Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 09:52 AM
    Rerouting Vent for Kitchen Sink Drain
    Looking for ideas on how to route the vent for the kitchen sink. The sink sits directly in front of a window, and as originally designed the vent runs inside the wall up behind the sink to just below the window, then turns left and goes through several cripple studs under the window framing, then through the jack stud and king stud for the window header, then it turns up and wends its way to the attic and roof. The problem is that as originally built the holes through these studs are too large, and with changes we're making to the framing of the house these studs will be required to carry more load than they did previously. We've looked into using stud shoes to shore up the studs, but the architect doesn't like this idea. I'm wondering what other solutions there might be. How are vents normally through supporting studs like this? Or is there another way - such as routing the vent outside the house? Looking for ideas - thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 10:03 AM

You could skip the stack and use an AAV if your plumbibg code allows them.
    Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 10:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    You could skip the stack and use an AAV if your plumbibg code allows them.
    Thanks - I found this, which looks like a nice solution for installing an air admittance valve with outdoor venting:

Auto vents and automatic home sewer vents from FAMOUS PLUMBING SUPPLY

We used one of these AAVs for venting the washing machine in our previous house, and to be honest - it made the laundry room stink after each load was done. So if I go this route I want it vented outside. I'll check to see whether our town allows it.

Apr 29, 2010, 10:15 AM

AAV are mechanical and can fail. If you had a sewer smell in the laundry area that AAV wasn't functioning properly.
    Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 10:44 AM

Bad news - AAV's are not allowed by local code.

Good news - we've just figured out a way of replacing the existing sink drain by routing it horizontally to the left out of the sink base cabinet into a dead area between cabinets, and then down through the floor in this dead area. So now we can T the vent into the drain in that dead area, thus avoiding all the load bearing studs. So - problem solved!

Apr 29, 2010, 07:44 PM

I was afraid of that, manycodes do not allow them
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 30, 2010, 04:57 PM

So now we can T the vent into the drain in that dead area
    By "dead area" do you mean that the drain has nothing draining in it and eit xits out the roof?
    Let me know, Tom
    Widdershins Posts: 87, Reputation: 5

May 1, 2010, 04:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Bad news - AAV's are not allowed by local code.

Good news - we've just figured out a way of replacing the existing sink drain by routing it horizontally to the left out of the sink base cabinet into a dead area between cabinets, and then down through the floor in this dead area. So now we can T the vent into the drain in that dead area, thus avoiding all the load bearing studs. So - problem solved!
    If you are going to run the vent horizontally through the cabinets as well, hold it as high as possible and use drainage fittings (long sweeps) where applicable.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 1, 2010, 05:41 AM

Widdershins,
    I'm curious, Since this will be used as a vent why use drainage fittings, (long sweeps) instead of vent ells? Is this code in your area?
    Just wondering, Tom
    Widdershins Posts: 87, Reputation: 5

May 1, 2010, 05:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Widdershins,
    I'm curious, Since this will be used as a vent why use drainage fittings, (long sweeps) instead of vent ells? Is this code in your area?
    Just wondering, Tom
    If it's going to be run horizontally through the cabinets, then it will be below the flood rim of the sink, which would require the use of drainage fittings.
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

May 1, 2010, 06:34 AM

You could install an 'island vent' to vent this sink.

You can also vent the sink through a side wall.

Stud shoes are code approved and can be used even if your architect doesn't like them.

Home much or how many holes are bored through cripple studs under a window are pretty much irrelevant because they are not really load bearing. The loads from above are transferred to the jack and king studs via the header.

As long as only the jack and king stud are bored through and structural stud shoes are installed, there is no problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain and Vent for a second kitchen sink [ 3 Answers ]

We are adding a prep sink to our kitchen. There is a 2 inch ABS vertical drain/vent pipe in the exterior wall of the house that is only a few feet away from the new sink that I want to tap in to. We have a two story house and this pipe vents and drains the upstairs bathroom sinks and possibly the...

Relocating Sink Drain/Vent to Dedicated Stack Serving Kitchen Sink & Dishwasher [ 3 Answers ]

I am relocating an upstairs vanity sink from one wall to another (also going from single to double bowl). Rather than relocate the drain and vent pipe, I am hoping that I can tie into a 1-1/2" copper vent pipe that is located right behind the vanities intended location. The copper vent pipe is from...

Rerouting the kitchen vent pipe [ 3 Answers ]

We want to put a window in our kitchen over the sink. After taking down the sheet rock, we noticed the 1 1/2" vent pipe is in the way. Would it still work correctly, if we put in some 90 degree bends to reroute the pipe, so it isn't in the way, & connect it back into the roof pipe, to prevent rain...

Kitchen sink relocation- Drain and vent question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I want to relocate the sink to the opposite wall. This is about 10' from the current location. Can I just extend the drain pipe under the floor from old to the new location ? I am not quite sure if there other code requirements. I think a slope of 1/4 per foot is one requirement. Thanks,...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

View more questions Search