Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    magicgb77 Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Apr 21, 2010, 01:34 PM
    What does multiple follicles on ovary mean?
    Ok so I am in School for medical sonography. Since in school ( Nov. 2009) I have been watching my ovaries every cycle. I do this because I had Surgery to remove 2 Chocolate cysts from my ovaries in September 2009. So far everything is going fine and normal with my ovulation and all reproductive organs. The thing that I have noticed is that I produce two dominant follicles every cycle now. The teacher says that means I have a chance for twins.. I asked my doc and she said the same. I have no twins in my family... would the surgery of caused this? Also last night we were learning endovaginal ultrasound... so while I was down we looked at my ovaries. Both ovaries had lots of tiny follicles ( not cysts)... my teacher says that my ovaries must be hyper stimulated. When I looked up what that meant.. it was bad! I don't have any of the symptoms of hyperstimulation. I guess what I am asking.. if anyone knows is, is it normal to produce so many eggs without it being a threat?

p.s I have tried to call my doc.. but she has been too busy to get back to me.
    emily_godzilla Posts: 115, Reputation: 5

Apr 21, 2010, 02:51 PM

I really would not worry too much unless you are having pains- releasing multiple follicles could put you at risk of polycystic ovarian syndrome I think? But I am only a lay person with access to the internet-my last ultrasound showed I had like two follicles on each ovary-i was told that this was a normal finding. If you are studying all this to be an ultrasound tech perhaps you are over anylyzing your own body-sometimes med students do that. Maybe you should just see your gyn for some peace of mind but as long as you are not in pain I would not worry till you talk with your doc.

Apr 21, 2010, 02:53 PM

Also forgot to clarify if you had the polycystic ovary thing then the cysts would most likely cause pain. I have a history of ovarian cysts and endometriosis. Good luck.
    magicgb77 Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Apr 21, 2010, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by emily_godzilla View Post
    Also forgot to clarify if you had the polycystic ovary thing then the cysts would most likely cause pain. i have a history of ovarian cysts and endometriosis. good luck.
    Thanks! I think that I am overanalyzing things a bit... yet I am stull stressing over it! I know its not polycystic ovary syndrom... but I do have history of endometriosis. My doc said she got all mine out in surgery though... hopefully it won't come back. Do you know how endometriosis comes back?

Apr 21, 2010, 04:40 PM

Yes, from what I understand and from having a surgery myself-surgery cannot "cure" endo. It can come back in time because the same hormones that give us our periods cause the lining to grow. Endo is where endometrisis linling grows in parts of our bodies outside our uterus.for example in my own case they also found I had endo of the bowel. In fact I am having another surgery may 12 2010 for my endo. Hold on I may have a few helpful websites for you!

Apr 21, 2010, 04:47 PM

Endometriosis and Pain Management
    I find this website very helpful.
    Also there is a great personal blog about endo at www.wordpress.com I found both these sites very helpful also you can Google endometriosis-sorry cannot spell great and I am in grad school! :) Please I would advise you against self diagnosis. If you have concerns see your doc and let them figure it out. I do not think even a MD would diagnose themselves. It just is not very objective to attempt to do so-you may only succeed in scaring yourself.
    GIDDYANNA Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2011, 05:40 PM
    I have polynistic ovary syndrome but i have it bad they cover both my ovaries but the doctors never explained it to me i get a lot of pain and a lot of problems with having sex with my bf but they say it has nothing to do with my condition but how do they know without actually taking a look im tired of worrying evrytime about having sex with my bf and just want to get back to normal and be able to have kids and stop worying about the pains and everything else
    sheeshaider Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2011, 05:14 AM
    What does it mean no mature follicle seen in both ovaries
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2011, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sheeshaider View Post
    what does it mean no mature follicle seen in both ovaries
    It can depend on when in your cycle this was looked for as mature follicles are not always present.

There are several hormones that play a role in leading up to ovulation. They will cause the maturation of a number of follicles on the ovary. Usually only one follicle will mature enough to release an egg, while the others will continue to work with the hormones before being reabsorbed.

Not having any mature follicles, if they were looking at a time when they would expect to see some, could mean there is a hormone imbalance and more testing would be necessary.
    ms_walker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2011, 05:11 PM
    now I have a question. I went to the doc today because I'm having the symptoms of ovarian cancer and have a lot of smaller circles around my ovaries... they sayits normal but I'm nt sure exactly what may br=e going on. I have all the sympotoms regarding ovarian cancer but I'm also on implanon birth control I have symptoms of being pregnant but I'm nt. Do anyone have any insight on my situation?
    ghghghgh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2012, 08:33 PM
    The best answer I can give is to go for a practical...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bumps on arms, hair follicles? [ 8 Answers ]

?? For years I have had little bumps on my forearms. Not painful, not rashy. About the size of little zits, but not red at all. Just flesh colored. My bet is that they are hair follicles, but... they never go away or get smaller. Anyone have any ideas as to what they are and how to get rid...

Multiple baseboards with multiple thermostats one circuit [ 22 Answers ]

Hi again guys, I want to run multiple baseboard heaters one one circuit in my basement. I have a small basement, so I figure I will need about 4 total baseboards. I figure I'll need about 4000 watts, I'm running 240 volt. So according to my code where I live, I'll require #12 and a 30 amp breaker...

Hair Follicles Discoloration [ 0 Answers ]

Okay I hope I am using the right terms but I have a problem with my hair follicles just where the hair grows out of the skin, it is darker than the skin that surrounds it. It just around my legs and I want to shave my legs more often (or wax) but I find it annoying to have these tiny spots all...

Dark hair follicles? [ 1 Answers ]

My legs are dotted with little spots where the hair follicles are. I shave my legs, so I am guessing that the little spots is the hair below the skin surface in the follicle. Does waxing or epilating help at all? I am sort of under the assumption that if I remove the hair completely, I won't have...

View more questions Search