Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swmrby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2010, 03:03 PM
    Is there such thing as a Cast Iron sleeve to put into Cast Iron plumbing pipes?
    Is there a Cast Iron sleeve to put inside Cast Iron plumbing pipes to keep them from rusting?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 24, 2010, 03:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by swmrby View Post
    Is there a Cast Iron sleeve to put inside Cast Iron plumbing pipes to keep them from rusting?
    No cast iron sleeves but When my cast iron drainage went bad here's what I did.

Let me explain a bit more about my drainage problem and how I repaired it. 54 year old house. The builder used sub standard cast iron in the drainage. The 4" house main was completely ate up on the bottom of the pipe , blocked with roots and welling up in my living room floor. I was sure that the main had broke in two and I would have to jack hammer up the floor and tunnel under the foundation to transition to PVC, pick up the back bath and move the main outside the house but I had to know what was going on under the slab so a friend suggested running a camera down there. There was no distinct break in the main, however,it was completely ate up on the bottom. That's when Rooter Man of Sarasota and Gulf Coast Florida suggested relining the main, (see image). It took a day to clear the roots and pressure jet clean the main. Next day they came back and relined the main with epoxy. I now have a sewer main that will out last me, (50 year guarantee) and the best part is that I didn't have to, tear up my house and the cost was under half of what I figured to take the main outside around the house. Another bonus was that it was done without tearing up or disturbing my house. When they were finished I kept a piece of the epoxy liner to check it out. It was white and had the same thickness of Schedule#40 PVC.
    I was amazed at the equipment RooterMan had outside my place. The equipment he had cost upwards of $100,000.00. Hi tech stuff that took a technician to run it. There were 3 men and 2 trucks to do the job. And it was completed in two days. Lottsa difference from the old days when I went out on a sewer call with a Ridged K-60 Sewer Machine and a ladder to get to the roof vent. I just wanted to point out that there's another option besides replacing drainage that the years have ruined. If your pipes are a candidate for a reline job I strongly suggest you look into it before you decide to replace the drainage pipes. I did and saved a bundle in addition to keeping my home intact. Just thought I would share that with you all. Regards and thank you for rating my answer, Tom
    Attached Images

jimmie27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2013, 07:37 AM
    Do they have this in illinios my e-mail is [email protected]
    puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Jul 24, 2013, 08:26 AM
    At speedball, Can this also be done with PVC under slab, Had house job with crack PVC pipe under slab.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 24, 2013, 10:31 AM
    Hi Puffmugs

Tom is out for awhile, but to answer your question, I'm pretty sure it can be done, but in most cases where there is only one break (especially in PVC or ABS) it may be smarter (and cheaper) to simply chip the floor out in the one area where the crack in the pipe is and make the single repair.

If you need more info. On this let me know as my uncle does this as part of his business.

Mark

Jul 24, 2013, 12:15 PM
    Thanks Mark, I am not sure there is only one break since I have not run a camera through line yet. Can tell from test tee that when multiple fixtures are used at same time that not all waste water is going through main sewer past test tee. Would be interest if lining PVC would be possible, since most of piping under slab is under carpeting.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 24, 2013, 01:07 PM
    Pipe relining will require that two holes be chopped into the floor... on one end to start the pull of the liner (and cut the end) and the other hole past the break and other fittings, so it really is important to know exactly what you are up against here.

I would suggest that you hire a drain company with a drain video camera and see exactly what you are up against. Once you have the information you can post back here for opinions, OK?

Relining has its place if entire mains have to be replaced, but if only a small section of the drain needs to be replaced you are still better off digging up the floor and replacing the small section of pipe.

Mark

PS: They can reline cast iron, clay, cement and PVC or ABS pipes... ;)

Jul 24, 2013, 02:04 PM
    Thanks for the infor Mark, very helpful
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 24, 2013, 04:28 PM
    Brain (Ma0461) just updated me on another SPRAY EPOXY application that apparently doesn't require breaking the ground up.

Click on this link for some more info. On this newest technology:

Nu Line - Epoxy Coating - Nu Flow

Keep us posted Puffmugs!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cutting through cast iron How is it possible to cut through a cast iron soil pipe [ 6 Answers ]

Cutting through cast iron How is it possible to cut through a cast iron soil pipe

Use sleeve on cast iron stack before replacing drywall? [ 2 Answers ]

I have the walls out and a hole in vertical air vent. Use a rubber sleeve to cover the hole? Don't want to replace the cast iron if not necessary. Doesn't affect venting just don't want mold, any suyggestions?

Plumbing with cast iron [ 2 Answers ]

How do I remove a cast iron pipe from an elbow with out breaking the elbow so I can put in a pvc why for a sink and toilet?

Cast iron vertical from cast iron horizontal can be pvc? [ 2 Answers ]

A leak developed in the main cast iron vertical stack of pipes leading to the horizontal main drain. Unfortunately, for me, the leak was so close to the ground that I had to break the concrete slab of the house. At that point, it just made sense to dig an extra 4 inches or so and remove the bad...

Cast Iron Pipes [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to clear cast iron drain pipes as a step towards making future preventive maintenance cost effective and less labor intense? Is there a preferred cutter to use on a rooter machine that could accomplish this? Is there chemicals that are safe to use that can assist the process. I...

View more questions Search