Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2010, 11:02 PM
    Tinnitus. Anyone Ever Known of a Cure or Relief for It?
    Hi, All!

I have really severe tinnitus. The sound in my ears/head never stops. I attribute it to all the loud music that I've played over the years on various instruments, by myself or in groups.

It's not so much a "ringing" as like a "white noise". But, it's ever present and sounds like two C's on the octave.

Was told by a doctor yesterday, that there is no cure for it.

Is that true?

If there is any cure for the condition or relief for the amplitude of the sound, I'd certainly like to hear, oops! I mean read about it!

Thanks!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2010, 04:52 AM

There is no cure... and there is no natural suppliment that will make it go away... contrary to advertising claims you may hear.

Its not a white noise in my case... but more like 2 or three similar tones simultaniously. Yeah I do know the differnce between white and pink noise as well.

I too suffer from it and have for nearly 35 years... (caused by an explosion) I have learned to simply tune it out. Yeah its always there but essentually I've learned to NOT focus on it.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2010, 12:24 PM
    Hi, smoothy!

Sometimes it's hard for me not to focus on it. Does yours ever get louder or softer at times? Also, what's "pink noise", please?

Thanks!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2010, 12:56 PM

White noise is a broad spectrum of frequencies all at the same level as electronic instruments would measure it... however our ears don't respond in a linear fashion.

Pink noise basically will be the same levels balanced according to how our ears actually hear it.

You would use pink noise to calibrate a home stereo for example.

What I hear would be considered a polyphonic tone... No I haven't actually figured it out precisely... but its roughly a 15khz tone giver or take a small range above and below that.

Yes it will chage slightly... usually in concert with events that would effect my blood pressure such as getting extremely angry. That's when I do notice a big change. Usually it goes up in pitch a very noticeable amount when that happens.

Strangely enough... I still can hear very high frequencies... actually measured upwards to 23khs.

The event that caused this was a result of teenage stupidity (I won't go any further)... couldn't hear anything for an hour and a half. Luckily my eardrums weren't ruptured at the time. It was powerful enough that a window was blown out.
    inheart Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

May 3, 2010, 09:32 AM

I also have tinnitus (10k range). The audiologist would send sounds through the headphones to match what I was hearing, that is how you find out what the frequency is. It is a phantom noise you hear derived from your brain at least that is what I was told. It really bothered me until I knew what it was and where it was coming from, now I just ignore it most of the time. There are some claims that certain supplements will help but I have yet to know if they work, I suspect not. There are treatments you can get from an Audiologist and hearing aids that will produce a sound to blend with your tinnitus sounds so it will give you some relief. It gets louder the quieter it is like at bedtime or when you are paying attention to it. But now that I know it is a phantom noise my mind creates I just deal with it. It doesn't bother me any more even though it’s still there. But make no mistake if you can’t deal with it go seek help. It can cause irritation and moodiness as well as loss of sleep. Loss sleep should not be taken lightly is can be detrimental in the long run.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cure for palpitation [ 3 Answers ]

I am suffering from palpitation from last many years and it is more frequent recently. Since last few months I am facing financial crisis and am insecure about the future. I have taken cipralex, raxipra,zapiz,dapsol,depolate and a few such anti depressant and anti anxiety medicines but to no use. ...

The Cure. [ 3 Answers ]

I believe this is where this type of question should be posted... I was curious if someone had any idea on how to convert a live DVD concert to the correct audio format... so I could play it on my iPod (nano) -- . I heard/read it somewhere that it's possible... My search on trying to find out how...

Tinnitus problems [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone out there have any solutions for ringing in the ears. The ringing is continual and it is keeping me awake at night. I been experiencing this for 3 or 4 months now and I feel like I am going crazy! HELP!!

Getting off the cure [ 2 Answers ]

Having successfully quit smoking using Chantrix, I am wondering if I will experience cravings for cigarettes when I try to stop the medication. Although Chantrix has helped a lot, the withdrawal symptoms still wear you down and I am not sure if I will have the strengh to withstand another couple of...

View more questions Search