Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2010, 09:55 AM
    I've been thinking about moving
    I haven't been on here in a LONG time. I feel like I need some input before I think about this anymore than I already have. I'm sure this could go into numerous categories so I'm sorry if I'm posting it in the wrong place. Here's the story and I apologize in advance for the length.

First off, I have not even discussed this with my husband but I plan on seeing if he's even interested in looking into this. If not, then it won't happen.

My grandparents have/had 3 cabins up in Northern Wisconsin that I've been going to (along with the rest of my family) since before I was born. This is the one thing that I used to look forward to more than anything every summer. From the time we would leave to the time we went back I would be wishing I was there. These cabins are right on the lake, the water is crystal clear. I've never seen water so clear. It's just beautiful up there.

My grandma passed away last year and now my grandpa is trying to tie up loose ends. He's going to be selling the cabins. To be honest I always thought the cabins would stay in the family, but we found out that they're not paid off like we all thought they were. He took out a second mortgage on them so he could put money into his business that the previous owner destroyed. There is no way that the family can afford to keep them in the family now. I am absolutely crushed.

So now I've been debating about moving up North to the place I absolutely love, not that I would be able to afford lakefront property, but it would be nice just to be close to a body of water that isn't brown. LOL

I've lived in the same town my whole life. My whole family is here. Most of my husband's family is here. There's nothing that scares me more than packing up and leaving what's familiar to me. My job, my friends, my family, etc. People move all the time. Most of my friends from high school have moved away, but I wouldn't even know where to begin. I'd have to find a place to live, a job, etc, etc. My husband says he wants to move eventually because he's not happy in the city we live in, although I think it's just because he associates it with the bad part of town. We live in a good neighborhood and not far from our jobs.

I just have never felt so torn as whether to go for something or not. I know that my grandparents cabins were a getaway. We would just go up there for a week at a time. Who knows? Maybe it wouldn't even have the same feel if we lived up there. It's just so relaxing up there, sitting on the pier, watching the sun come up... I'm going to miss that so much.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2010, 10:06 AM

Change is always scary. But whether it is good or bad, only you can decide.

It sounds like this place would be a fair way away from civilization right?
    Have you thought about how you would get to work, or where you would work?

Is it so far out you couldn't make the odd trip to see your family, or they could visit you?

I also have lived in the same city my whole life, I can't imagine living anywhere else. But quite a few of my friends made the move interstate and haven't looked back... they love their new lives. We still keep in touch and visit some holidays. It's a lot easier these days with Facebook and video chat.

I don't know if that helped you at all but just some things to consider.
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2010, 10:10 AM

Thanks Shaz, this place is about 15 minutes from the nearest big city. Eagle River, WI. It's only 5 hours from where I live now and I love the trip. I would definitely still be able to visit family or have them come stay with me. I think it would be great, but would definitely miss family. As far as jobs, I was already trying to figure out what I would do. I've been thinking about that for a while now, with our wage freeze here at work and hours being cut. I sell Mary Kay and I know that if I had to I could make that work by itself. I just like the idea of stability and with Mary Kay you can have awesome weeks and then some crumby weeks too.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2010, 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoeMarie View Post
    I just have never felt so torn as whether or not to go for something or not.
    Hello Zoe:

I HATE looking back and regretting stuff I Should have done.

excon
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2010, 10:25 AM

ZoeMarie agrees : yeah I know. I just wonder if I did move if I would regret leaving everyone behind.
    You will never know if you don't try :)

If it doesn't work out you could always sell up, or even rent the place out and move back closer to home.

It sounds beautiful, a little too beautiful for 15 minutes from the city :eek:
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2010, 10:35 AM

Yeah, I'll have to post some pictures. Actually Shaz, the default pic on my Facebook is a pic my husband took of the rocks in the water.
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2010, 10:42 AM

Wow, the water looks beautiful... bet Zoe and Lexi would have a ball in that water... and no need for a bath afterwards! :D
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 27, 2010, 10:43 AM

Remember, as you age and might be less able to get around, you might want to be close to medical facilities, dentists, shopping. But then -- I guess you could always move back to "civilization."

I spent a week near Rhinelander one summer and fought off entire tribes of daddylongleg spiders.
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2010, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Remember, as you age and might be less able to get around, you might want to be close to medical facilities, dentists, shopping. But then -- I guess you could always move back to "civilization."

I spent a week near Rhinelander one summer and fought off entire tribes of daddylongleg spiders.

:eek: pack your bug spray kids!
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2010, 08:44 PM

I'm only 26 so I would be OK for a little while. I kind of brought it up to my husband tonight just to see what he thought. He didn't shoot me down. We'll talk more about it I'm sure. I haven' t noticed a whole lot of daddy long legs up there. Thanks for the input guys. I'll have to think about it some more.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 27, 2010, 09:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoeMarie View Post
    I'm only 26 so I would be ok for a little while. I kinda brought it up to my husband tonight just to see what he thought. He didn't shoot me down. We'll talk more about it I'm sure. I haven' t noticed a whole lot of daddy long legs up there. Thanks for the input guys. I'll have to think about it some more.
    I didn't realize you're that young. Yes, I think I'd grab the opportunity to do something like that, especially if my husband and I are outdoor types who enjoy fishing and hiking and camping and photography and winter sports, etc. The place where you would live is winterized, I presume, and you are certainly used to dealing with snow if you live in Northern Illinois now.

The main thing to keep in mind (warning: I'm an older person) is to still be able to plan for retirement and old age -- in particular, that you both have jobs out of which you can save money and invest for the future.

There is nothing like the smell of pine trees and a freshwater lake or the hoots of owls and the lake's *lap lap lap* as they lull you to sleep. I envy you the opportunity.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Almost 16 thinking of moving out [ 11 Answers ]

Ok my story is long but here are the basics. I am Bulgarian lived in Canada for 5 years with my mom we have moved a lot. A year ago we moved to Edmonton AB and there I met a lot of people that are important to me I ended up falling in love with a girl now me and here where together for 4 months...

The girl that I like is thinking of moving in with her ex. [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone believe in signs? Either a show comes on with the similar situation that you are in, fortune cookie, something that keeps reminding you about a certain person etc... do you think you should act on the signs or follow what your heart feels? Thanks pheniox01

View more questions Search