Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SandyJM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2010, 06:34 PM
    MA state tax for student non residents
    My son will has a summer internship in the state of Mass. And will earn somewhere between $7850 and $8700. He will be residing in a dorm as he is working for a lab associated with one of the colleges near Boston. His only other source of income for the year will be about $100 in interest income. He is 20 years old and for federal tax purposes, is still a dependent of his parents who pay for his college education. Regarding MA state income taxes, he is considered a Non-Resident. Is he also considered a Part-Year Resident since he will reside near there during the 2-months he is earning this income?? Also, I assume he still qualifies for the $4400 exemption for a single taxpayer even though he is a dependent of his parents; is this correct?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 26, 2010, 10:51 AM
    Assuming your son's residence with his parents is OUTSIDE of Massachusetts, by law, he is considered to be a non-resident of the state of Massachusetts due to his status as a college student.

Yes, he will qualify for the reduced standard deduction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

State tax (maryland),fedral tax,OPT(F1-student visa)on the rate of $30 an hour [ 7 Answers ]

Hi experts. I am an OTP (F1 visa-student) My salary is $30 per hour (I can work 40 hours a week - full time) . Can anybody please tell me the State tax for Maryland and Fedral tax applicable on the rate of $30 an Hour. Please text me if you need more information. This foram is awesome....

Does my child a student have to file ca state tax return [ 1 Answers ]

A college student made 6,000 dollars in 2009 do I have to file a Ca state tax return? My parents claim me as a dependent.

Contractor State Tax for Non Residents at Employer Location [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I work in Tennessee and my employer is in New Jersey. He is withholding my state tax for New Jersey. Can I ask him to follow state tax regulations of TN. TN has no state tax and I am unnecessarily paying NJ tax. Please help. CJ

F-1 Student, Federal &/vs. State Tax return [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question about the State Tax return. I am a student on an F-1 visa and have been filing the 1040 NR-EZ and 8843 every year (as told by my school). In previous years a treaty prevented any federal or state tax to be withheld from my earnings, but not this past year (treaty with Germany...

F1 british student in NJ and state tax [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a British F1 student first year in the USA filing my taxes. I study in NJ but I live in NY. I had Federal tax withheld at 14% from my stipend total of $7200 (ie. $1008 withheld) but have received no notification of anything to do with state tax from my university and they can't answer...

View more questions Search