Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elysewong Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2010, 08:30 AM
    23 year old female caught in Wal-Mart for theft under $5000 in Ontario Canada, help?
    I did it, and I'm ashamed. I will probably get chastised in the comments, but I do need some answers, so here I am. It happened at a Wal-Mart, all in all I took less than $40 worth of products. No police were involved at the time. It was my very first offence, I've had no priors, not even speeding tickets. The security checked, cleared it and told me I wouldn't have a record, and that I'll be banned from Wal-Mart, reasonably.

Today, I got a call from the police station, the cop called me to give me a 'warning' and a 'caution'. He told me that should an employer do a Criminal Background Check on me, they will not find anything, but it will show up if they run a local check. And that I should not have problems at airports. My concern is this stalling me from future jobs. The questions I have are:

- Am I eligible for a 'Diversion program' through a charitable donation or community service? Or something that can get rid of this entirely.

- For employment or any other causes, will I need to check the box that asks me "Have you ever been convicted as a criminal offense".

- My understanding is that employers will ask me to pay for a criminal record check, will they also ask me to do this for local check (where my record will show the theft)? Or will they be able to get this information themselves? It would be great to know so that I can kind of expect the outcome of the job offer.

- I have read somewhere about someone who also got a warning, he said that the cop told him it will go away in a few years. Is this true?

- Will I be able to pardon this in a few years?

Any help would be much appreciated, and any harsh words, well, I guess will be expected. But if you can include a few useful tips while bashing me, that would be great.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 27, 2010, 08:48 AM

If you were never charged then you can't get a pardon or a diversion. It appears it was merely a warning that could be done on a report but no charges made.

If you were charged, they would do finger printing and photo, and you would have to go to court.

Do unless you plead guilty, received a ticket or went to court there was no criminal charge

No record of this will show up in a criminal record check.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under $5000 in ontario, canada [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I am 18 years old and was recently caught trying to walk out of walmart with unpaid cosmetics in my purse. The loss prevention officer took me to the back and read me my rights, and we waited for a police officer to arrive who charged me with theft under $5000. I have a date set for...

I have been charge for theft 5000 dollars in ontario wall mart and itsmy first time. [ 4 Answers ]

I got busted for stealing jewlery worth about $15-20 from wall mart first time and I have nvr done any thing like this before I was take in security room and I am 18 high school student will I get community service hours or whts going to happen can any oen tell me asap and do I need lawyer for that

Theft under $5000 in Ontario, Canada - court appearance in 3 days [ 19 Answers ]

Hi, My sister recently told me that you was caught shoplifting at Zellers in March and that she has to appear in court soon (she has been keeping this to herslef all this time). She was 18 when this happened and I have no clue what to do in this situation. We cannot hire a laywer (we can't...

Fraud and theft charges over $5000.00 in Ontario Canada [ 3 Answers ]

A friend of mine has been charged with theft and fraud. He embazzled over $80,000.00 while he was the president of a soccer association. He wrote himself checks and also took cash. He bankrupted the soccer association. Will he serve time in jail?? Will he have to pay back the money?? He has...

View more questions Search