Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RaenieStar Posts: 19, Reputation: 7

Apr 26, 2010, 07:01 PM
    Employee Rights and Privacy
    I work for an entertainment company in the Customer Service department. There are several departments within the CS department; the portion I am in deals strictly online within an online gaming community.

When I was hired 4 years ago, I was provided with a single in-game alias, a name, to go by. This is the name I signed my emails with, and corresponded with our customers via chatting. I signed a non-disclosure stating I would not reveal my in-game information to anyone, as that name was intended to be my persona when at work.

Ex:
    Support Representative Fakenamehere
    [email protected]
    Company Name

There is another portion of Customer Service that deals with payments, money, and things that have to do with the product that aren't handled within the online community (game). This department uses telephones as their method of contact, as well as email when needed, to service customers. These representatives do not associate with my department, and use their first name and last initial as their email and name on the phones. They use their actual names.

Ex:
    Lisa K.
    [email protected]
    Company Name

The type of customers I personally deal with on a daily basis are of a wider range of ages (anywhere from 10 to 90), whereas a phone rep usually only talks to those capable of making a phone call and being coherent verbally. The customers I take care of also are somewhat more hidden by the anonymity of the internet, and also take their product seriously. An online community/game may be more "valuable" to say, a 14 year old versus a 50 year old, for example. This can result in explosive customers, threats, insults, to very nice people that are easy to chat online with.

Anyway. Recently, my company has decided that to unify our different "departments," that we would all begin to sign our emails only with our first name and last initial, title, and any other alias:
    Sara H.
    Support Representative Fakenamehere
    Company Name

So that my former alias would be connected to my real name and last initial. The problem here is... ALL of our names are listed on the credits of the product that every customer buys. This list of credits are also available on our website. Any joe could potentially look up Sara H and get the last name of any Sara H's available that worked on the product. And with the magic of the internet... there are many possibilities.

I feel like this may be a violation of my privacy, considering that the company has pushed this out as a concrete policy without informing any of the representatives it would directly affect before hand. I kind of feel bullied to put my name down, even though every fiber of my being is against connecting my real name to my online alias that I use to reward, action, punish, repo, help, deny, and correct my customers with. (Keep in mind, this is on online game, a community of all kinds of people.) I don't want to be Facebooked or MySpaced by potentially angry customers, or even be near the prospect of such.

Is there some kind of law or legality against this? It seems management is pretty unwilling to yield, but may "consider" allowing us to have "stage names ..." which I find redundant and ridiculous. Any ideas? Googling hasn't helped me past looking into basic labor laws. (In California, by the way!)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 26, 2010, 07:18 PM

Sorry, what right to privacy ? Many companies publish lists of employees, and departments ( colleges for example you can look up who the janitor is for many)
    So yes it does give away some of your privacy, but they can if they want to. Your choice is to of course change jobs or ask to use another email address.

They are within their rights to fully post employees names and positions if they want to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Privacy Rights in Rental Apartment in Canada [ 3 Answers ]

Here's the story. A renter, single, is in an apartment in a multi-apartment building. One of the other tenants complains to the property manager that when he passes this apartment, he smells marijuana smoke. According to the manager, they have the 'right' to call the police on this fellow...

Employee rights? [ 8 Answers ]

In the state of arizona.... Is it legal for an employer to ask you to sign a document saying that you will never call in sick again or it is automatic termination or the other option is to resign from the company with pension? I know arizona is a right to work state but is this legal???:confused:

My rights as a salaried employee [ 1 Answers ]

I am a salaried employee. I work at least 40 hours per week and most weeks 50-55 hours per week. I work from 6 a.m.- 2:00 p.m. some Saturdays 7 a.m.- Noon, and some evenings delivering fuel. I was told I would get one week paid vacation after 0ne year of service and two weeks paid vacation after...

Employee rights, do we have them? [ 4 Answers ]

In Florida when a person leaves a job and the boss takes money out of your check for no reason, what can a person do??

View more questions Search