Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amkblc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2010, 01:51 PM
    In my half bath, when I drain the sink, the toilet bubbles. How do I fix this?
    In my half bath, when I drain the sink, the toilet bubbles. I have a snake but sure would appreciate some expert advice of what I should do to fix this.
    Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 19, 2010, 02:15 PM

The bubbles is your clogged vent stack trying to vent through the toilet. Rod the stack from the roof with enough rod to reach roof top to basement plus 20'
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 20, 2010, 07:49 AM

It's seldom I disagree with Bob but
    Bubbles indicate a blockage in the drain line.
    Gurgles indicate a blocked vent that's attempting to vent through a trap.
    The solution would be to snake from the lavatory roof vent or pull the toilet and snake from there.
    Good luck, Tom
    amkblc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2010, 11:29 AM
    So - snaking the sink won't help? I am not sure how to snake the lavatory roof vent - but I can pull the toilet and snake it from there. I was hoping snaking the sink would work because that's easier than pulling the toilet. If this doesn't work, I will have to call a plumber because I don't want to go on the roof.
    Thank you! :-)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 20, 2010, 04:43 PM

Snaking the lavatory would stop you at the tee UNLESS you removed the "J" bend from the trap and went in the wall with a swivel head auger,m (see image)
    That way the snake would be directed down from the tee into the drain, (6the same as if you went down the roof vent.)
    The only other way would be to pull the toilet and snake from there. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

truck 41 Posts: 221, Reputation: 21

Apr 20, 2010, 09:43 PM

Do you have cleanouts for the sewerline outside the house? If so check them and see if there is water holding in the line, it may be plugged down stream of the cleanout. Goodluck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom Tub & Sink drain slowly (most recent) & Toilet bubbles when Washer empties [ 13 Answers ]

I recently purchased a 50 year old home (Oct 2009) and moved into the home in March. The house is one floor (crawlspace), has a utility sink that the washer drains into, and has only one bathroom - which all drain into the town sewer. The problems are starting to escalate, and I need some advice...

Prep toilet and sink drain holes in floor after permanent removal of toilet and sink. [ 0 Answers ]

I am planning on removing a toilet and sink that are on each side of a half bath that is connected to pantry. Wife wants to use room for xtra fridge where sink is and shelving unit where toilet is. Since doing all this thought I may as well use as opportunity to replace linoleum in old bath and...

Toilet bubbles when bathroom sink drains [ 1 Answers ]

Plumber used 50 ft snake at the base of toilet, all seemed well but less than two days later, when runnig sink water, noticed toilet bubbling. The next day, feces acked up into the tub when we flushed the toilet. Help please, I can't afford plumber again. Can I do this myself?

Connect sink in new half bath (basement) [ 1 Answers ]

My basement has a laundry sink (all ready connected), stub for toilet which I am installing, and I want to add a pedestal sink. How do I connect the sink to a drain and assure venting is proper?

Adding bath drain in concrete for existing half bath [ 1 Answers ]

I want to turn a half bath into a full bath in my basement. Currently the washer and dryer along with the water heater are in the half bath along with the commode and sink. I want to add a bath tub and the lay out of the room is such that the tub installation would probably require less work if it...

View more questions Search