Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    schoon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2010, 05:48 PM
    1099b is it taxable income if 1099div was filed yearly
    Cashed in mutual fund June 2008 received 1099b purchased mutual fund sept 1992 net gain 14200 dollars after cashed in. filed and paid taxes on 1099div yearly from 1992 to 2008. Will I pay taxes on 1099b amount
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 26, 2010, 06:00 AM

The 1099B lists the proceeds that you received in the sale. You do not owe taxes on that entire amount, just on any capital gains that the sale made for you. You report caital gains from sales of mutual funds on Schedule D. You have capital gains if your proceeds from the sale exceeded your cost basis, or a capital loss if the proceeds are less than your cost basis. The tricky part is in figuring out your cost basis. I take it that you have been reinvesting dividends and capital gain distributions all along - hence you have been buying shares at prices that varied as you bought the shares through reinvestment. Your cost basis in the entire account is equal to your original investment amount plus the total of all amounts reinvested by you from inception of the account through to the date of sale (I am assuming here that you sold all shares in 2009, and in previous years had never sold off any shares - please correct me if I'm wrong on that). Your account statement from the mutual fund company that reports the sale may actually show what your total cost basis is - most have been keeping that data since at least the early 90's, so check your year-end statement carfeully. If the cost basis isn't listed on your statement, then you can either (a) call customer service and ask if they have the data, or if that doesn't work (b) go back through your financial records and add up all the reinvestments you've made over the past 18 years. If you have kept year-end statements you'll find the info there. Or if you have your old tax records you can see how much you reinvested - include both your reinvested dividends and capital gain distributions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxable income [ 2 Answers ]

2009 MFJ AIG=55000 2 children as dependents, itemized dededuction $8300

Taxable and non-taxable income in 2008 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have already asked this question, but I made a mistake, So here it is as it supposed to be: Briefly my situation: I and my wife came to the USA in September, 2006. I have J1 visa- scholar (from the very beginning) and my wife J2, we are citizens of Poland. We have never left the USA...

Do those income count among my taxable income?-dual status [ 4 Answers ]

Please help, I am on dual status for 2008 tax purpose. I was on H1B and left US in April, 2008. My questions are: During my non-resident period of 2008, I only received interests from US saving account and dividends from US brokerage account(some of dividends distributed in my IRA and mutual...

Non taxable income [ 1 Answers ]

From Jan. until Dec. I received workman compensation. It was not taxed of course. But I have kids that depend on my tax information for the pell grant. Can I still file my taxes and do I have to report the settlement I received?

On NJ Tax form, for income taxed by NY, do I use the NY AGI or NY Taxable Income amt? [ 1 Answers ]

When filling out the NJ Income Tax form, I have to identify the amount of income taxed by NY State. Do I use the Adjusted Gross Income value (NY form IT-203) line 31, or the NY Taxable Income value from line 37?

View more questions Search