Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mary123abc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2010, 11:19 AM
    Tipping the boss
    I would like to know if it is proper etiquette not to tip your hairdresser if she is the owner? I am a regular client (WEEKLY) and do not feel that I should tip her because she owns the place. She is the one making the prices and so on. I will, however, tip her if she does me a favor like squeeze me in for an appointment or come in especially for me because of an event. I always tip the shampoo girl or the colorist. AM I RIGHT OR WRONG?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 20, 2010, 11:59 AM

I would tip her. I tip the owner of the shop I go to if I end up with her as my beautician. She works as hard (and harder) with inventory control, shop maintenance, scheduling, customer service, advertising, community relations.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2010, 10:05 AM

While it's true the owner does a lot of work to maintain her business (I hope!), unlike everyone else working there, she gets a cut of every service provided. So I would not tip the owner but would tip others who might assist her such as a colorist or shampoo girl.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 25, 2010, 10:30 AM

Gratuities are awarded for personal service. The people that force servers to live from that income do not need gratuities themselves. If a person provides a service for you like you describe, regardless of who owns what that person deserves your gratitude.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2010, 11:15 AM

I don't think this is really as much a matter of etiquette as it is a difference in how people are paid. It's not customary to tip owners because they are paid differently, typically far more than the other staff if they are successful in running their business. So, no, you are not wrong - I think the way you are handling it now is fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to do? Boss loves you boss hates yeah girl? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey guys So I'm going out with a chick I work with I know I know not the best :) But hey. Anyway I really like this one she seems to give me what I need. Now if the boss likes you but not her. What do you do? Not much right If she gets kicked do I go with her or stay at my job? This...

New Hairdresser and tipping [ 3 Answers ]

I am going to a new hairdresser today because my friend who used to do my hair has moved out of state. What should I tip my new girl? Do I take a certain percentage of the bill?

Boss firing employees after boss resigns [ 1 Answers ]

Is it legal in California for a CEO to fire employees AFTER the CEO has resigned? My understanding is that the CEO can no longer hire, fire or negotiate contracts after they have tendered their resignation.

Tipping for Wedding [ 3 Answers ]

I am getting married in May and I had a few quesitons that no one can help me out on. 1. I read that the groom is supposed to be responsible for making a "donation" to the church that your getting married at. That's fine... how much? 2. Do you tip the servers at the reception venue and if...

Tipping [ 6 Answers ]

Should I tip the guy installing carpet at my house. If so, how much? He doesn't own the business, he's the installer for the company from which I purchased the carpet.

View more questions Search