Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2010, 08:51 PM
    Can Using An Eye Redness Reducer Be Harmful To Contact Lenses?
    Hi, All!

What I'm asking is that if a person uses an eye redness reducer like Visine while wearing contacts at the same time the solution is applied, if that can be harmful to soft and/or hard lenses?

Thanks!
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Apr 23, 2010, 06:58 PM

It's not good for it... Visine isn't good for your eyes PERIOD. If you need redness reducer you need to use the kind made specifically for contact wearers or you need to apply after contacts are removed.
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2010, 08:43 PM
    Why isn't Visine good for the eyes? Also, what kind of eye redness reducer to people who wear contacts use while the contacts are in their eyes, please?

Thanks!
    Vision Expert

Apr 24, 2010, 11:20 AM

I've never used Visine, but I was always told by my doctors that it pulls nutrients from your eyes. There are many brands of drops for contact lens wearers. The choice is yours.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Apr 24, 2010, 12:28 PM

Being a diabetic I was tol by an eye expert that using any 'red reducing' eye drops is bad. Your eyes have tiny arteries and veins and extended use for a diabetic can help advance blindness as these arteries need free blood flow for the proper functioning of your eyes. Actually he said that anyone using this over a long period will harm their eyes.

Stringer
    Vision Expert

Apr 24, 2010, 12:34 PM

Yes, it basically depleats nutrients to the point that you need it to remain comfortable. Basically an addiction.
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2010, 08:00 PM
    Like nose sprays?
    Vision Expert

Apr 25, 2010, 11:06 AM

I've never heard that, but yeah.
    contact_lenses Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2011, 06:15 PM
    Eye drops like Visine won't hurt hard contacts but might discolor soft <a href=http://www.coloredcontacts.com>contact lenses</a>. Vasoconstrictors like Visine after a few days can produce a rebound effect which makes the eyes redder instead of getting the red out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do Hard Contact Lenses Change the Shape of the Front of the Cornea on a Person's Eye? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, All! The title is my question. I've heard for decades that they do. If so, is it a permanent change? Do the hard contact lenses also cause calluses to be formed on the cornea? I also heard that about the hard contacts causing calluses to be formed. Thanks!

Under eye redness [ 2 Answers ]

About 5 months ago I have started to have a really bright redness under my eyes. I would say its a lot like dark circles except its a lot brighter. Shortly after it was followed by under eye bags. Does anyone know the cause or treatment to get rid of it? I have tried all of the "natural" remedies...

Contact lenses [ 10 Answers ]

I went to the ophthalmologist and had a thorough eye exam - I have worn contacts for ages, went to the optician with the prescription from the ophthalmologist, he fitted me for contacts and recommended Day & Night (or the other way around) and for whatever reason I said, sure, I'll take them. ...

Contact Lenses [ 3 Answers ]

Does any one know some contacts lenses that have the diameter 14.2 and base curve 8.6...

Contact lenses [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I know this has nothing to do with teens but it's the only thing close enough to the question. I have contact lenses I am having a trial week and the only problem is I find it hard to put the lenses in and take out. I have tried many ways but none seem to work. ANY IDEAS?! :confused:

View more questions Search