Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2010, 09:34 AM
    $8,000 homebuyer's credit eligibility
    We've put an offer in on a home; it would be a short sale. The sellers have accepted the offer, but we're waiting for the bank to accept the offer. It's been a month and they haven't requested an additional documentation from the sellers.

Since the sellers accepted prior to the tax credit eligibility expiring, are we still eligible for the credit? Or does it have to be accepted by both the seller and the bank in order to be eligible?
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2010, 07:22 PM

Bump
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 23, 2010, 11:57 AM
    Who holds title on the house? If it is the bank, then THEY must agree to the sale in writing (to be considered under contract) by 30 April 2010 for the sale to qualify for the $8,000 Frst Time Home Buyer's Credit.
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2010, 12:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Who holds title on the house? If it is the bank, then THEY must agree to the sale in writing (to be considered under contract) by 30 April 2010 for the sale to qualify for the $8,000 Frst Time Home Buyer's Credit.
    It is/was in the process of foreclosure. There is a lis pendens filed with the county but as far as I'm aware, the title is still in the seller/owner's name. The seller/owner has accepted our offer but the bank has to accept the offer amount.

We've gotten conflicting information - some say that both parties have to accept, others say we're eligible because the seller accepted before April 30th. We're just looking for the right answer, I'd hate to get the credit and then have to pay back in! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do I fill out on a Rev. Jan 2010 1040x to add first time homebuyer's credit? [ 1 Answers ]

what do I fill out on a Rev. Jan 2010 1040x to add first time homebuyer's credit?

Child tax credit eligibility [ 9 Answers ]

I came US first time(H1) in June08 and wife and daughter (4 Yrs) (H4) came on Oct08. As I am Resident alien and filing 1040A married jointly, can I eligible for Child tax credit? Prior to US, they were living with me in India.

Recovery rebate credit eligibility Not filed 07 tax return since I was a Non Resident [ 2 Answers ]

I have not filed 2007 Tax and I was not employed in US and I was a Non resident. Can I claim Recovery refund credit while filing 2008 return.

First time home buyer tax credit eligibility [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am not H1B visa and my wife is on H4 visa. I have SSN and my wife has ITIN. We are planning to buy a house and I want to know if we are eligible to receive $7500 tax credit when I file the tax return for 2008. Thank you

Eligibility on FSA enrollment and tax credit [ 3 Answers ]

I am working for a company and having H1-B visa. My wife and son are on dependent visa (H-4). Because of dependent visa, my wife is not eligible to work. My son will start going to preschool from Dec’07. My questions are: 1. Am I eligible for FSA enrollment? As my wife can not work ( because...

View more questions Search