Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2010, 05:54 AM
    Is it okay to hold a dog back when they seizure?
    I have a dalmatian that has seizures, when he seizures he likes to run but this obviously is unsafe. I am wondering if it is okay for me to hold him. I usually straddle him and put my arms around his neck, kind of like hugging him. Do you think this is okay? Or do you have a better suggestion?
    Thanks in advance everyone!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2010, 05:56 AM

How can a dog run when the dog is having seizures?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 27, 2010, 06:10 AM

No, you aren't supposed to hold them while they are having serizures. The best thing you can do is protect his head, and make sure he doesn't hit it off anything, stay calm, he can feel your nervousness, and stay away from his mouth! It can snap down in voluntarily.. believe me!
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2010, 06:49 AM
    When he seizures he throws himself against things, I'm thinking it's to stop himself, I can tell when he is about to have one so usually I gently place him on the ground and hold him until he is done. When I hold him though he doesn't seem to want to run as much. It is really hard to protect his head when he is flying around uncontrollably.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2010, 06:54 AM

When a dog (or a person for that matter) has a seizure the best thing you can do is just do remove anything they can hurt themselves with from the immediate area.
    So if there are hard toys, throw them out of the way, if there is a table, push it aside.

If the seizures are severe then it would be OK to just try and keep the dog from shimmying across the floor by gently holding them in place... don't hold them tight.

Comfort the dog as much as possible once the seizure is over.
    It is very scary for them and a hug from you and a soothing voice goes a long way.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 27, 2010, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94 View Post
    When he seizures he throws himself against things, I'm thinking it's to stop himself, I can tell when he is about to have one so usually I gently place him on the ground and hold him until he is done. When I hold him though he doesn't seem to want to run as much. It is really hard to protect his head when he is flying around uncontrollably.
    Is he 'running around' as he feels the seizure coming on then stopping during the full seizure? Does the 'running' continue after the seizure begins if he isn't stopped and held? Can you guide him into a safe place and let him make it through the seizure then comfort him?
    Dogs Expert

Apr 27, 2010, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94 View Post
    Sorry, what I meant was basically what Shaz said. Just move things out of his reach 'so to speak'.
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2010, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    Is he 'running around' as he feels the seizure coming on then stopping during the full seizure? Does the 'running' continue after the seizure begins if he isn't stopped and held? Can you guide him into a safe place and let him make it through the seizure then comfort him?
    When the seizure first starts he stops what he is doing (usually going for a walk) and then he hunches his back stays like that for 30 seconds or so, and then runs, he'll stop occasionally fall to the ground shake a little get back up run, crash into a few things, fall, shake, run... that's pretty much how it goes. When he is done he just stops and stands there "shivering", it isn't trembling like when he is seizuring, but more of a mild shake. Then he lays down and relaxes for 15-20 minutes and then if he is fine we give him some water. Our house is not big enough, and either is our yard to move things out of the way. The first time he seizured he ran into the back fence and then the front one, and then the one side one. If holding him is not an option is there anything else I could do to stop his violent movement, it makes it a lot scarier for me when I can't hold him and talk to him during it. His last seizure lasted 7 minutes, but I was holding him. Another one he had lasted about 10(which was his first) and we defiantly had no idea what just went on, he did the above and we freaked out! He rammed his head into the corner of our fence and the house and just stood up shakeing! Now that I know what it is I am able to stay very calm (I never thought I'd be able to) and talk to him and pet him, and talk to him etc..

I feel like I'm rambling but I'm trying to give you guys all the information.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2010, 08:25 PM

Have you considered it may not be a seizure?
    I have never seen a dog running while having a seizure, usually it's bang! On the floor convulsing.

It could be another neurological problem.
    charkitty6 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2010, 09:14 PM

If it's big no.if it's small yes
    charkitty6 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2010, 09:15 PM
    :confused:
    Quote Originally Posted by charkitty6 View Post
    If it's big no.if it's small yes
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 28, 2010, 05:05 AM

Emily, while holding him may make make you feel better, it may be making it worse for him. You may be inadvertently making him tense up more.

I know from experience that it isn't easy watching a dog go through a seizure, but sometimes you just have to let it happen and try to keep them from hurting themselves. Using cushions to limit the area he can run in. Baby gates. Quilts over tables and chairs. Essentially softening his world may be all that you can safely do for both of you.

What exactly has his vet said about his condition? I think you have another thread on this subject, don't you?
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2010, 05:14 AM

Yes it's a seizure, the vet said it had something to do with his thyroid. It's really hard to explain, but when I'm holding him he doesn't seem to want to run and he lays on his side "paddling" his legs and shaking. But when he is not held it's like... His paddling legs are carrying him (since he doesn't fall when he has a seizure)
    Dogs Expert

Apr 28, 2010, 05:57 AM

Emily, has you bet thought about any medication for the seizures? Have you tried adding green beans to his diet?

Is he on any medications for his thyroid?
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2010, 11:43 AM

He only seizures a few times a year, and it would cost over $3000 a year fr medication, and since we do not know of he will have another one it is pointless. But we did add greenbeans, I am just wanting information if it does happen again. I've done a lot of research but no where mentioned all this stuff.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Should I hold my child back [ 7 Answers ]

My daughter is almost 8 years old and her private school teacher and principal want to put her back in 1st grade. She struggles with reading but spells well. One day she can read the words and the next she can't. She is very outgoing and has no behavior issues. She is very mature verbally, but...

Did my dog have a seizure? [ 3 Answers ]

My dog all of a sudden started to act "drunk" in that she was walking really crooked & sideways & they her body contorted in a 1/2 circle & fell. She sat up & very still for a minute except for her eyes quickly shaking from side to side & slight head tremors. This went on for a minute, and she...

Dog seizure? [ 1 Answers ]

My 5 year old lab mix had his second seizure in 10 months. All blood work comes back fine. What is causing this?

Felony does it hold me back [ 15 Answers ]

I am 25 years old and got a felony DUI, and I am interested in becoming a real estate agent and was asking if that is a career field I can pursue and if anybody has any other careers that they know a felon can peruse let me know, I really would like to go to college but not sure if I would...

View more questions Search