Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 09:35 PM

Empty tank and remove tank bolts. Dry bottom of tank well. Coat rubber washer on both sides with clear silicone. Reinsert in hole and install brass washer and hex nut. No reason you can't get additional rubber washer and put between brass washer and tank. Also coat it with silicone. Tighten until rubber washers are compressed. I, like everyone else here is afraid of over tightening and cracking the tank. I seriously doubt that you would be able to do that. Especially with a rubber washer on both sides. Sit tank back on bowl and install brass washers and wing nuts.

I suspect that you didn't tighten the hex nuts under the tank tight enough and when you tighten the wing nuts, that pulled the bolts down enough to seal the tank. As the tank sat there full of water for a few days, the weight of the tank and the water put enough pressure on the big gasket around the flush valve to compress it some. That would have made the wing nuts loose. Since the wing nuts, not the hex nuts were what was making the bolts water tight the tank would start leaking.
    In other words you didn't tighten the hex nuts tight enough. The silicone will help a lot.
    AnnieEastCoast Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2010, 02:52 AM

Hi Harold. I figured I must not have tightened the hex nuts. I tightened both by hand initially. Then, and I can't be sure if I tightened them a 1/4 turn or so with a wrench. Same with the wing nuts.

Can you help me with the clear silicone product? Any preferred brand?

This has been a true learning experience for me. :)

Thanks again.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 30, 2010, 04:21 AM

Cheapest silicone on home center has. Tighten nuts on the bottom of the tank with wrench or pliers as tight as you can. I might could break tank but doubt that you could. It is the tightening of the nuts under the bowl that you have to be so careful with.
    AnnieEastCoast Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2010, 05:46 PM

Update: I am a happy camper. :)

Thank you, Harold, for the silicone tip. It worked like a charm. No leaks in the tank bolts... 10 days and counting!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pipes noisy after replacing fill valve [ 1 Answers ]

Had new fluidmaster fill valve put in to fix a leaky toilet, and now there's a loud banging noise in the pipes (that was never there before) and not only after the toilet is flushed, it's pretty much intermittent throughout the day. Can't sleep at night... Help!

Unable to remove bad smell from toilet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - I have a new home (2yrs old) and no matter how much I clean the master toilet it always has a bad smell. My spare bath doesn't have the same problem and it gets cleaned less. I've even tried an 'industrial' type cleaner from Lowe's, but after a few days the smell returned. I also notice...

Fill valve for toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced the fill valve and flapper in toilet, but when I turned on the Water, it does not fill up the tank quickly. There is water through the Tube, but it jut "trickles" into the tank!

Pressure from toilet valve will not fill toilet tank [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently had a soft water installation put in. The shut off valve is conveniently close to the garage where the clean water tank was installed. Anyhow after the installation was completed pressure worked great in every room except the master bathroom toilet. The dual sink, the shower, and...

Toilet fill valve [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced the fill valve in my toilet and the water will not fill up in the tank. When I disconnect the pipe between the shut off and tank, I can turn the water "on" and nothing happens. The sink and shower both work but the water won't go to the toilet. What can I do to fix this problem?

View more questions Search