Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 30, 2010, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post

Can't wait for Ticks pics tomorrow. I love it when someone brings a new four legged bundle of love into their home. :)
    I just can't wait to see the dog, let alone pics. What a flaky bunch they are. She still hasn't called, so here am I on an overnight shift home at 0600
    Saturday , sleeping, god knows how long, the waiting till she shows up. Her mother said anytime Saturday. Her phone is disconnected, so even her mom can't get ahold of her.

Tick
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 30, 2010, 04:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I just can't wait to see the dog, let alone pics. What a flaky bunch they are. She still hasnt called, so here am I on an overnight shift home at 0600
    Saturday , sleeping, god knows how long, the waiting till she shows up. Her mother said anytime Saturday. Her phone is disconnected, so even her mom can't get ahold of her.

tick
    That's stressful. You must be jumping out of your skin right now Tick.

I'm sure it well all go well. I can't wait for you to get her in you home, in your care, then we can all breath a sigh of relief knowing she's in good hands at last. :)

So, shopping at the pet store for treats on Sunday? ;)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 30, 2010, 04:31 PM
    We found some fantastic furry duck squeak toys for the hurricane. When she bites the body they quack! We bought five. I think they were at Wal-mart of all places.
    Pets Expert

Apr 30, 2010, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    We found some fantastic furry duck squeak toys for the hurricane. When she bites the body they quack! We bought five. I think they were at Wal-mart of all places.
    We don't buy squeaky toys anymore, they only last a few minutes with my terrors. They tear the poor things apart.

Today I came home from picking up the kids to find the last of the squeaky toys decapitated in my bed, it's fluffy guts all over the place. :eek:
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 30, 2010, 04:43 PM
    We don't buy squeaky toys anymore, they only last a few minutes with my terrors. They tear the poor things apart.

Today I came home from picking up the kids to find the last of the squeaky toys decapitated in my bed, it's fluffy guts all over the place. :eek:
    Duck is pretty tough. It took her almost two months to "wing" the first one.
    Expert

Apr 30, 2010, 05:07 PM
    That's stressful. You must be jumping out of your skin right now Tick.

I'm sure it well all go well. I can't wait for you to get her in you home, in your care, then we can all breath a sigh of relief knowing she's in good hands at last. :)

I could have had her months ago, but this woman's daughter wanted her. God knows what she has been through. Its like we live in a 'throwawaypetworld' if you now what I mean. You can't just say you want a dog, and then change your mind, and give the dog up to someone else.
    Pets Expert

Apr 30, 2010, 05:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I could have had her months ago, but this woman's daughter wanted her. God knows what she has been through. Its like we live in a 'throwawaypetworld' if you now what I mean. You can't just say you want a dog, and then change your mind, and give the dog up to someone else.
    I feel the same way Tick.

I know too many people that get a dog because it's so cute, not thinking of the lifestyle they have, the energy of the breed, the maintenance involved or the costs. When the dog grows up they no longer want it.

It's the same with all animals. I have a friend that got rid of her two cats a few years ago because they were urinating on her bedding and they were just too much work. She swore she'd never get more cats.

A few months later she saw some kittens at the pet store, ended up buying three of them. Now they're also full grown, not fixed because they can't afford it, and starting to spray all over the house. She wants to re-home them and get kittens. :mad:

She also got a dog (puppy) a few years ago. Yes, he's adorable, and as a puppy he wasn't a lot of work. He is now a large dog with a very thick coat that needs to be brushed daily. Neither her or her husband feel up to the task. The poor dog was is in the backyard all day, left alone. She asked me to take him which I was willing to do, then changed her mind after he spent 2 weeks with us and she realized that he's not badly behaved at all, he just needs love.

Her solution, buy another large breed dog so he has a friend. :(

So far the second dog is just a puppy, and he is kept in the backyard with the first dog, barking, digging, and still not getting the direction, training and love they need.

The second dog is a pitbull mix. They have three children under 7 and don't have time to fulfill the needs of these dogs. The second dog is learning the bad behavior of the first because no one is willing to teach them right from wrong in the world of humans. The neighbors are complaining and the pound has been to their home numerous times to warn them. Still, everything is the same, nothing changes. If the dogs are removed I'm sure they'll just go pick up two puppies to replace them.

It just makes me so mad. They aren't an accessory or a status symbol. They're living, breathing, feeling creatures. They need to be loved and they need to be cared for. You don't toss them out when they get to big or become too much work only to go to the store to buy a new one.

I often wonder if she has three kids because she craves the baby stage, just like she craves the baby animal stage and wants nothing more to do with them when they grow up. :(
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2010, 05:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by albear View Post
    is the 'dog' part of the name of the breed necessary?

usually just call them german shepards :D

They actually are ShepHERDS because they herd animals.

Does it really matter if I refer to them as GSD? If it does, I will change here and on the dog boards.

I don't see the problem - I honestly don't. I have no idea why there are 7 or 8 posts due to my use of GSD.

Isn't there something more important to argue about somewhere? Maybe not.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2010, 05:42 PM

Hi tick:

I'm jealous. I LOVE doggies.

excon
    Pets Expert

Apr 30, 2010, 09:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hi tick:

I'm jealous. I LOVE doggies.

excon
    Why don't you get one Exy?

I see you with a little Shih tzu. :)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2010, 09:24 PM
    I see you with a little Shih tzu. :)
    Hello Alty:

Shih tzu?? That's a gay dog, isn't it? IF I got one, it would be an Afghan. I LOVE blonds.

excon
    Pets Expert

Apr 30, 2010, 09:39 PM
    Hello Alty:

Shih tzu??? That's a gay dog, isn't it? IF I got one, it would be an Afghan. I LOVE blonds.

excon
    That's quite the pick Exy.

I love Afghan hounds, they're beautiful dogs, but very timid and very hard to train.

My friend has one. She's actually black, which isn't a common color for this breed.

The main problem is that they really love to run, and they can easily scale a fence. That's how he lost his first Afghan. She was a shelter rescue, very poorly treated in the past. She was in the back yard, heard a loud noise and scaled their 8 foot fence like it was nothing. They haven't seen her since.

Funny thing is, we didn't know he had gotten an Afghan, and last year we found one in the space between our house and the neighbors (I've never seen this breed around here until her). I trapped her, got a collar around her, started walking her up and down the street in hopes that whoever she'd gotten away from would see her and stop.

She got out of the collar and got away. From the description my friend gave, this was his dog.

There have been a few spottings of her, the last in Calgary, over 3 hours away. :eek:
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 1, 2010, 05:30 AM

Not to mention the constant grooming that needs to go in to them. They mat constantly and mats actually become quite painful for them.

Why not a blonde lab?
    Pest Control Expert

May 1, 2010, 05:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Not to mention the constant grooming that needs to go in to them. They mat constantly and mats actually become quite painful for them.

Why not a blonde lab?
    Ex needs an Afghan. The long hair parted in the middle fits perfectly with his "old hippie" persona. An Irish Setter would work too. How do you feel about redheads, bro?

Going back a few, I didn't mean to cause a fuss about the GSD thing, Judy. I just learned about breeds before the abbreviations came into use.
    Uber Member

May 1, 2010, 07:02 AM
    Hello Alty:

Shih tzu??? That's a gay dog, isn't it? IF I got one, it would be an Afghan. I LOVE blonds.

excon

I can't speak for the whole breed but my sister in law had one - like a lot of blondes she looked good, was high maintenance and was also dumb as rocks.

The dog was so dense it was a problem.

Not saying all blondes, of course.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 1, 2010, 07:03 AM

What is it Cats says? I resemble that remark! :D
    Expert

May 1, 2010, 08:17 AM

Afghans show well in the ring but can't be pets. A high maintenance dog. Lovely to look at, but don't touch, sort of thing.

Tick
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 1, 2010, 09:54 AM

They have a very aloof attitude.

They are actually suppose to have eyes that 'look straight through you'

They can be very loyal to one owner and one owner only.

Uber Member

May 1, 2010, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    What is it Cats says? I resemble that remark!! :D

I'm entitled - I'm blonde.
    Expert

May 1, 2010, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    They have a very aloof attitude.

They are actually suppose to have eyes that 'look straight through you'

They can be very loyal to one owner and one owner only.

My riding partner in Michigan, when I had the farm, had two for show; she was responsible for me having that lovely borzoi, dana who was a rescue. I don't know about the 'eyes that look straight through you'. Her Affies were amazing animals, very regal, very aloof and very kind and well trained.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Doggy Boots [ 7 Answers ]

Have any of you had experience with doggy boots? If you have had success with them, which are the best kinds on the market? What is the difference between them? I'm also looking for other rainy day options. It's for an English cocker spaniel. Thanks!

Doggy daycare [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone think I could start a doggy daycare business living out in the country? The closest city is not very big either.

Doggy refuses to eat doggy food. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a west highland terrier which has been with me for 9 months and recently I just brought him to a doggy's restaurant. Apparently, he has not been the same ever since he came back after the treat and didn't want to touch his dry food anymore. It is actually a far cry from what he was when he...

How much for this doggy [ 1 Answers ]

I have a sclupture that is signed by G. Gori. It is a statue of a lady walking a large great dane that is set on a marble base. I believe this is an Italian artist that worked in the early 1900's. Can anyone tell me more or what its worth and if its of value where to sell it?

Funny Doggy [ 2 Answers ]

Hiya, My 4yr old black labrador Deefa has starting behaving rather odd. He's quite a nervous dog anyway but recently he keeps coming up to either me, my parents or my sister and crying as if he wants something, we give him fresh water, food, cuddles etc etc but he still doesn't settle. This...

View more questions Search