Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lukesmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2006, 08:05 PM
    Omitted from Thank You Note
    Hello,

This is my first posting here and I appreciate your help.
    My step-son, who lives several hundred miles from us, was invited to meet his new girlfriend’s parents at Thanksgiving. They hosted him for a couple of days and of course Thanksgiving dinner. I arranged to have flowers sent to their home. When my step-son called us while there, he relayed to his dad that the flowers were a “nice touch” and appreciated. The enclosure card from us to the parents was informal, though we’ve never met them or the new girlfriend. We “signed” the card with both of our first names and a “thank you for hosting…” message.

Today my husband received an enveloped addressed only to him containing a thank you note that opened with “Dear Mr…..”. And a nice message about the flowers. There was no reference to me, nor was I included in the address or salutation. I am devastated. I went to a lot of trouble to track down the specific florist nearest their remote town, paid for the flowers and delivery myself, and wrote the message to be included on the card. Only after all the arrangements were done did I mention it to my husband.

Should I bring this to their attention or forget about it. My husband doesn’t know what he can do, if anything, and is not inclined to pursue the matter. While I'm glad they enjoyed the flowers, I’m hurt to the point that it could possibly affect any future relationship I might have with the girlfriend’s parents.

Your assistance is appreciated.

Lukesmom
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 4, 2006, 08:22 PM
    It is my belief that you should just forget about it if you want peace to remain. If you make a stink it will most likely be brought up between your step-son and his girlfriend and then again with her and her family.

Maybe send a nice Christmas, or whatever holiday you celebrate, card with both names on it.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2006, 08:51 PM
    Yes, this could be a most devastating event. However, kindness is the key here. You shouldn't say anything else about the matter. Showing dignity for yourself and your good deed is a much better way to go about your hurt feelings. Bringing it up only for receiving recognition will make you look selfish. Funny, but true... In actuality, it is the other way around; however people that would not recognize both you and your husband, are likely to misconstrue anything you say and turn it into a negative.
    Feel content within yourself that you did everything possible and even went out of your way to give flowers, but never expect anything from anybody in return for doing good deeds. Keep your head high! You will one day receive your two-fold.
    Kae
    eldaneker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2006, 09:55 PM
    I think it's quite possible that the omission was unintentional (e.g. they lost the card and didn't remember what exactly it said). I would just try to let it go and think positively. You did a nice thing and they appreciated it, I'm sure they will appreciate you more and more with every interaction.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Mar 5, 2007, 11:33 AM
    Some people are real dolts about etiquette and "get fancy" with their ideas of how to be formal. Perhaps they thought that sending it to your husband as the head of the household was more formal. Another possibility is that they think it's disrespectful to your stepson's mother to acknowledge you formally - in either case, it's weird and wrong, but people sometimes are just trying too hard to impress. I would let it go, and if the slight continues, talk to your stepson. It is his job, not your husband's, to set the tone as to how you will be accepted into his new family as his step mother.
    skihog2000 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lacuran8626
    Some people are real dolts about etiquette and "get fancy" with their ideas of how to be formal. Perhaps they thought that sending it to your husband as the head of the household was more formal. Another possibility is that they think it's disrespectful to your stepson's mother to acknowledge you formally - in either case, it's weird and wrong, but people sometimes are just trying too hard to impress. I would let it go, and if the slight continues, talk to your stepson. It is his job, not your husband's, to set the tone as to how you will be accepted into his new family as his step mother.
    I agree 100%. Good advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Too much to expect a thank you note? [ 11 Answers ]

Twice in one year I have mailed a money order for $50.00 together with a wedding card and a personal note. One wedding was a year ago; the other was back in May. At the first wedding, the groom came up to me and said thanks for the money; the second wedding I didn't attend. Hmmm, maybe in...

Getting a car note out my name [ 1 Answers ]

I have a car that I pay a high car note and I tried to refinance it but I paid way too much for the car and they won't I have a friend that would take over the note how do we put it in her name now if she has bad credit,I don't want to take her word that she will pay it I want to be completely rid...

Note Receivable [ 4 Answers ]

Accepted a 90-day $1,000 note receivable from a company for services performed. How do I journalize this transacation? Note Receivables DR $1,000 and CR to which account? Thanks, Dell

Promissory Note [ 3 Answers ]

I lent money to a so-called "friend" of mine where I had him sign a Promissory note. The promissory note explained the terms for re-payment. It also clearly stated the consequences in case of default. I also had a security agreement with his home and the contents being the collateral. I have...

Promisory Note [ 1 Answers ]

I have a promisory note from an individual who just declared bankruptcy. A letter was sent to me from a law firm and I was listed in it along with various other victims. What are my options if any? How can I make the best out of this with my tax return? Anything else?

View more questions Search