Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2010, 11:42 PM
    Tips and Tricks for Refinishing Wooden Decks
    Hi, All!

Okay, I've been refinishing furniture since about 1979. No problem doing that!

Really would like to know more about the cleaning, stripping, sanding, staining and sealing of wooden decks.

Stripped, sanded and sealed a really large one a couple of years ago for a friend. It was treated lumber. Turned out really good! However, it's the only one that I've ever done.

What are some tips and tricks that you have to doing it on treated or untreated lumber, please?

Cleaning, stripping, sanding, staining, sealing, etc.

Types of equipment and materials to use - cleaner, stripper, sander, abrasive paper, brushes, stain, sealer, et al.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2010, 11:04 PM
    I wonder where our Home Improvement Experts are? I know that I need to be patient. However, I'm making the bid later today! :eek:

Just looking for a few tips and tricks... Surely, there are those who are accustomed to "doing" decks here!
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2010, 01:05 AM
    I still would appreciate help with this! I've got people contacting me to make bids.

Thanks!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 27, 2010, 04:56 AM

Sorry Clough. If I knew anything significant I would be happy to share. All I know is be careful with power washers. You can do a lot of damage if the pressure is to high. Of course there are the chemical cleaners at home centers. Other than that, all I know is scrap and sand.
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2010, 12:09 PM
    Thank you for responding, Harold!

I think that I'm fine with the application of the stain/sealer.

It's the prep that is really the most concern for me so that it's done as quickly and as efficiently as possible.

Do you have any recommendations as far as the type of sander to use? I've been used to using a palm sander on furniture. The last deck that I did, I also used a palm sander, but it seemed to take forever! I know that I would need the type of sander that wouldn't leave any marks that would go against the grain nor one that would cut too deep, too quickly.

Thanks!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 27, 2010, 09:17 PM

I would recommend a random orbiting sander (ROS) and about a 80 or 100 grit paper. You could use a small belt sander but you have to be real careful, they can cut very fast. Maybe a combination of both. The belt sander in ares where you have adequate room and control and the ROS in corners or close to obstacles.

Remember you are not refinishing furniture, you only want to smooth the surface and remove previous paints and stains.
    Rover88 Posts: 68, Reputation: 14

Apr 28, 2010, 11:47 AM

Clough,
    I used one of the large, rental, orbital sanders for my hardwood floors inside (I wanted to be careful to not remove much stock). As well as this worked on white oak, I can imagine it would be great for a deck! It would be a LOT faster than using a palm sander! I also used a palm sander and a belt sander for edges and hard-to-reach areas.
    Bill
    Uber Member

May 2, 2010, 01:24 PM
    Hi, Rover88!

Thanks for your response and information!

It's possible that I might need to go rent a sander.

Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 2, 2010, 07:57 PM

Sorry Clough, out of town for the weekend. Never sanded a deck in my life. Strip with an oxygen bleach cleaner, or if algea present 1:3 parts household bleach. Power wash 15 minutes later with 1800 psi washer held at least 10" off the wood. Sealing is like what color should I paint my house. There are really good water based sealers which can be clear or tinted. Oil base has been the leader for decades but is not holding its old market share. I use Thompsons Water Seal Wood Protector with a tint. THOMPSONS WOOD PROTECTOR COLOR FINISH 11821 THOMPSON&#39S
    Uber Member

May 2, 2010, 09:25 PM
    I did a lot of research a couple of years ago. Found that Sherwin-Williams has a sealer that is supposed to be the best on the market. Also, did a lot of research on the pricing for that kind of work. Found that, unlike painting, there really is no standard way of figuring it nationwide, nor from location to location.

Made an estimate today on a very large deck. Qualified everything in the estimate so the customer knows exactly what they're getting.

Am very hopeful that I get the job!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tips and Tricks to Peeling Boiled Eggs? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, All! Are there any? I get pretty sloppy in the kitchen. Sometimes I prepare some things that are tasty, sometimes... well, I guess that I might call them "experiments". Peeling boiled eggs, to me, is something of a chore as well as a potential mess. Is there an easy way to peel...

Series 7 - Derivatives - Tricks and Study Tips [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for any tricks, easy charts, pneumonic devices etc. for derivatives for the series 7 exam. I have seen a few but I am just looking for some insight from others. Calls Puts Spreads Straddles I have a fairly good reference now but I am open to suggestions from people here.

Furnace Pilot Light Keeps Blowing Out. Any Tips or Tricks to Keeping It Lit? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! The pilot light on my very old model Heil gas central warm-air furnace keeps blowing out when it gets very windy. Are there any tips or tricks to keeping the pilot light from blowing out? Thanks!

Hair Straightening Tools, Tips & Tricks [ 1 Answers ]

I don't have particularly dry hair, but I don't have grease-easy hair. I don't have particularly straight hair, but I totally don't have curly hair. I'm in the middle by most accounts. However, what products aid in hair straightening that won't leave my hair oily or greasy after using? Also, does...

Roof top decks [ 2 Answers ]

Our new apt. in NYC has roof rights. We are allowed to build on our area, which I really want to do, but I can't find info on building a deck on a roof. Most books, advice columns, etc are about decks that are built in a yard. Can anyone recommend info specifically on building roof decks in...

View more questions Search