Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dizzellz112 Posts: 154, Reputation: 8

Apr 27, 2010, 05:29 AM
    Does tea and coffee darken your skin?
    I'm confused... some people say tea and coffee stimulates pigmentation which makes you darker... and some say it's just a myth... anyone know whether it really darkens your skin?
    imgorgeous Posts: 385, Reputation: 14

Apr 27, 2010, 05:32 AM

Do you think all old sayings are wrong ?

I think some may be right the others wrong.

I still believe that tea activates pigments and makes you more susceptible to tanning

Apr 27, 2010, 05:36 AM

Lol well there is the old saying about fish and milk... that right too?
    But if you avoid the sun... and drink tea... would you still tan?
    wannabscarfree Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2010, 01:15 PM

Both tea and coffee are rich in antioxidants and if anything would only help the skin. I do not think there is any valid truth to this belief. My dad is very very light skinned and my mom is a darker shade of brown. Both of them have had religious cups of tea their entire life :D

But it has not affected them.

I'd say drink up. They are too good for you in many other ways to pass up!

Apr 28, 2010, 01:46 PM

Dizzell - I believe the fish and milk myth religiously.

My brother always ends up getting vitiligo patches when he mixes his fish and milk since childhood.

Fortunately, every time he gets a small patch and gets medications, they disappear.

But I know that it does cause trouble for some people ! ONE HUNDRED PERCENT!

Apr 28, 2010, 02:08 PM

So your saying if you have fish and milk together you get vitiligo patches?

Apr 29, 2010, 02:15 PM

Does anyone know why vitiligo patients should avoid tea and coffee?

May 25, 2010, 07:43 AM

imgorgeous is it a particular kind of fish that gives you patches?

May 26, 2010, 01:42 AM

imgorgeous you upset or something :/ because you isn't replying to my posts :(

May 26, 2010, 04:57 AM

Hey dizzell... not upset...

Do not eat fish with milk or yoghurt as it gives white patches.

ANY FISH in fact, it's a risk .

The bacteria of fish and the bacteria in yoghurt have some reason for causing this problem.

Like I said every time my brother got these small patches,my mum would ask him if he mixed fish meat and milk or something and he would try and remember that he ate some dried oily fish and then drank a glass of milk within minutes.

He now has a static vitiligo baby patch on his leg which never goes. But his whole body is normal . And his legs too minus that patch. Even medications haven't been able to get rid of it for him .

May 26, 2010, 11:00 AM

Ohh I thought it was a particular fish.. so it's any fish..

Thanks.X
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2010, 11:25 AM

I don't think it could be true about the tea and coffee. I can't go a day without having at least one cup of coffee or tea and even when I try to tan I'm still pale as can be. My mom was the same way. She probably drank about 10 cups of tea a day and still stayed pale.
    sara_uk Posts: 245, Reputation: 26

May 27, 2010, 02:39 AM

I still drink tea and coffee, I do not see it slowing me.

May 27, 2010, 05:51 AM

There are different types of skin - If your skin is so pale that no matter how much sun you get you don't darken , how do you expect tea or coffee to darken you ? However, people who do get tanned - it probably could affect them.

Tea and Coffee is a natural product.. . You are comparing it to chemicals you using to lighten your skin??

May 27, 2010, 08:16 AM

Which fish does he have? Two of my cousins got patches on their faces... my mum was like fish and milk.. I was like vitiligo..
    But they got a medicine from abroad and the patches went... so I think it was fish and milk not entirely sure...
    Violaename Posts: 394, Reputation: 29

May 27, 2010, 12:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzellz112 View Post
    does anyone know why vitiligo patients should avoid tea and coffee?
    May be it is for the same reason why albinos should stay away from cray fish!
    so sexy Posts: 532, Reputation: 12

May 27, 2010, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Violaename View Post
    May be it is for the same reason why albinos should stay away from cray fish!
    Why?
    so sexy Posts: 532, Reputation: 12

May 27, 2010, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by justcurious55 View Post
    i don't think it could be true about the tea and coffee. i can't go a day without having at least one cup of coffee or tea and even when i try to tan i'm still pale as can be. my mom was the same way. she probably drank about 10 cups of tea a day and still stayed pale.
    I agree I have coffee a few times a day however I have heard of this saying when I was growing up
    Super Shallow Posts: 145, Reputation: 7
    -

May 27, 2010, 02:30 PM

imgorgeous clear your inbox messages... I ant to send you pm but I can't because you exceeded your pm quota

May 27, 2010, 04:08 PM

I think tea and coffee stimulate the melanocytes or something.. and therefore catalyse darkening when out in the sun..

There has to be some logic to this !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Coffee and tea [ 12 Answers ]

I'm trying to become healthy I'm eating a healthy balanced diet And I have also joined a gym I've cut down an alcohol and I'm trying to flush toxins out by drinking a lot of water Fi have 2 questions 1. is tea and coffee really bad for you? Is it best to cut it out completely or just cut...

Does hydroquinone darken the skin too? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I was using 10% f HQ solution dissolved in propylene glycol with lactic acid AHA twice daily,for a fortnight initially my skin turned red and then heavy pigmentation it is dark brown now :(,then peeling started.I stopped using the solution from last week,redness is not there how ever it ...

Can coffee affect my intake of metathione as my skin whitening? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi1 I'm 21 years old and I am now working at a hotel as a receptionist, I am tan eversinced but when I heard about metathione, me and my other officemate tried it, for my hope that this is the answer to my skin lightening, but I am also drinking coffee everyday, is it OK? Or will it be a problem...

Tea/coffee [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I just wanted to know some myths about coffee I want you to help me compare coffee with tea , since I have 2 to 3 cups Of either tea or coffee , or both (total) 1) I have a stammering problem , will consuming coffee increase it ? 2) does coffee cause acne , pimples 3) does coffee cause...

View more questions Search