Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peteyk Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2010, 02:27 PM
    Is this a leaky pipe or not?
    So I've had water damage on two ceilings for a while now and the water only leaks when someone uses the third floor bathroom (toilet, sink, and bath). I was wondering if it's two leaky pipes or something else because the water leaks in about the same spot on two different levels. Thanks
    CHayn Posts: 177, Reputation: 10

Apr 18, 2010, 02:36 PM

Couldn't tell you if its one or multiple leaking pipes without seeing it. I would guess only one. Does it leak when they use any fixture or only one in particular?

Apr 18, 2010, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CHayn View Post
    couldnt tell you if its one or multiple leaking pipes without seeing it. I would guess only one. Does it leak when they use any fixture or only one in particular?
    It leaks when someone uses any of the fixtures. I can upload a picture of both water damages if you need. Directly under the third floor bathroom is the second floor bathroom and that's where it leaks into. Is it possible to continue leaking through the tiles though? Would that be the cause of the water damage on the first floor or would that have to be the pipes?

Apr 18, 2010, 02:44 PM

The water is probably following the pipes on down and leeching out to your first floor ceiling.

Apr 18, 2010, 02:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CHayn View Post
    the water is probably following the pipes on down and leeching out to your first floor ceiling.
    Oh, so then I just have to replace the pipe on the second floor and there's just water damage done to the first floor ceiling, no second leaking pipe?

Apr 18, 2010, 03:12 PM

That would be my guess. Can't tell for sure without seeing it but if it only leaks when the third floor bath is used that would tell me there is not a leak from the second floor bath.
    truck 41 Posts: 221, Reputation: 21

Apr 18, 2010, 03:52 PM

Start by openning up the area where the water damage is on the second floor ceiling, then take a look and see if you can tell where the water is coming from. You may need to have someone run some water on the thirdfloor bathroom so you can see where the leak is. Take pictures and post them if you need advice on how to make the repairs.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 18, 2010, 04:08 PM

Suggest you post pictures.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaky sewer pipe [ 3 Answers ]

How do I repair a leaking cast iron sewer line that is forty years old?

Leaky sewage pipe I think? [ 5 Answers ]

I think my sewage pipe is leaking. I have a pipe that is in my basement underneath my bathroom (it's a fairly wide pipe). It seems to be leaking a brown substance every now and again that has a bad smell. There is a brown residue on the outside of the pipe. It seems to be at the connection of...

Leaky pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Just one more problem. We have a pipe that leaks a little, enough to make a round circle on our drop ceiling. It is wrapped with black insullation. We plan on going to the hardware store to get some stuff I believe is called dope putty. I saw my plumber use it once to stop our toilet pipe...

Leaky pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I just took possession of a house and when we did our final inspection we fond that there was a cracked pipe that leaked water when the upstairs toilet was flushed.the pipe in question is located in the basement.it comes out of the wall and goes into the ground.the pipe was repaired but...

Leaky pipe [ 7 Answers ]

My water supply line pipe to toilet is leaking how do I fix it

View more questions Search