Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2010, 02:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Now, this is the way to go! Right?
    Nice try! The place I went to would not even let us use a phone. Yea, try that for 5 weeks. We could however write and receive letters.

It's all for the cause of getting better.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2010, 02:19 AM
    Where I went was for the detox thing. I was in real bad shape when I went in. After the first night there and after having not drunk any alcohol, I could hardly walk. Nurses had to take me under both arms just to get me across the hall for the examination by the doctor.

When initially went in, they made me emply all of my pockets. I was allowed to keep hardly anything, other than clothes and stuff for my contact lenses, while I was there.
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2010, 03:50 PM
    I've got another AA meeting tonight at 8:00 P.M. That will be the third, different group to which I've been.

How are you doing with not smoking, KBC?

Thanks!
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2010, 08:44 PM

KISS AND CLOUGH- MY thopughts on this is about the same as clough just said
    above I will add this #1- There was more then one of you preasent in those mettings,HE WAS THERE helping you ,#1a- BECAUSE HE SAW AND KNEW YOU WERE DOING AS HE WANTED YOU TO DO!! -CLEAN UP YOUR THOUGHTS<WAY
    THAT YOU WERE DESTROYING YOUR BODY,HE saws in the BIBLE that we are not to do thiongs that is harmful to our bodies; { KISS AND CLOUG --I WILL SAY THAT IT TAKES A MAN TO ADMIT HIS MISTAKES< AND WRONGS HE MAKES
    I look up to you both eor admiting them; } NOW let me say this , I used to drink back in the service time and a few years after, most so while overseas. What cajsed me to stop was that my wife's next to younger brother and his girlfreind [both age 16],left barb and my home going to the show in town and a drunk driver came around a curve and hit them head on ,killing both instantly;he was driving pretty fast and was on their side of the road, also he had (NO)
    driverslicense from drunk driving. Then about a year later my oldest sister and husband was killed the same way and I told myself that it could be ME doing that someday and{ I QUIT};;now I had one other bad habit; I and two other boys started smoking ,and I finnaly about six years ago, I smoked non filter camels all those years ,I was 68 years old then and I started when I was seven or eight, it took me severl years ,trying different things . Hypo. three times , cold turkey, help from others, but they have said that it is harder to break the smoking habit then it is tio break the heron habit;I had the want to but just couldn't, then I developed my own way ;; I started to miss that eirst one every morning ,includeing after breakfast, talk about hard ,I almost went crazy I wanted a cigreetteso bad ,but I held out, I got that done after a couple weeks and then started working on after supper, got that worked out and went to the one just before bed time, this one was really hard and took about three weeks ;WHAT HELPED ME TO OVER COME THIS WAS A LOT OF PRAYING AND ASKING FOR HIS HELP AND IT HELPED MOST OF ALL < I still have the erdge whin I smell smoke when someone is cl;ose and smoking, I've come close a few times to just take a small drugg but held my strength and refused : BUT I have told others on how I did it and they have tried it and it worked for them also;;AND ANYONE READING THIS WANTS TO STOP SMOKING <I WILL SAY PLEASE DO TRY WHAT HELPED ME<AND SOME OTHERS!! NOW the problem with my lungs by two lung doctors is not from my smoking all those years ,they were as surprised as I was ,more so because of the kind of cig. I smoked; I still thank the good LORD for that;; Now over the past three years I have come to find out about something that I really or anyone else can do about it I was very healthy all my life until four years ago , I used to have to have a flight phys. Two times a year and passed them with flying colors,then wam,it hit me hard,it got to be so hard for a doctor to give me any kind of medeicans; I was sent to a speiacelist [allergery doctor in MEMphis and tested to allerges to medications ; [lets say that I am sure glad that I was never hooked [addited to drugs ];ecause I would hsave been dead a long,long time ago ;he wrote to my doctors that I am one in ten thousand that I was really allergic to most drugs[medications] and that some were very toxie to my body; in the past three years I have came so close to dying so many times [ o if you know any one that is allergic to (fishand seafood ) STAY AWAY FROM THE DYETHAT SPECIAL X-rays ARE MADE WITH AND Before YOU HAVE A {HEART CATH: WHERE THEY HAVE TO USE IT ALSO {PLEASE TELL YOUR DOCTOR THAT YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO FISH AND SEAFOOD} this has come so close to killing me twice that they even told my wife to cakll the rest of the family in because I wouldn't make it threw the night ; and to top it off the last time they put me in the hosptiol a week ahead of time giving me pre meds that was susposed to counter act the dye,but within a very few hours I was put into critrical care unit for seven days and then a few days on the floor went home and was brought back again just a little less then two weeks in a comma and the testing they did showed that I still had some of the dye in my body, threw AUG,08 and
    DEC,08 I WAS TAKEN TO THE HOSPITAL 7 TIMES DUE TO THE DYE AND HEART MEDICAINES:: When I had the heart cath. And the dye was used and I iwas put into ICU in aug 08 I was in a coma for the first four daysKISS and CLOUGH, if there is any way at all that I can help with these problems .please let me know ; BUT PLEASE REMEMBER THIS { GO TO GOD IN PRAYER AND ASK HIM TO HELP YOU WITH THIS PROBLEM. You can do this alone or you can GO TO YOUR PASTOR AND TALK WITH HIM AND TO HELP YOU TO PRAY AND ASK GODS HELP< GOD WILL ANSWER YOUR PRAYERS AT THE RIGHT TIME: ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS GO TO HIM IN PRAYER< GOD I ASK YOU NOW AT THIS TIME TO GO TO KISS AND CLOUGH AND HELP THEM WITH THIS PROBLEMAND I ASK THAT TYOU WILL GIVE THEIR DOCTORS THE KNOWLEDGE TO HELP THEM IN EVERY WAY THEY CAN < IN JESUS NAME THANK YOU GOD FOR WHAT YOUR SON DONE FOR US AND PAID THE PRICE FOR OUR SINS <THANK YOU GOD AMEN
    IM SORRY TO HAVE WRITTEN A BOOK <BUT I GUESS I WAS TRYING TO HELP YOU BOTH ANY WAY I COULD ::: HAVE a great day and GOD BLESS::F.B>E.
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2010, 08:55 PM
    Thank you so much for sharing, Flying Blue Eagle! There's even more people on this thread who've had problems with additions. Please read it all the way through.

Thank you for the prayer! I know that you care!

I pray morning and night and throughout the day, even one minute at a time...

Are you still on oxygen? I remember the many times that you've been in the hospital since we've known each other on this site.

It's been great working together as a team with you! :)

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2010, 09:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    Clough. It takes something serious for us to finally see that there is indeed a problem with alcohol and/or drugs. Like an elevator, our problem has different levels. We all have our own "bottom" to hit before we get the appropriate help. I just hope that someone out there who is suffering from this disease, will see that it CAN and DOES happen every day.

People get sober every day. But sadly for so many of us, we lose so much, and do so much harm to the ones we truly love, before we will accept help.

You are taking the best path for a successful recovery. Alcoholics just cannot quit drinking at home. They can quite possibly die from the seizures. Detox, rehab , and then AA or an equivalent 12 step program ( AA is the best I think anyway). That's from everything I've been taught as being the best way to lifelong sobriety.

Clough, I know it was hard for you to admit that you have a problem. But understand that you are not weak. You are not a bad person. You are just sick, and are getting better.

I am very proud of you. And you should be too.

God bless you.

Hang in there. It gets better with time.
    For me, jmjoseph, I had to hit rock bottom. And, that's exactly what happened a week ago Saturday.

On the Friday before that Saturday, I was tuning the piano at a customer's home and kept throwing up. I wouldn't admit it, but I was in alcohol withdrawl.

The next day, Saturday, I again started drinking in the morning - vodka and orange juice. Called a friend to pick me up so that I could help her and her son to work in a yard. I was pretty much useless.

She took me home, where my daughter proceeded to yell at me, "You're gonna die! You're gonna die!"

At that point, my friend took me to the hospital where I started on the detox thing.

More about the detox thing later...

Hopefully, others will also share concerning that sort of thing.

Thanks!
    eyebright Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Apr 26, 2010, 11:52 PM

You've got to replace it with something better. The addiction is there because of a real need. You have to meet that need in a better way, and then the addiction won't have so much power.
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2010, 01:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebright View Post
    you've got to replace it with something better. The addiction is there because of a real need. You have to meet that need in a better way, and then the addiction won't have so much power.
    It's not always so black and white.

You do realize that there is a genetic connection in SOME alcoholics/addicts?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2010, 03:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    I've got another AA meeting tonight at 8:00 P.M. That will be the third, different group to which I've been.

Thanks!
    As F.B.E. said,'It's harder to quit smoking than to quit Heroin'

I have smoked during the day,the effects of the patch and added smokes has taken a toll on me,I have serious sweat issues,powerful dream scenes,appetite is all but gone, all normal for too much nicotine in the system(I guess)(Where's J_9 when you need that medical advice anyway... :p)

Anyway... I don't wake with a craving,I don't have cravings at night, nor after the (sparse)meals I have, mine happen during the day,when I used to reward myself for doing good hard effort and took a break.I can't smoke in the bobcat,it has an enclosed cab(and it isn't mine), so when I get out to look over what I am working on,I look first to the smoking.That has to be curbed.

I see that you are making the meetings, more,more more!! Meeting makers make it!The more you are involved with those in recovery(those who WANT to recover),the better the chances you'll have when the next craving hits you, as F.B.E.also stated about spirituality,meetings are a charging place,readying your response to the temptation of the outlet drinking used to be.

You can't forget,your disease is right outside the front door of the meeting,doing it's best to stay in shape while you are in there,just in case it has to pick you up when you slip,,

Relapse isn't a requirement for recovery.

Ken
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2010, 03:55 AM
    [QUOTE=Flying Blue Eagle;... ::: HAVE a great day and GOD BLESS::F.B>E.[/QUOTE]

From somewhere,you have hit a spot in me, from a few years ago,something you wrote made me open my eyes.I knew you were someone I should respond to,to follow,as-it-were.

Your stories,your experiences,your success in the face of hardships,etc.All these and more have had me thinking you are someone special, that I should listen to the wisdom offered,lest it be gone from my life.

Thank you for offering your story about your losses to drunk drivers,there are far too many who can't or won't due to this or that reason.Overall,I think the need to expose the real issues of alcohol and it's negative impact on man needs to be addressed.Life experiences like this are prime examples.

You are a most honored member here F.B.E. I think I have let you know that in the past and wanted to make sure you hear it again.:)
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2010, 12:16 PM
    Originally Posted by eyebright
    You've got to replace it with something better. The addiction is there because of a real need. You have to meet that need in a better way, and then the addiction won't have so much power.
    It's not always so black and white.

You do realize that there is a genetic connection in SOME alcoholics/addicts?
    My mom's dad was a horrible alcoholic. There was also severe alcoholism on my dad's side.

Somewhere online, there's an article from an early newspaper about one of my relatives being found, I think in a shack by the Mississippi River, after having died from alcohol poisoning. I'll see if I can find the article.
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2010, 12:25 PM
    Originally Posted by Clough

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    As F.B.E. said,'It's harder to quit smoking than to quit Heroin'

I have smoked during the day,the effects of the patch and added smokes has taken a toll on me,I have serious sweat issues,powerful dream scenes,appetite is all but gone, all normal for too much nicotine in the system(I guess)(Where's J_9 when you need that medical advice anyway... :p)

Anyway... I don't wake with a craving,I don't have cravings at night, nor after the (sparse)meals I have, mine happen during the day,when I used to reward myself for doing good hard effort and took a break.I can't smoke in the bobcat,it has an enclosed cab(and it isn't mine), so when I get out to look over what I am working on,I look first to the smoking.That has to be curbed.

I see that you are making the meetings, more,more more!! Meeting makers make it!The more you are involved with those in recovery(those who WANT to recover),the better the chances you'll have when the next craving hits you, as F.B.E.also stated about spirituality,meetings are a charging place,readying your response to the temptation of the outlet drinking used to be.

You can't forget,your disease is right outside the front door of the meeting,doing it's best to stay in shape while you are in there,just in case it has to pick you up when you slip,,

Relapse isn't a requirement for recovery.

Ken
    I'm not clear...

So, are you saying that you have smoked some during the day since trying to quit?

The A.A. meeting last night was wonderful! Made some additional new friends and got some more numbers to call. Might have even gotten another new member for my barbershop chorus!

The next meeting that I go to will be tomorrow night!

I haven't had an alcoholic drink since April 17th!

Man, would I really like to have a beer! :eek:

I tell them about my cravings at the meetings.
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2010, 02:42 PM

Clough, do you need some long term rehab? If you are not going to at least one, preferably two, meetings a day, you are taking risks with your sobriety. Right now you are a "dry drunk". Nothing has changed in your life except the elimination of alcohol in your BODY. Now is the time that you start working on your MIND. There are the steps to begin. You already know the steps, now work on number one. I sure hope your sponsor is tough on you right now to be LIVING AA.

This the tough period.

You say that you want "a beer" What I hear is " I want to suck the bottom out of fifth of Smirnoff." Tell the truth, A beer?

You need to be doing anything other than thinking of a drink. You really need to be in an institution right now. They are there for a reason. Is there any reason why you didn't seek further treatment?

Statistically speaking, people with extended care after detox have a higher chance of staying sober. And statistically speaking, even those who go to rehab, have a 60% percent chance of relapse.

With not stack the odds in your favor?

I'm pulling for you Clough. I'm praying for you too. But if you want to keep that April 17th sobriety date, you are going to have to bust your butt to do it.

You are going to have to make some major changes in your lifestyle and way of thinking.
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2010, 02:45 PM
    Yes,I have had smokes since starting the patch, I am currently down to 5 a day now.. The patch doesn't replace the habit,at least for me it hasn't,it does make it so you can go without, if you are strong enough... I am not,, yet.. But I'm getting there.

Progress,not perfection.
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2010, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    Yes,I have had smokes since starting the patch,,I am currently down to 5 a day now..The patch doesn't replace the habit,at least for me it hasn't,it does make it so you can go without,,if you are strong enough...I am not,,,yet..But I'm getting there.

Progress,not perfection.
    KBC, I quit almost 7 years ago. I smoked less and less, and used Wellbutrin for three weeks and then just stopped altogether.

I was tempted to restart while in rehab, but I'm glad I didn't.

If you can quit your other demon, you can quit smoking. Good luck to you.
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2010, 03:05 PM
    KBC, I quit almost 7 years ago. I smoked less and less, and used Wellbutrin for three weeks and then just stopped altogether.

I was tempted to restart while in rehab, but I'm glad I didn't.

If you can quit your other demon, you can quit smoking. Good luck to you.
    Thank you, the support is most welcomed!
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2010, 03:16 PM
    Does this make sense Clough?
    Clough, do you need some long term rehab? If you are not going to at least one, preferably two, meetings a day, you are taking risks with your sobriety.

You say that you want "a beer" What I hear is " I want to suck the bottom out of fifth of Smirnoff." Tell the truth, A beer?

I'm pulling for you Clough. I'm praying for you too. But if you want to keep that April 17th sobriety date, you are going to have to bust your butt to do it.

You are going to have to make some major changes in your lifestyle and way of thinking.
    This is serious time, making meetings!

You have to put the same effort you put into drinking into going to meetings, you did whatever it took to make sure you had a drink,right? Now you have to apply that same thing to sobriety, or else the three will happen..

Jail,institution or death.

Your choice, the chaos is right under that first cap,it's waiting for a moment to find you weak and vulnerable, at meetings there is strength.Alone it's you,your faith,your will power,, against a disease that has no bounds.It cares nothing if you do or don't drink,as long as it can keep you close to the chaos, it'll eventually win.

I am slowly removing myself from that chaos, again, smoking is a really nasty one, but I have a track record of winning, I believe in myself enough that I will prevail.. do you have this?Every day?? night?

Please rethink the meetings, each day, each night, every time you think that a drink sounds like heaven, you have to remember hell, play the tape out, the one you have in your mind that shows you where you are going to go, right back to where you were.

It is said that those who stopped drinking, even for many years, when they started up once again, it was like they never quit... all the problems,all the reasons,all the negativity/hurt family/etc, was all there,, don't get weak,go for the winning team... and call your sponsor BEFORE you drink!!
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2010, 02:52 PM
    How did last night go?
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2010, 04:21 PM

Hey Clough,

Alcohol is physically addicting for about 10% of Americans. It also worms it's way into the mind and emotions. Other life issues or difficulties are dulled by drinking and come out screaming when the alcohol is no longer there.

I was in in-patient treatment of a month or so 4 different times. The final time, I knew that there must be something I had been missing or neglecting. AA is fantastic but does not address other habits (non-drug) as directly.

For me, the other coping strategies I used for perceived emotional stability were poking holes in my boat. I am addicted to sugar, caffeine and relationships. What worked was to stop these addictions along with alcohol.

The biggest culprit for me was "men." Looking back over all the quitting the one thing I hadn't tried was not getting involved with a guy. AA suggests not getting into a relationship for a year. I finally tried it... Still sober, 10 years!

Sugar and caffeine were coping, comfort things too. Getting away with something I felt was bad for me started an emotional roller-coaster. Emotional sobriety has been an awesome discovery for me.

One thing people always say at meetings is that if you don't drink, you won't get drunk. Or, don't take the first drink. Then, I heard something that I could internalize, don't take a drink...Even if you want to. For some reason, that was what I needed to hear.

Hang in there. Hang with people who aren't addicted to stuff. Yeah, sometimes they're really, really boring. But once you get past the phase where you stringently avoid the beer and wine section in the grocery store, those folks start to become quite interesting.

A final thought. I was terrified that if I didn't drink alcohol, life would be boring. It sure isn't. But the relief gained by not hiding abnormal drinking or telling half-truths is priceless.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2010, 07:17 PM

KBC-Here is something that I forgot to put in mine the other night;;I got me some of the plastic
    Tipped little cigarsone for morning and one for afternoon, I did not light them just held them in my mouthand chewed the ens out of the tip.I would want to light it so bad but I kept refuseing to and I did get a little flover taste out of just holding it in my mouth, {BUT NO SMOKE
    AND Didn't REALLY GO CRAZY WANTING TO LIGHT IT: TRY THIS IT MAY HELP YOU :HOPE SO :: Here is something that really gets tio me ,every time I see it {QUITE OFTEN } I hate seeing these people running down the highway( ALONG SIDE IN THE EMERG LANE:: BREATYHING HARD AND DEEP AND ALL THE TIME JUST THINK )F ALL THE CARBON MONIXIDE
    FROM ALL THE VECULESTHAT ARE PASSING THEM AND GIVFING THEM A GOOD DOSE OUT THEIR TAIL PIPE;; and if you get within 30 feet of them with a lit cigreete ,they holler and say TO YOU " YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO PUT THAT OUT ITS KILLING ME AND THEY WILL START COUGHING:: { NOW DID TGHEY STOP TO THINK ABOUT THE FOUR LANES OF CARS <TRUCKS <BUSSES ECT.ECT.? I HOPE AND PRAY THAT CLOUGH IS ,DOING BETTER TONIGHT!! KBC-THANKS FOR THE NICE WORDS< AND I Didn't KNOW THAT I HAD HELOED YOU THAT TIME <BUT IM PROUD TO KNOW THAT I DID AND I HOPE THAT I CAN DO SOMETHING TO HELP YOU <CLOUGH AND OTHERS IN THE FUTURE: WELL I guess I have bent your hear long enough [chawnnin ]as wens cals its dow thisn ways,he he he ,I think I have hitting the 100% oxygen to long
    YOU have a great night and a better day tomorrow, AND GOD BLESS {PRAYER IS THE ANSWER} F.B.E.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Has anyone dealt with Ford Credit? [ 13 Answers ]

I need help help QUICKLY!! I am 50 days behind on my car payment and they want the whole amount ($840) by this Friday and they want it Money Gram. I did an ebill payment last week that was returned because my paycheck went in on the midnight of Friday-Saturday and I had it set for Friday.I thought...

What hand do we get dealt? [ 14 Answers ]

People who have had it rough seem to me to be the down to earth, sure-self kind. Is that because of what they have been through and what they have had to deal with or is it because they are life aware that they get given a ty hand in the first place. Does the man make the metal or does the metal...

Tell me a Difficult situation and how you dealt with it? [ 2 Answers ]

Tell me a Difficult situation and how you dealt with it?

Anybody dealt with chicken pox? [ 12 Answers ]

My 2.5yo, I think has chicken pox. Not really sure though. No itching, no fever. Red bumps/rash on his face, a few on rear, maybe one on his back, clusters of them near underwear line. And a bunch on his arm. I thought , yesterday, this was an allergic reaction to washing powder... gave a bath and...

View more questions Search