Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2010, 01:10 PM
    Does a business have to allow customers use of the bathroom?
    A friend of mine manages a retail store in a strip mall. The strip mall does not have any public bathrooms for the customers of the various stores to use. My friend said things have been going missing from their store bathroom and as a result, does not want to allow non-employees to use the restroom any longer. Her concern is that someone has told her there may be a local or state statute which will force her to allow them to use the bathroom, as the mall does not provide one.

Is there a way to find out if this is actual or not? I don't see why her store would be required to provide a restroom for numerous people who may or may not even be shopping at her store.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 27, 2010, 01:14 PM

Mostly it depends on where you live. Some laws like in California have on the books that you can NOT refuse a pregnant woman if she needs to use the bathroom. But as far as general public in most cases it is fine. For some areas if you own an eating establishment or serve food to go you must have a bathroom available for the public. So again its up to the local laws of your area.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Apr 27, 2010, 01:19 PM

Does every othe business in the area have public restrooms? If there IS a statute, then they would all have to follow it. She can try talking to someone with the health department to see if they might have a better idea. Restrooms usually fall under their codes.

What state are you in?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2010, 02:47 PM

We're in Wisconsin. She's not in the restaurant business, they sell clothing. She's just wondering what her legal option would be, if she can actually refuse them use of the bathroom or not.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2010, 03:32 PM

Here there are signs posted that say "No Public Restroom". I guess if she posted the signs she'd be covered. No one here complains about this practice. You CAN ask, but don't expect to use their restroom either.

I'm shocked that the mall does not have any restrooms! What kind of a mall is this anyway? Is it "large" or is it "small"? There should be some sort of building code applicable here for a mall restroom. I'd jump all over the mall first.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 27, 2010, 03:50 PM

There is a very simple solution for this. Go to your local building dept, chamber of commerce or local political representative and ask. This is general covered by local laws.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 27, 2010, 04:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Here there are signs posted that say "No Public Restroom". I guess if she posted the signs she'd be covered. No one here complains about this practice. You CAN ask, but don't expect to use their restroom either.

I'm shocked that the mall does not have any restrooms!! What kind of a mall is this anyway? Is it "large" or is it "small"? There should be some sort of building code applicable here for a mall restroom. I'd jump all over the mall first.
    A strip mall is usually an open air mall that is a small collection of stores that are in the same place and share a common parking lot.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 12, 2010, 05:33 AM

Well this should answer the OP's question:

Assembly passes Restroom Access Act for those with intestinal disorders - JSOnline

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get customers for office cleaning business and small constucution clean-up? [ 9 Answers ]

I was thinking, to get my first customers, I will call local businesses. But,I don't even know what to say to them, and what kind of bids to give them. I already have a couple of office jobs that I do for someone I know. I charge them by the job. They are small easy jobs. What do I say when I call...

Finding Customers for a Service Business in Unusual or Unlikely Places [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, All! If we're self-employed in a service type of industry or maybe run one that has a number of employees where the service involves going to the homes or offices of people, it's a fact that we always have to "hit the streets" so to speak in order to get business, especially so in these...

Is it appropriate to ask out customers [ 4 Answers ]

I work at a liquor store - is it appropriate to ask out a customer?

How do I find customers for my home-based travel business [ 3 Answers ]

I have been a travel consultant for over 20 years working for someone else. Now I have started to a website and would like to know how do I promote it and get customers. **** web site edited out **** FC** How do I have other people see it and go on it to explore travel options? Thanks.

Developing a Business and Strategic Plan in Order to Bring in New Bank Customers [ 1 Answers ]

How to develop a business & strategics to plan to bring new bank customers.

View more questions Search