Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2010, 08:40 PM
    Addictions. How Do You and Have You Dealt With Them?
    Hi, All!

I mean the question in a general way. Although, perhaps I should make it more specific, but maybe a general listing of things that have happened and coping strategies might provide help to some people... Being specific about instances is okay too!

For now, the addiction could be drugs, alcohol, love, sex, medications, food, having a desire to do something over and over again, even though it's been proven not to be healthy to do so. Maybe even other things..

It could be about you, a relative, a friend or coworker, etc.

What might be some of the steps that you or others have taken to deal with the addiction?

For instance - Have you hidden it? Been afraid to reveal it about you or someone else? Afraid to "snitch" on a coworker or other person for fear of some kind of retaliation or the results of "snitching" in one way or another? Successfully helped yourself or someone else? Maybe even actually saved your own, or been a part of saving the life and/or reputation of someone else?

In order to be successful at dealing with the addiction in a positive and proactive way, to cure the addiction, what might be some of the first steps as well as follow-up steps to take in order to be able to do that?

Protecting the privacy of others is paramount here, but please do share..

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2010, 09:23 PM

Addictions are a behavior you can't stop and my feeling is you have to be genetically wired for that behavior.

Addictive behavior is quite different.

OK, so I drink too many Pepsi's. Is that addictive. I also drink unsweetened iced tea as my preferred beverage. Coffee give me a headache. All have cafeine.

I like wine before going to bed and on ice creame. Every night, no.

AT one point in my life I had a coffee and donut nearly every morning for breakfast. I quit when I saw the nasty reprocussions.

Yep, I did probably get "addicted" to a prescription for about 4 weeks. Still taking it, but after 25 years, but no cravings. Broke the cycle myself. I was taking the drug for an inappropriate condition. A migraine med for a sinus headache. Detoxed myself and made sure the triggers were right for addicting medication and then no problems.

I believe I had a glimpse into that world, but I didn't stay long.

You have to watch substitution and stepping stones to worsening behaviors.

I'll end it with "Everything in moderation. With too much water, you can drown" It's a simple premise to believe in.
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2010, 09:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Addictions are a behavior you can't stop and my feeling is you have to be genetically wired for that behavior.

Addictive behavior is quite different.

OK, so i drink too many Pepsi's. Is that addictive. I also drink unsweetened iced tea as my preferred beverage. Coffee give me a headache. All have cafeine.

I like wine before going to bed and on ice creame. Every night, no.

AT one point in my life I had a coffee and donut nearly every morning for breakfast. I quit when I saw the nasty reprocussions.

Yep, I did probably get "addicted" to a prescription for about 4 weeks. Still taking it, but after 25 years, but no cravings. Broke the cycle myself. I was taking the drug for an inappropriate condition. A migraine med for a sinus headache. Detoxed myself and made sure the triggers were right for addicting medication and then no problems.

I believe I had a glimpse into that world, but I didn't stay long.

You have to watch substitution and stepping stones to worsening behaviors.

I'll end it with "Everything in moderation. With too much water, you can drown" It's a simple premise to believe in.
    Okay, so it does depend on what a person's definition as to what an addiction is. That can vary, depending on the individual.

I do take exception to what you write, that a addictions "are a behavior you can't stop."

Both caffeine and sugar can be considered to be addictive, depending on the definition for addiction or that which is addictive.

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2010, 10:18 PM

I did say "addiction" and "addictive behaviors" and I don't think they are the same.

The "addiction" needs the genetic glue, the "addictive bahaviors" don't.
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2010, 10:43 PM
    To me, it's still a matter of definition. An addictive behavior, to me, can become an addiction if it's done long enough that it becomes a problem that's hard for the person to stop.

Anyway, what do you think might be the first ways a person might come to realize that they are addicted to something, KISS?

Thanks!
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2010, 03:49 AM
    In my addiction it took the courts to 'help' me decide that either juvenile lock-up or treatment were going to be the next step.

I chose treatment(imagine that:p)

In the first 2 1/2 weeks I detoxed(yes,I was a full blown addict/alcoholic at age 15),then the subsequent 30 day program was extended because it took so long for me to find reality.I stayed in treatment for a total of 6 1/2 weeks.(this was back in '84)

I learned that I was powerless over my behaviors,my addiction,my need to self medicate.

During the time in treatment we had many outings to meetings,some in house,many more outside the hospital, just to get us exposed to the meetings and the people.That alone was a HUGE factor in my recovery.

No,I haven't been clean and sober for all these years,there have been times I have returned to the chaos, but from that time in treatment,I learned.I learned that I had a problem,a disease,treatable but not curable.The progression of it can be stopped, and at my discretion,can be started again simply by taking that first drink/drug,etc.

In time I learned the steps suggested by the program I followed,I attended 90 meetings in 90 days(as suggested by the program),I found someone who I could believe in and asked them to be my sponsor and we began to work the steps of the program.

Now I have attended meetings in 6 different states,100's of locations in them,met close to 150,000 people in recovery(no,I couldn't name even 1/100th of them, but we all follow one idea,don't take that first drink/drug,etc.)

Today for the first time in my life,I am going to be smoke free,I have smoked for more than 30 years, it's the last vice(besides gambling,, hehe) that I have to end in my life, it is said to be harder than alcohol or drugs, but with the knowledge I have of how AA/NA,etc work,I can apply the steps to this addiction and overcome this one too.

Basic rules for recovery of addictions.

1) You don't take that first drink/drug.

2) Call your sponsor BEFORE you take that first drink/drug

3) You only have to be sober for 24 hours a day,if you can't make it,see rule 2

4) Attend 90 meetings in 90 days,it gets you associated with those in recovery, people with addictions don't recover on their own,we need support.

One of the phrases used in the program is:I am responsible when anyone,anywhere,reaches out for help,I want the hand of(aa/na,etc) to be there,and for that I am responsible.(paraphrased as I don't have the literature in front of me right now)

I didn't recover alone,I can't expect others to do it alone either.I was given a gift,the gift of sobriety.I owe anyone who wants to recover my time,effort,support,etc.Others gave to me,now it's my turn.

In the beginnings of recovery it is a selfish process, newcomers need to learn things,new coping skills,ways to overcome the urges,ways to not repeat the past failures.After a time,that changes,they begin to understand the recovery process and they start to return the efforts given freely to them by others, sometimes it's simple things(cleaning up after a meeting,offering encouragement to others,fellowship before and after a meeting,etc)

I guess this could go on and on, eventually it would sound like a speaker meeting so I'll stop here(for now:p)
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2010, 12:17 AM
    What an articulate and heartfelt post, KBC!

You really are a profile in courage! :)
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2010, 03:20 AM
    I wonder if others will add their experiences as well?

Thanks Clough, I really do like to share these things,it is a good reminder to me of where I came from and where I am today, miles away from those ways,for sure:)
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2010, 10:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    I wonder if others will add their experiences as well??

Thanks Clough,,I really do like to share these things,it is a good reminder to me of where I came from and where I am today,,miles away from those ways,for sure:)
    I sure do hope that others will also share their experiences!

By the way, I attended another meeting this morning...

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2010, 03:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post

Thanks!
    More more more,, what have you begun to see,anything?
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2010, 03:51 PM

I'm an alcoholic/addict. Tomorrow is my first anniversary of sobriety. I was a daily beer drinker for over thirty years. Then I had to take prescription painkillers for over three years following two surgeries. The strongest type, Oxycodone. The depression from loss of mobility at the beginning of parenthood took it's toll. It really gave the addiction a foothold.

I almost overdosed several times.

I went to be detoxed, did a 35 day stay in rehab(wonderful place), and am still an active member in AA.

I live with daily pain, but understand that I simply cannot take drugs for relief. Only Motrin.

I am clean, and want to stay that way. I will not say that I won't ever drink or drug again. Because I don't know what the future holds for me, and also know the demon of addiction. All I do know is that as of today, I won't drink or take drugs. You see, it's one day at a time, every day, every week...

The love of a good woman, AA, and the God of my understanding is what worked for me. And for those reasons, I am eternally grateful.

I'll gladly help anyone with the problem of drugs and alcohol. Just PM me.

God bless the still suffering alcoholic/addict.
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2010, 02:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    I'm an alcoholic/addict. Tomorrow is my first anniversary of sobriety. I was a daily beer drinker for over thirty years. Then I had to take prescription painkillers for over three years following two surgeries. The strongest type, Oxycodone. The depression from loss of mobility at the beginning of parenthood took it's toll. It really gave the addiction a foothold.

I almost overdosed several times.

I went to be detoxed, did a 35 day stay in rehab(wonderful place), and am still an active member in AA.

I live with daily pain, but understand that I simply cannot take drugs for relief. Only Motrin.

I am clean, and want to stay that way. I will not say that I won't ever drink or drug again. Because I don't know what the future holds for me, and also know the demon of addiction. All I do know is that as of today, I won't drink or take drugs. You see, it's one day at a time, every day, every week........

The love of a good woman, AA, and the God of my understanding is what worked for me. And for those reasons, I am eternally grateful.

I'll gladly help anyone with the problem of drugs and alcohol. Just PM me.

God bless the still suffering alcoholic/addict.
    Okay, you've inspired me to come clean here, jmjoseph! Since you're jumping on the bandwagon with that, I'm going to reveal that I just got out of detox for alcohol this past week. Also, joined AA this past week.

I never want to go through the DT's again!

Have been clean for just a little over a week...

Man, it's tough!

I have a great sponsor, though!

Congratulations on going for a whole year! I'm sure that it's been tough for you!

Thank you so much for sharing! :)

Yeah, one day, even one moment at a time...

Thanks! :)
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2010, 02:52 PM
    Originally Posted by Clough

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    More more more,, what have you begun to see,anything?
    I've made a number of new friends, got a piano tuning without solicitating it, I also spoke at the meeting yesterday morning without having any tears.

I'm starting to accept things...

But, it's really tough, as I'm sure that you know!

I'm not nearly as articulate and well-spoken as some of the veterans in the groups. Mind is still in a fog. Can't remember everything that even happened in treatment...

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2010, 03:37 PM

Clough. It takes something serious for us to finally see that there is indeed a problem with alcohol and/or drugs. Like an elevator, our problem has different levels. We all have our own "bottom" to hit before we get the appropriate help. I just hope that someone out there who is suffering from this disease, will see that it CAN and DOES happen every day.

People get sober every day. But sadly for so many of us, we lose so much, and do so much harm to the ones we truly love, before we will accept help.

You are taking the best path for a successful recovery. Alcoholics just cannot quit drinking at home. They can possibly die from the seizures. Detox, rehab , and then AA or an equivalent 12 step program ( AA is the best I think anyway). That's from everything I've been taught as being the best way to lifelong sobriety.

Clough, I know it was hard for you to admit that you have a problem. But understand that you are not weak. You are not a bad person. You are just sick, and are getting better.

I am very proud of you. And you should be too.

God bless you.

Hang in there. It gets better with time.
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2010, 05:04 PM
    Bless your heart, jmjoseph!

You're a wonderful witness! :)

What I'm looking forward to, is that those of us with addictions helping one another here!

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2010, 05:11 PM

I'm not nearly as articulate and well-spoken as some of the veterans in the groups.
    'THAT' comes in time,, don't sweat the small stuff, it's all small stuff.. :)

The more you participate in meetings,the more your true self comes out,the more you FEEL feelings,, you will become more at ease with wording,procedure,opening readings, daily meditations... etc.

Within a few years I had the How It Works down to where I didn't have to read from the pages.

The steps were from memory as well.

The promises were not always read,so they took a while longer(and they will only materialize if we work for them anyway:p)
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2010, 05:30 PM
    Right now, it feels like my brain is fried because of all the drinking.

Still in a fog. Especially after last week!

Will I recover my thinking? During a period in the 1980's when I gave up drinkiing for Lent, my speech and thinking were so fast that a relative asked me to slow down!

But, I'm a lot older now...
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2010, 06:31 PM

As a purely physical process your mental acuity should improve daily. When I "tied one on" I found that it took about 10 days to return to normal. Your rate, of course, will be a little different. You mentioned de-tox, if they provided any stabilizing medication (shots, TR tabs) that may be operative. Also, if you experienced DTs that amounts to a significant disruption of a whole gaggle of neurons that must re-orient and get back in proper firing sequence. But it all works out and within a short period you'll be purring along. Keep that sponsor's number handy and work through any potential problems early-on before they reach crisis level. Also, get some multi-vitamins. Not magic but helpful.
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2010, 07:04 PM
    Right now, it feels like my brain is fried because of all the drinking.

Still in a fog. Especially after last week!

Will I recover my thinking? During a period in the 1980's when I gave up drinkiing for Lent, my speech and thinking were so fast that a relative asked me to slow down!

But, I'm a lot older now...
    I haven't felt this good in years. I mean that. I can almost speed- read now. Almost.

Your body has some "repairations" to do. You didn't become an alcoholic overnight, you're not going to be "clean" overnight.

What better way to prolong your life than to quit "pickling" yourself, huh?

You will have reminders. You will be tried. But like DrBill mentions, keep your sponsor's number handy. And PM me anytime you want.

I will mention one thing. Beware of the "jump". I know alcoholics who think they are doing so good, but with the help of Xanax, or Valium. Just try to stay away from ANY mood altering substance. Tobacco and coffee don't count. I no longer smoke(six years), but I sure do like my coffee.

God bless. Good night to all.
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2010, 01:41 AM
    Now, this is the way to go! Right?

fun and friendy rehab
    30 days $6,500, pool, spa, beach, surf, Opiates, Meth, Alcohol, detox, pets OK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Has anyone dealt with Ford Credit? [ 13 Answers ]

I need help help QUICKLY!! I am 50 days behind on my car payment and they want the whole amount ($840) by this Friday and they want it Money Gram. I did an ebill payment last week that was returned because my paycheck went in on the midnight of Friday-Saturday and I had it set for Friday.I thought...

What hand do we get dealt? [ 14 Answers ]

People who have had it rough seem to me to be the down to earth, sure-self kind. Is that because of what they have been through and what they have had to deal with or is it because they are life aware that they get given a ty hand in the first place. Does the man make the metal or does the metal...

Tell me a Difficult situation and how you dealt with it? [ 2 Answers ]

Tell me a Difficult situation and how you dealt with it?

Anybody dealt with chicken pox? [ 12 Answers ]

My 2.5yo, I think has chicken pox. Not really sure though. No itching, no fever. Red bumps/rash on his face, a few on rear, maybe one on his back, clusters of them near underwear line. And a bunch on his arm. I thought , yesterday, this was an allergic reaction to washing powder... gave a bath and...

View more questions Search