Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klhillman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2006, 06:27 AM
    Statute of Limitations
    What is the statute of limitations on debt in Ontario, Canada? After 17 years, I have a lawyer looking for payment on the probating of my father's will and transfer of his real estate to my name. He forgot to bill for it back then. I forgot about it myself until I went to sell my house and found it wasn't in my name and I had to run around looking for him to finish the job. It was a little nerve-wracking as I could not complete the deal till I found him. As I recall at the time, he wanted me to run around and find the witnesses for my father's will. Say what? I remember thinking at the time, " why am I paying you?" Now he wants payment in what appears to be 2006 prices and it is an expense my finances can't cope with at this time. Does the statute of limitations come to play here. I don't want to stiff the guy but I don't want to get taken either. I'll pay him fairly for the lousey job he did. I'll pay his out of pocket but what's the rule on the time issue?

Thank you in advance for your reply
    KL Hillman
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2006, 10:12 PM
    I'm not sure what it was 17 years ago, but the current law allows for a maximum limitation period of 20 years.

If you feel he is trying to rip you off, tell him that.

You can also file a complaint with the bar and ask the lawyer for a detailed list of pricing and also compare it to what prices were 17 years ago.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of limitations [ 1 Answers ]

I owed money with my ex-husband to a don't pay a cent event on furniture. During our marriage he received letters from the finance company saying that he was pre approved for various amounts of money. He went in to the company and took these loans out on our original loan behind my back. I had...

Statute of Limitations [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not sure if this qualifies as Small Claims or not... several of us have the same claim against a company, and each of our claims is just under $10,000. Between the 3 complainants, the value is closer to $28,000. We paid a Canadian company to outfit us for a trek in Bhutan. They use a...

Statute of Limitations [ 6 Answers ]

My dad received a diseased kidney during transplant in 2005 which the hospital never informed us at all... my mom had to find out on her own... my dad then passed away 2006 because of the transplant with disease the kidney had!! I was curious if we are going for Wrongful Death is it 2 years...

How long till I can't get arested on an out of province warrant . I'm living in another province and I want to go home fer a visit but I have warrents and I want to know when the statute of limitations comes into effect

How long is the statute of limitions for a bad debt- as a debt incured while in a credit- a check that was cashed for someone and deposited in the credit union- this is Oregon

View more questions Search