Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GingerLee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2010, 06:05 PM
    How does the mental health act affect a notice to vacate letter to a tenant?
    We have a tenant who threw items out of her apartment causing damage and made threats to burn down our apartment building to the police. When asked 'what about the tenants" her response was "I don't care'. We have issued this tenant a notice to vacate the premises citing damage and safety and security issues (we have 20 + elderly tenants residing in the building) as the reason. The family has decided to fight the notice saying that she is now in a facility dealing with her mental health. What are our rights?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 26, 2010, 06:10 PM

Unless she can cite (giving chapter and verse of the state statutes for whichever state you are in) this "mental health act", chances are that the judge would say "So?".
    GingerLee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2010, 06:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Unless she can cite (giving chapter and verse of the state statutes for whichever state you are in) this "mental health act", chances are that the judge would say "So?".
    This is in Canada, so it may be different than the States law..
    The mental health act does not mention anything with regards to tenant rights, so they probably could not use that, however, their belief is that since this tenant is under mental health care, it would be discrimination against tenant to evict and that since tenant is under care (and therefore could get better) that tenant has a right to remain in the apartment. We have notified family that they can contact the tenancy branch if they wish to contest. Just want more information as to what I may meet up with in order to be properly prepared.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 26, 2010, 07:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerLee View Post
    ... their belief is that since this tenant is under mental health care, it would be discrimination against tenant to evict ...
    It's discrimination to evict crazy people for acting crazy?

O ---- K.

It's a crazy world we live in isn't it?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 26, 2010, 07:24 PM

So you go to housing court and let the judge decide, even if they have special rights, it does not mean you can not file and try.

Next why were no criminal charges placed for their actions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

FL Tenant here & been served evict notice - how long until I'm forced to vacate? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all! I live in Clearwater, Florida, and have a few questions about eviction laws/processes. I've been served eviction papers and now have 5 business days to write a reason letter, get the full amount owed & pay my apartment complex. I know this is my fault, and I want nothing more than...

60 notice to vacate, what if not the landlord that gave notice [ 3 Answers ]

I was giving a 60 notice to vacate, but the person that gave me the notice is not the person I have been giving the money to. What can I do??

Sample letter to vacate tenant? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all... I'm having trouble writing to a tenant requesting them to vacate the property that I'm renting to them as I require to live in it myself now. What is the correct way to head the letter? Notice for them to vacate or quit(which I domnt like the sound of)? We're friends so our contract was...

Give a 30 day notice then 4 days later served with a 3 day vacate notice [ 6 Answers ]

I was served with a 30 day notice for a termination of Lease on June 9th. By my landlord for late payments. Then on June 15th I was served with a notice to pay or vacate with in 3 days by my landlord. Can he do this? I am not even a month late on this months rent.

Notice to Vacate [ 3 Answers ]

If I put in a 30 notice to vacate before the end of my contract and the landlord enters into a contract with a new tenant (that I provided) to start the day that my contract ends. Can the landlord still keep my security deposit stating that I broke my contract.

View more questions Search