Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Dec 4, 2006, 07:24 PM
    Powder suger replacement for diabetic
    Hello:

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, but I have a question. I am wanting to make my grandmother a batch of candies for Christmas. Some peppermints, peanut butter balls, and some fudge.

I am wondering what would be a good substitute for all the powder suger I use in these recipies. These candies are HEAVY on powdered suger. What are some sugar free alternatives that taste good?

Also, I need to find some semi sweet suger free chocolate chips for my chocolate dip.

Will HERSHEY's unsweetened cocoa bother a diabetic?

Lets see, what else, I use peppermint extract, vanilla flavoring, and cream cheese, will any of this hurt a diabetic?

Please advise, I know if I could make some candies that are safe for her to enjoy she will love it.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2006, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcocke
    Hello:

Sorry if this isnt the right place to post this, but I have a question. I am wanting to make my grandmother a batch of candies for Christmas. Some peppermints, peanut butter balls, and some fudge.

I am wondering what would be a good substitute for all the powder suger I use in these recipies. These candies are HEAVY on powdered suger. What are some sugar free alternatives that taste good?

Also, I need to find some semi sweet suger free chocolate chips for my chocolate dip.

Will HERSHEY's unsweetened cocoa bother a diabetic?

Lets see, what else, I use peppermint extract, vanilla flavoring, and cream cheese, will any of this hurt a diabetic?

Please advise, I know if I could make some candies that are safe for her to enjoy she will love it.
    Lets start with the NO-NO's first; Peppermints, are not permitted on low carb diets, because they are calorie dense, with no dietary fiber or nutrition. Regular candy is high in refined carb sugar and high on the glycemic index, which causes a rapid rise in blood glucose levels, which leads to excessive insulin production and causes a sudden drop in blood sugar. I'm not sure but if they make sugar free peppermints, there the ones that would be acceptable! In just 1 oz there are 27 Grams of net carbs!!
    !
    Splenda has brown sugar substitutes, as well as powered sugar substitutes (or use sugar free instant vanilla pudding, for powered sugar, measurement for measurement.) There are a variety of Whey products that are excellent substitutes also, in health food stores, like Whey low granular, whey low gold c- brown sugar substitute, whey low powder, powered sugar substitute. You can use peppermint and vanilla flavorings. Cream cheese use the non-fat or use lowfat cottage cheese as a substitute. Heavy cream-No. Sour Cream, use the brands that use skim milk Philipdelphia cream cheese has a "light" version. It has 1/2 the fat and is good for cooking. With fat free cream cheese don't use a electric mixer to cream, sti only, the mixer will cause the water to separate and you'll be left with a soupy concoction. Use of semisweet choc. Chips are used in diabetic recipes if you can find sugar free. Cehck outDiabetescontrolforlife.com they have a lot of recipes for cakes, and cookies for diabetics. Hersheys unsweetened cocoa, good.
    Splenda is a good sugar substitute but check the one they have for baking is 1/2 granular sugar and 1/2 sucralose so don't use that one. Use spenda granular even for baking.
    Equal/Nutra sweet, not good for baking if it's a long time baking product, cause with longer baking time, it loses sweetness, use it on uncooked foods, or near the end of cooking process to help retain sweetness.
    Equal sugar lite is also 1/2 granulated sugar, so is not safe for diabetics.
    Angel food cake is usually permitted, and it can be topped with packaged sugar free desert toppings, decorate with sugar free candy, or pour sugar free pudding over top and sides of cake.
    Recipe for diabetics:cookies
    2/3 c margarine--2/3 c brown sugar---2/3 c suralose--2 tsp vanilla extract--2 eggs--1 1/2 c flour--1 tsp baking soda---1/4 tsp salt--3/4 c semi-sweet choc. Chips, 1/2 c chopped pecans; preheat 350 degree oven, cream butter, brown sugar, suralose, vanilla in bowl. Add eggs, to mix one at a time, mix well, add flour, baking soda, salt, mix well, stir in choc. Chips and pecans. Place level tbsp of dough on greased sheet 350-10-12 minutes
    Fudge:
    1 c 2% milk---1 c water--3/4 c unsweetened cocoa poweeder--1/2 c sweetner equiv. to sugar--5 tbsp unflavored gelatin (5 pkgs)---1 tsp artificial brandy extract; in small saucepan combine milk and cocoa, whisk till lumpless. Cook medium heat, stirring 5 min. (till thicK) In another saucepan sprinkle gelatin over water-let stand 5 minutes to soften, heat over low heat, stirrring till dissolved, stir in cocoa mixture, stir in sweetner and brandy extract. Remove from heat, pour into 8" square dish--let stand room temp. 4 hours till firm--cut around edges (to removea) with sharp knife, place dish in shallow pan of hot water for 30 seconds, just to slighltly soften bottom, loosen 1 corner then quickly flip gel out onto clan surface3--cut evenly in 10 one way and 10 the other way, place in container and cover, refrigerate, keeps 1 week.
    Diabetics peanutbutter balls;
    1/2 c spenda---1/2 c any no sugar peanut butter (stir well to mix oils)----1/2 c mini choc. Chips--1 tsp vanilla extract---1/2 c coarsely chopped dry roasred peanuts
    Layer a baking dish with waxed paper-in medium microsafe dish, mix splenda, peanutbutter and choc. Chips. Cover and microwave 15 seconds, stir in vanilla and peanuts--mix well to caot--form into 16 baqlls and place on waxed paper refrigerate 15 minutes or till firm.
    The real thing to remember when cooking for diabetes is you want to keep Blood Glucose levels down; So use low or no sugar, low or no transfats, lowest possible transfats, low or no cholestrol----AND READ ALL FOOD LABELS---hope this helps a bit:cool:
    mamatrish Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 09:16 PM
    I am the wife of a diabetic and have several recipes for desserts, cakes, and pies that are sugar free. Also, you can make powdered sugar by mixing 1 small box powdered milk, 2 cups corn starch and 2 cups fructose or Splenda and blending until smooth. If you would like some of my recipes, I will gladly share them. My e-mail address is [email protected]. Hope this has been some help. Have a blessed day. Mama Trish
    mamatrish Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 09:26 PM
    I have made powdered sugar replacement using 1 small box powdered milk, 2 cups corn starch and 2 cups Frustose or Splenda. Blend together in a blender until smooth and use just like powdered suger. I have some really good sugar free recipes for desserts,pies, and candies if anyone would like them. Have a blessed day. Mama Trish
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Feb 24, 2007, 09:44 PM
    As for the powdered sugar I have no idea but I do know that Russell-Stover makes a splendid line of sugar-free chocolates ranging from M&Ms to Turtles. They do have the plain chocolate pieces and in bars as well. It tastes just as good as regular chocolate( I'm a chocoholic so trust me on that) and is safe for diabetics. All things in moderation of course.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Diabetic Cat Help [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old, diabetic, spayed, feline. She has been insulin dependent for approx 5 years. Occasionally, she may go a week or more and require NO insulin. She's been on Humulin-Ultra the entire time. Has anyone ever had a bad bottle? This bottle is less than two weeks old, but her #'s are...

White powder under electric range burner [ 4 Answers ]

We have an electric range, about 10 years old. Where one of the burner elements plugs in to the "socket" (under the stove top) there is a very fine white powder that collects under ONE of the element prongs. If we wipe it off, it forms again. It doesn't collect under the other prong of that...

Diabetic cooking [ 1 Answers ]

I recently found out that I am a diabetic and am trying to cook healthy meals. Does anyone have any recipies for good vegetable dishes. I am trying not to use starchy vegetables. My Doctor said vegetables were free for me to eat so I can have more of them if they are not the starchy kind! Yumm...

Diabetic dog [ 1 Answers ]

My dog has diabetes and I can't get her to eat, she vomits every time she eats or drinks this is the first time this has happened. I think she is having a hypoglycemic episode, should I give her her shot anyway? I just put some karo syrup on her teeth so she could get some sugar, can anyone help me.

View more questions Search