Dec 5, 2006, 05:39 AM
    Prove by induction
    I need to prove by induction that for every n => 0,
    8/1*3 + 8/5*7 +... + 8/(4n+1)*(4n+3) <= 4

Every help is welcome!
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2006, 05:45 AM
    do you know how to calculate the sum of an infinite series?

If you can show that the sum to infinity of the progression is less than or equal to 4, then you can argue that every other sum is less than four (although this isn't induction)
    Gilgames Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2006, 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    do you know how to calculate the sum of an infinite series?

If you can show that the sum to infinity of the progression is less than or equal to 4, then you can argue that every other sum is less than four (although this isnt induction)
    It is okay, I've found it! Thank you for your immediate reply! You can indeed solve it by induction. For n = 0, it's true, since 8/3 < 4. Let's suppose it holds true for n=k. Then we have to show that it's true for n=k+1. I had to rewrite the whole series, adding 8/[4(k+1)+1][4(k+1)+3], and get this on the other side. Then all that remains is calculating the result, which proves what we had supposed earlier! Thx anyway!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I defeat a quit claim deed or prove duress? [ 5 Answers ]

I am divorcing my husband of 17 years, his girlfriend is getting in the way. He also thinks I spend too much time taking care of our 9 yr old autistic child... We bought our house (with 10K downpayment from my father) in 1990. Arizona is a community property state :) Community funds have paid the...

Can this prove infidelity? [ 6 Answers ]

My husband left our marriage abruptly a few months ago. I have circumstanstial evidence that he is cheating on me. I was told that infidelity in my state (Rhode Island) can only be proven if you catch the two parties "in the act" or by finding vehicles of the parties overnight together. I have...

Induction [ 4 Answers ]

I’m doing a induction proof and need to find a way to prove (k(k+1)(k+2))/3 + k + 1 = ((k+1)(k+2)(k+3))/3. thanks

Mathematical Induction [ 1 Answers ]

Using Mathematical Induction Solve: 1/2*3/4*... *(2n-1)/(2n)<srqt(3n+1)

I'm not getting cheeky, but how can you prove this stuff is true? [ 8 Answers ]

Psychics, fortune tellers e.t.c I don't know man, but gees I don't think this stuff is real and something one can actually apply and take into consideration in the choices one makes. Does anyone beg to differ?

View more questions Search