot of lung capacity as I screamed the whole time.

I cut it and guts came out... Ugh. Then my Blood Parrot Cichlid, Bubbles, went up and grabbed a piece and swallowed it whole like a piece of spaghetti:eek:... I'm scarred for life after that!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2010, 05:38 AM

My fish get frozen blood worms.
    They come in little blocks joined together (kinda like chocolate) I just snap a block off and put it in a little warm water.
    Blood worms are really small so there's no need for cutting and the fish go nuts for them.
    Pets Expert

Apr 30, 2010, 01:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    My fish get frozen blood worms.
    They come in little blocks joined together (kinda like chocolate) I just snap a block off and put it in a little warm water.
    Blood worms are really small so there's no need for cutting and the fish go nuts for them.
    My dad used those too.

His fish always got the best of the best, no flakes for them. ;)

I'm still not eager to get a frozen meal out of the freezer though. The cut up warms and frozen Angel fish experiences have made me weary of rubber maid containers in the freezer.
    Pets Expert

Apr 30, 2010, 01:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rex123 View Post
    Yesterday, I was trying to cut them up, and it took a lot of courage:DLOL
    And a lot of lung capacity as I screamed the whole time.

I cut it and guts came out...Ugh. Then my Blood Parrot Cichlid, Bubbles, went up and grabbed a piece and swallowed it whole like a piece of spaghetti:eek:...I'm scarred for life after that!
    Ew!! I won't be making spaghetti tonight, or this year. :eek: ;)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2010, 12:16 AM

Bloodworms pack more nutrients too and give the fish better color.

Never was a fan of feeding fish earthworms.. Even the farm raised ones.

Way too icky :P :P

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can fish choke on their food? [ 9 Answers ]

My fish just died. I don't know what to do, I'm really sad. I had just cleaned his tank. The water was a little warmer than normal, but it wasn't anywhere near hot. And I used the water purifier. He was swimming around okay and really enthusiastically, and then I fed him. I only have him 3 or 4...

How do I get rid of these earthworms in my bathroom. [ 11 Answers ]

How do I get rid of earthworms in my bathroom. My bathroom seems to be infested by earthworms. Every morning its unpleasant to see large earthworms in the bathrom. I pour a little disinfectant over the bathroom hole every night and keep it covered with a water filled bucket but still some how they...

I have a 20 gallon fish tank and my fish are dying [ 6 Answers ]

I got a fish tank and evrything was good and my fish were having fish, and I just added water to the fish tank and just 2 days ago I notes that every time that I check my fish tank there are a lot of fish dead I want to know why?

Worm Farming-Live fish food [ 8 Answers ]

So I'm wanting to start ''worm farming'' with earthworms as a renewable source of live food for my fish. Is this safe? Also could I dig some up in my backyard or should I buy some from a bait store? And does anyone have any tips? Thanks

Sinking wafers.fish food [ 4 Answers ]

I'm doing a science project and was wondering if there is a way to make the sinking wafers that you feed fish, disolve in to the water? It's not going to kill anything, just dirty up a beaker so we can observe it with snails. Any help greatly appreciated!

View more questions Search