Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    friskyinacanoe_1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2010, 08:18 AM
    Us Citizen Living in Canada, Married to a Canadian. Am I Single?
    Im a Us Citizen Living in Canada Married to a Canadian how do I file my US taxes, Can I File as Single and if so do I even have to file if my personal income is less than the minimums? I earned under $7k in 2008 and did not file and this year I'm about the same. I am aware of the Foreign income limits and I'm nowhere close. If I don't have to file I would like to not.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 21, 2010, 12:08 PM

If your total worldwide income exceeds the filing requirement, even when you do not live in the U.S. a U.S. citizen or resident must file your U.S. tax return. On your return, you must report your world wide income. If you paid taxes in the foreign country, you will claim credit for taxes paid in the foreign country by filing Form 1116 or can file form 2555 Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. Even if you have a filing requirement, the chances are you will not pay any U.S. tax or pay very little U.S. tax. Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

Your filing status is married filing jointly or married filing separately. On the separate return, for SSN of spouse, put N R A.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Citizen married to Canadian, (he still lives in Canada), can I claim exemption? [ 8 Answers ]

I am a U.S. citizen married to a foreign national who lives in his native country (commuter marriage) and who has no income from U.S. sources. Can I claim an exemption for my spouse on my U.S. tax return? I presently file as Head of Household, as I have a qualifying child, but I am wondering if...

You.S. Citizen married to you.K. Citizen currently living in UK and wanting to move to US [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am a US citizen (24 years old) currently living in the UK with my husband (30 years old) who is a UK citizen. We were married in Nov. 2007 in California which is where I am from. I am currently living with him and working as I obtained a UK Spouse VISA. My VISA runs out in July and am...

Married to a canadian citizen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm am married to a canadian citizen as of July 2008 and he never lived in US or worked in US at any time. I was wondering if I should file married separate or file jointly? And what form should I use?

Paying a Canadian citizen for sales in Canada? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to hire a Canadian sales rep to sell my product in Canada. Is that possible? How do I handle the taxes? We don't pay State Taxes in NH. Can I pay his salary in US and leave it up to him to handle his own taxes? How do handle his benefits? Please advise

Got married to French citizen living in Canada. [ 1 Answers ]

No matter where I look, I can't find a straight answer... We got married here in the US (I'm a US citizen, he's a french citizen living in Canada for the last 18 yrs) in Sept. He works in Canada and so he goes back to Canada. He is coming home next week and we are going to start the immigration...

View more questions Search