Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2010, 08:45 PM
    Do You Think That Small Pet Fish Have a Personality?
    Hi, All!

Do you think that small, pet fish have a personality? Or, is it all just automatic action and reaction based upon the type of fish they are?

I'm asking about those that would be small enough to put into a common, household fish tank. Probably no fish over a foot in length.

Thanks!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2010, 10:01 PM

I think they do.

A few years ago I had a Molly (who I named Molly, sad I know) and I used to cup my hand under the water in her tank and she would swim right into it and rest there.
    She was a very friendly fish.

I have had other fish that are so skittish they hide all the time, the only way we knew they were still alive was to move the ornaments in the tank every few days and find them.

At the moment I have a Siamese Fighting Fish, he used to be very skittish and would hide if you walked anywhere near the tank, these days he is very social and eats food right out of your hand.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 22, 2010, 10:32 PM
    Clough, you realize it won't be long before excon asks you to share whatever drugs you are using! :p:p
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2010, 10:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    I think they do.

A few years ago I had a Molly (who I named Molly, sad I know) and I used to cup my hand under the water in her tank and she would swim right into it and rest there.
    She was a very friendly fish.

I have had other fish that are so skittish they hide all the time, the only way we knew they were still alive was to move the ornaments in the tank every few days and find them.

At the moment I have a Siamese Fighting Fish, he used to be very skittish and would hide if you walked anywhere near the tank, these days he is very social and eats food right out of your hand.
    Those are cute and the thing about moving the ornaments is hilarious, shazamataz! :p My daughter got a big "kick" out of that when I read it to her! :)

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2010, 10:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Clough, you realize it won't be long before excon asks you to share whatever drugs you are using! :p:p
    Probably so! I like to give people a reason to ask! :D
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2010, 08:13 PM

I think my bettas do, my guppys and Molly not so much. I have 3 bettas, one attacks me while cleaning his tank, one literally swims in my hand, and I swear the other one looks at me like I'm nuts if I think I can clean his tank without him in it ( he likes to be in it or he flares and gets mad)
    Uber Member

May 17, 2010, 09:37 PM
    Hi, Emily94!

Are all of those types of fish that you have living together in the same tank?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2010, 05:17 AM

My two younger bettas which are about 2 years old live by themselves but my guppys, mollys and eldest betta all live together in a 30 gallon aquarium.
    Uber Member

May 18, 2010, 10:33 AM
    So, even the Betta fish can live with other fish in the same tank? I thoght they were the kind of fish that needed to live alone?
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2010, 08:41 AM

Usually they like to be alone, but he seemed sad in his little tank so I put him in the large tank and crossed my fingers, he swims so much more now! I think he's pretty happy...
    Uber Member

May 23, 2010, 07:36 PM
    Do you think that a pet fish swimming more is potentially a sign of that fish being happy, Emily94?
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2010, 02:16 PM

Before he just sat in the corner and only moved for food. He know swims around the whole tank and doesn't even bother the other fish. I think he seems happier.
    Uber Member

May 24, 2010, 10:44 PM
    I think that you're most likely correct about him being happier, Emily94! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I have a 20 gallon fish tank and my fish are dying [ 6 Answers ]

I got a fish tank and evrything was good and my fish were having fish, and I just added water to the fish tank and just 2 days ago I notes that every time that I check my fish tank there are a lot of fish dead I want to know why?

Small business doing pet waste clean up. How do I get bonded & insured? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in California and would like to start a small business doing pet waste clean up. I know I need a business licence but how do I got about being bonded & insured?

Pet Deposit or Pet Fee in Rental Agreement [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a maximum amount to charge for a pet when renting an apartment in the state of Georgia? Should the pet fee be refundable or non-refundable?

Introducing new pet kitten to old pet bull dog [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone know if there's a proper procedure for introducing a 10-week old kitten to a 5-year old, 80 pound, English bulldog? The bulldog's been a little snappy around puppies. Not sure how he'll react to a new kitten in the house.

Loss of a Pet causing distress on another pet [ 1 Answers ]

Our 4 year old cocker spaniel has experienced the loss of her best friend, our 14 year old Dalmatian. She is exhibiting behaviors that we are not sure how to deal with. She refuses to go onto a tile floor such as the ones in the bathroom or kitchens, and is peeing and pooping in the house quite...

View more questions Search