Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2006, 05:23 AM
    Ceiling Fan Troubleshooting & Repair Frequently Asked Questions
    Check out these tips and explanations from our Electrical Expert. Of course, you're also welcome to post questions to this board for more information: Just click the "Ask about Electrical & Lighting" button at the top of the page.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2006, 11:22 AM
    Problems with Hampton Bay Ceiling fans are numerous on this board, so here are a couple tips:

Indeed, you're in the right place to start. Browse and search this board; you may very well find a solution to your problem. If you do not, feel free to ask: just click the "Ask About Electricical & Lighting" button at the top of this page.

If it comes down to having to make that dreaded technical support call, here is Hampton Bay's info:

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans are made by King of Fans. They currently have no support info (manuals, faq, troubleshooting, etc.) on their site, and it seems to be always under construction, so here is their email/phone/fax/mail contact info:

Live Technical Support:
    Monday-Friday EST, 8:30am-4:30pm
    (Inside the Continental U.S.) 1.800.330.FANS (3267)
    E-mail Support: [email protected]

Headquarters:
    1951 NW 22nd. Street
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 33311
    Tel: 954.484.7500
    Fax: 954.484.7602
    E-mail: [email protected]

Hampton Bay finally has a website, although it does not seem to have a support section: Hampton Bay

Here are all the additional numbers I've found listed for Hampton Bay, and the companies that make Hampton Bay products. I have NO IDEA if these numbers are correct, nor am I affiliated with any of these companies, so leave me out of this!

(800) 236-3306
    (800) 330-3267
    (800) 749-3267
    (800) 221-7977
    (800) 896-4908
    (800) 307-3267
    (800) 431-3003
    (800) 448-6857
    (800) 841-1350
    (877) 527-0313
    (877) 898-1881
    (888) 809-8989
    (800) 283-6513
    (877) 527-0313
    (800) 654-0688 ext. 76532

To reprogram a Hampton Bay remote, you can try these instructions:

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/f...ive_or_pdf=pdf

This is the manual for the Hampton Bay Universal Remote.

If you have the FCC ID number, sometimes documents can be found on the FCC site:

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...ericSearch.cfm
    rsclottjohnson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2006, 10:34 PM
    Comment on ceilingfanrepair's post
    Gave me resources to go to
    Daveba Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Mine is a Harbor Breeze
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2007, 11:41 AM
    Litex makes Harbor Breeze: 1-800-527-1292

Also try this number: 1-800-444-6742
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2007, 08:17 PM
    If you are having a problem with your ceiling fan remote, when asking your question, please state whether the fan has pullchains. Fans that have pullchains AND remotes, the remote can be bypassed, which will determine the source of the problem. If you bypass the remote and receiver and the fan now works, buy a new remote/receiver kit, available at any place fans are sold, or just use the fan without a remote.

If the fan does not have pullchains, the problem is usually either the remote or receiver. If the red LED lights up on the remote when a button is pushed, usually the problem is the receiver. To obtain a replacement receiver for such fans you must contact the manufacturer. See: Hampton Bay fans.
    MormorElsa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2007, 09:39 AM
    The answer provided an email address for service and an 800 number for the maker.
    lacealoo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 08:53 AM
    That appears to be my problem in a nutshell
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Tips for buying a ceiling fan:

i. Before purchasing a ceiling fan, do some research on these boards. Certain brands are drastically more prone to problems and malfunctions than others. At some point I may publish a list of my recommendations for brands.

ii. Remote control fans are infinitely more likely to have problems and malfunctions than fans that are hard-wired. I advise against buying a remote fan unless the feature is absolutely necessary. Again, search these boards for examples of issues that occur frequently.

iii. Look only for the features and designs you actually need and/or desire. You pay extra for the fancy control, the fancy cutting edge décor, the fancy glassware. A comparatively more basic fan at the same price may be considerably better quality, as you are paying for only the essentials. If you must have a luxurious design or features, budget a little more and compare various fans with that design or features. Remember if you are buying a lighting showroom product at a home center price, something is getting cut to make it possible. If you are looking for the best quality fan for the least money, get the simple, stripped down, brass & wood (or all white) fan without all the extras.

iv. For rooms with ceilings over 10', and/or porch/outdoor/utility situations where the fan is subjected to some degree of the elements, I recommend considering industrial fans. Industrial fans move considerably more air more efficiently and are often a better fan for the money. Whereas a quality residential fan may move around 8,000 cfm (of air), a quality industrial fan will move over 30,000, and quietly except for the sound of moving air. They are not decorative and usually cannot take a light, so they are only applicable for certain situations. Most are plain white or black with a simple modern design. As with all types of fans, there are some that are poor quality and others that are well made. I may publish further recommendations.
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2007, 02:06 AM
    Ceiling Fan Brand Recommendations:

There are many manufactures offering ceiling fans today, in many different styles and sizes. The vast majority of fans sold today are made in the same factories overseas, so the differences in brands are not vast. However there are some that are clearly better quality than others, and more importantly, a better value for your money.

These recommendations are my opinion. They are not the views of Ask Me Help Desk or Ceiling Fans -n- More.

Under $150: Hunter Fan Company. Honestly, in this price bracket I wouldn't consider any other company. If you're looking to spend as little as possible, go with the cheapest model Hunter sells. They have better products, better quality control, and better customer service. They have been around for over 100 years, and it shows. Don't even think about other brands that start with H.

Showroom/Designer fans on a budget: Hunter Fan Company. Hunter is great for getting the most out of your money. If you want a designer fan but cannot afford showroom prices, Hunter will deliver. Their fans may or may not be as fancy or trendy as competitors, however you can be assured you are getting a quality product even at a lower price. I believe even the most lucrative of fans is still in the $300 range.

$150-200 range: Marley/Qmark Gillespie. Here I get to introduce you to a little-known gem I am very excited about. This model, not just brand, but model ceiling fan is the very last fan to be produced in the USA. All other companies, and even other models by this same company, have moved production overseas. This fan has an American made motor that is a similar design and quality to imported motors in $400 ceiling fans. Essentially, you get a $400 fan made in America for around $150. I think it's the steal of the century. It is a very basic design (see Tips for Buying) and only available in brass, bronze, or white with white or wood blades. It is available for sale on southerfans.com as well as through other distributors.

Over $200: Emerson Fan Co. and Casablanca Fan Co. Both of these are very high end manufacturers that have been around for years. Emerson has been making fans since the 1800s, Casablanca single-handedly made the ceiling fan regain popularity in the 1970s. In both cases you will want to look at models that have the American-style motor, in Emerson's case it is called the K55 or K55XL, Casablanca's is called the XLP or XLP2000. When buying a showroom grade fan with a good motor, the price may give you pause, but you are getting an elegant showpiece of superior quality and functionality. Well worth it if it's in your budget.

Hugger/Low Ceiling Fans: Hunter Fan Co, Marley/Qmart Gillespie, Casablanca, Emerson. If you require an actual hugger fan, Hunter offers several excellent models at favorable prices. If you are looking for a higher end fan, the Marley/Qmark model and Casablanca and Emerson all offer low ceiling kits to mount the fan without a downrod.

Higher Ceilings: Envirofan "Gold Line", Marley/Qmark Gillespie, Emerson, Casablanca. Wherever possible and practical, I recommend using industrial fans on higher ceilings. They are designed to move air more effectively over larger areas and when mounted up to 40' heights. Much, much, much better air movement, for cooling or heat recirculation. If you require a decorative fan or a light, simply make sure you use a quality fan with significant air movement, such as the Casablanca Panama, Emerson Premium, or Marley Gillespie. Remote control fans, however tempting, are a bad idea, as when they have problems they are harder to repair on higher ceilings. Refer to Tips for Buying, $150-200, Over $200, and Industrial Fans.

Porch Fans: Marley/Qmark. They offer a version of the American made Gillespie rated for covered outdoor use. It is simply called the Porch Fan and sells for around $200. Do not be confused, as they also offer a lesser quality outdoor/porch fan not made in America. I also very much recommend industrial fans for use in place of "porch fans" where applicable, see Tips for Buying.

Industrial Ceiling Fans: Envirofan "Gold Line". I very definitively recommend this brand and line. They have been made since the 1970s and still use the same design and factory. Many of the 1970s models are still in operation today. They also cost less than industrial fans of similar quality and performance. A cheap industrial fan runs $50-80, some higher performance models are over $200, the Envirofans are $120-150 range. I honestly would not consider any other make and model of industrial fan, be it for a residential or commercial application.

Please contact me [email protected] or post if you have any questions about my recommendations. I want consumers to have the very best experiences buying and using ceiling fans, and I want to support these companies that I feel serve us far better than their competitors. Also feel free to ask if you have questions about any other brand or model ceiling fans.
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2009, 07:24 PM

Here are other web pages for Hampton Bay Support:

http://0000lx5.previewcoxhosting.com/manuals_fans.htm

other_mfg

TAL Hampton Bay Customer Service
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2009, 11:54 PM

SMC/Shell Manufacturing:

(800)527-3675
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2010, 02:04 AM

Food for thought: If everyone stopped buying

1. Remote controlled fans
    2. Hampton Bay and Harbor Breeze

We would eliminate over half the questions on this board.

Food for thought next time you are fan shopping.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay ceiling fan lights & fan not operating [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, appreciate any help. It just stop working can't honestly say what stop working first or if it happened at the same time. The switch at the wall is working. So I'm assuming it is getting power? I took the bulbs out and disconneted the lower unit by glance everything appears to be fine. I...

FAQ: How to Troubleshoot, Repair & Maintain Hondas and Selected Other Vehicles [ 85 Answers ]

Check out these tips and explanations from our Senior Cars & Trucks Expert. Of course, you're also welcome to post questions to this board for more information: Just click the "Ask about Cars & Trucks" button (NOT the Answer this Question button) at the top of the page. Be sure, though, to...

What are frequently asked questions in technical interview of Chemical Engineer [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... I'm B.Tech in Petrochemical Technology... plz let me know the question asked in technical interview of Chemical or Process Engineer By learning any chemical software can I improve my marketability... Please help this out... :confused:

Hanging ceiling fan from vaulted ceiling peak [ 2 Answers ]

Want to install Hampton Bay's Berlini model 729395 on a cathedral ceiling with a single ridge beam. Want to hang fan from the peak and there's not enough room for the canopy to cover the hanger bracket. Is there any extenders for this?

View more questions Search