Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Apr 17, 2010, 07:46 PM
    Any tips for feeling good?
    There are a few aspects of my life that really suck right now. It's been that way for a long time and there isn't anything I can do about it except wait for conditions to change. There are a few positive areas but it's getting harder and harder to make the good outweigh the bad in my mind. I find myself alternating between extreme anger and depression almost all the time now. I can't remember the last time I laughed.

Other than drinking or taking drugs, does anyone have any suggestions?
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2010, 07:59 PM

Are you a Religious? If so, then maybe you could get more involved in your spiritual life.

Possibly do some volunteer work for people who are less fortunate than you are.

Life is tough sometimes. But never be deterred from your goals, and always try to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Go to a comedy club. You should try to laugh at least 5 good times a day.

How about your diet? Eating good and exercising always helps me to feel better.

No matter what is happening in your life at any given moment, you should always remember that things could always be worse. Yes, worse.

One of my legs hurts from surgery. But I should feel lucky that I have legs at all.

Like the old saying " I stopped complaining about having no shoes when I met a man who had no feet." Or something like that.

I hope you get through this rough spot.

May God bless you.
    Expert

Apr 17, 2010, 08:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    Are you a Religious? If so, then maybe you could get more involved in your spiritual life.

Possibly do some volunteer work for people who are less fortunate than you are.

Life is tough sometimes. But never be deterred from your goals, and always try to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Go to a comedy club. You should try to laugh at least 5 good times a day.

How about your diet? Eating good and exercising always helps me to feel better.

No matter what is happening in your life at any given moment, you should always remember that things could always be worse. Yes, worse.

One of my legs hurts from surgery. But I should feel lucky that I have legs at all.

Like the old saying " I stopped complaining about having no shoes when I met a man who had no feet." Or something like that.

I hope you get through this rough spot.

May God bless you.
    Thank you for your thoughts. Increased religious involvement is not an option or a desire at the moment. I've done some volunteer work but conditions have now reached the point where the only type of volunteer work I can do has to be done out of my home. That narrows the possibilities quite a bit.

I wish I could go to a comedy club. But conditions also prevent that at the moment.

Eating and exercising are OK but I've lost quite a bit of my appetite.

I know that things could definitely be worse. And I keep trying to prepare myself for them to get worse. So far I haven't been disappointed in that area. It seems like every time I get slammed in the head with a 2x4 and pick myself up, there's another 2x4 on the way.

I keep looking for that light at the end of the tunnel but it's been a couple of years since I've seen it and I think the bulb is about to burn out.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2010, 11:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    There are a few aspects of my life that really suck right now. It's been that way for a long time and there isn't anything I can do about it except wait for conditions to change. There are a few positive areas but it's getting harder and harder to make the good outweigh the bad in my mind. I find myself alternating between extreme anger and depression almost all the time now. I can't remember the last time I laughed.

Other than drinking or taking drugs, does anyone have any suggestions?
    Ok,your in a slump.

Drinking would only add to the slump.

Drugs(street) would also add to the slump.

Writing the specifics down, perhaps in here,perhaps just on paper can open your possibilities to look at the 'problem' with a fresh perspective.

Anger and depression have always gone hand in hand, one turned inward becomes the other.

Constantly looking for the other shoe to drop, well,sometimes we invent ways for that to happen.Once in that frame of mind(I,anyway),will stay in a slump for months, many months:(

Let's face it,life isn't fair.We're dealt blows all the time.How we react to them is what makes us who we are.

Perhaps you can share some of what it is that has you in this funk and we can discuss things?

I'd like that,
    Ken
    Expert

Apr 18, 2010, 05:57 AM
    Thanks, Ken. You're right. Major slump.

The biggest part of the problem is economics. There's been a slight improvement in that area recently but it's also been shown to me that the improvement will be only slight for a very long time to come.

There were some health issues that are also showing signs of improving but that will take a long time as well.

I've been dealing with these issues for over 2 years now. I've been waiting and waiting for conditions to change and now that they're finally changing I'm seeing that the changes won't be all that much better than the way things were. That it'll take even longer.

I'm tired of dealing, you know? I've been the one being upbeat and trying to keep everyone else from being depressed. That doesn't seem to be working anymore.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 18, 2010, 06:04 AM
    Well, you could do some pro bono work for a friend! LOL just kidding, but it would be nice.

I've been in your slump Lisa, more times than I care to remember.

The only thing that helped me was to take a medication. It helped me think clearer and solve problems without getting frustrated or upset. Once I was over that slump, the medication was no longer needed.

Just food for thought.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2010, 06:13 AM

Hi Lisa:

I've always been regenerated by a new business proposal. Making money is good therapy, and PLANNING to make money is even better therapy. New Jersey just passed a medical marijuana law. I'd set up a dispensary. You'll make a fortune, and you'll help people too.

excon
    Expert

Apr 18, 2010, 06:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Well, you could do some pro bono work for a friend! LOL just kidding, but it would be nice.

I've been in your slump Lisa, more times than I care to remember.

The only thing that helped me was to take a medication. It helped me think clearer and solve problems without getting frustrated or upset. Once I was over that slump, the medication was no longer needed.

Just food for thought.
    Thanks, J. A lot of people have suggested medication but I'm really afraid to go that route. And getting medication would require a script. That would mean going to a doctor and then getting the script filled. That's not an option at the moment. No insurance.

I'm probably better off without the meds. I've got a very addictive personality.
    Expert

Apr 18, 2010, 06:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hi Lisa:

I've always been regenerated by a new business proposal. Making money is good therapy, and PLANNING to make money is even better therapy. New Jersey just passed a medical marijuana law. I'd set up a dispensary. You'll make a fortune, and you'll help people too.

excon
    Ex, you don't know how tempting that idea is. But I'm afraid I'd start using my product and things would be even worse than they are now. :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 18, 2010, 06:32 AM
    I've got a very addictive personality.
    I could possibly help with that. There is a med that is only $4 a month that is non-addictive with virtually little to no side effects. I'd just have to work on finding a doc for you.
    smith1012 Posts: 62, Reputation: 3

Apr 18, 2010, 05:15 PM

When there is a condition upon feeling good then feeling good will come and go, come and go. It cannot be constant.

Try this. Whenever you drink (Forget about Drugs unless you have to!) observe and feel (don't think) your inner self at that moment. Why is it you feel good when alcohol is in the system?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2010, 05:22 PM

Practice meditation. It does amazing things for your mind, body and spirit as a whole.

It takes time and commitment but it will make a huge difference in your life.
    Expert

Apr 18, 2010, 06:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smith1012 View Post
    When there is a condition upon feeling good then feeling good will come and go, come and go. It cannot be constant.

Try this. whenever you drink (Forget about Drugs unless you have to!) observe and feel (don't think) your inner self at that moment. Why is it you feel good when alcohol is in the system?
    I don't really drink. Maybe once every year or two. But IIRC the last time I drank I felt good because I just didn't care.

I know that feeling good isn't constant. But feeling bad shouldn't be constant either.
    Expert

Apr 18, 2010, 06:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper1976 View Post
    Practice meditation. It does amazing things for your mind, body and spirit as a whole.

It takes time and commitment but it will make a huge difference in your life.
    Thanks, Joe. I may look into giving that a try. If I can stop thinking long enough. :)
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2010, 06:23 PM

Just have to reprogram the way you think. Training and discipline of meditation will teach you well. There are lots of books and people even willing to help out others with meditations. There are so many different ways. There is no one right way and sometimes you will have to try it to see if it works with you. Even starting small every day and working your way up to more time spent in mediation will make such a difference. Does not matter how busy your mind is with thoughts. It is what you do with your thoughts that matters most.

Living every moment on its on.

Apr 18, 2010, 06:25 PM
    I don't really drink. Maybe once every year or two. But IIRC the last time I drank I felt good because I just didn't care.

I know that feeling good isn't constant. But feeling bad shouldn't be constant either.
    I won't be the best to explain and provide understanding to this teaching, but look into these spiritual teachers which I have found to be a few of the best.

Mooji
    Eckhart tolle.

Now before you say something about spirituality being a case of mumbo jumbo that does not fit in our modern times, please take the time to look into these teachings. They are very practical for modern times and they speak of modern times.

I'm obviously not sure whether you know these people but I have found that many do but don't follow through because their minds cannot accept the teachings and does not align with it. But let me tell you this, the reason behind all pain and suffering, feeling bad constantly is because of the mind alone. Some won't agree with me but that's understandable because you'd have to discover yourself.

These teachers all point to one truth with all their concepts. The truth is you are beyond your mind. THe mind isn't who you are and once you begin to live the truth, you'll find that feeling good is not dependent on our world but in fact the very nature that you are.

Please don't reject this, because the tendency of the mind is to reject anything it does not understand.

As joe says, meditation is good because it is living the truth. But the point behind the teaching is to discover whether there is a mediator at all. And once discovered life becomes mediation and you're daily acitivities still continue in front of the mediation itself.

PS. When you're drunk, you get a glimpse of what living the truth provides, but not in terms of how the mind sees it. :)

HTH
    Expert

Apr 18, 2010, 06:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smith1012 View Post
    I won't be the best to explain and provide understanding to this teaching, but look into these spiritual teachers which I have found to be a few of the best.

Mooji
    Eckhart tolle.

Now before you say something about spirituality being a case of mumbo jumbo that does not fit in our modern times, please take the time to look into these teachings. They are very practical for modern times and they speak of modern times.

I'm obviously not sure whether you know these people but I have found that many do but don't follow through because their minds cannot accept the teachings and does not align with it. But let me tell you this, the reason behind all pain and suffering, feeling bad constantly is because of the mind alone. Some won't agree with me but that's understandable because you'd have to discover yourself.

These teachers all point to one truth with all their concepts. The truth is you are beyond your mind. THe mind isn't who you are and once you begin to live the truth, you'll find that feeling good is not dependent on our world but in fact the very nature that you are.

Please don't reject this, because the tendency of the mind is to reject anything it does not understand.

As joe says, meditation is good because it is living the truth. But the point behind the teaching is to discover whether there is a mediator at all. And once discovered life becomes mediation and you're daily acitivities still continue in front of the mediation itself.

PS. When you're drunk, you get a glimpse of what living the truth provides, but not in terms of how the mind sees it. :)

HTH
    Thank you. I've read Eckhart Tolle before. Maybe I'll try again.

Apr 18, 2010, 08:21 PM
    Thank you. I've read Eckhart Tolle before. Maybe I'll try again.
    Also look into "Mooji", "Nisargadatta Maharaj" & a lady by the name "Jac O'Keefe".

Mooji and Jac O'keefe have plenty of free YouTube videos. Check them out.

Similar to Eckhart tolle's teachings. Stuff that anyone can relate to, which is easier to understand.

Understand this though. All these teachers are pointing you to truth. To live the truth and NOT rely on understanding the truth. So in a way, the mind will simply try finding satisfaction to its own existence being its problem.

I'm not sure if this is too premature to tell you, but the mind has to disappear. Don't take my word for it. Look into these teachers and Discover it yourself.

:)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 18, 2010, 09:37 PM

Hi Lisa.

I'm so sorry you're in this slump, I'm going through the same thing right now, health problems, money problems, it seems that every time you dig yourself out of the hole a bit, someone comes along and pushes you back in.

It's hard to stay positive, it's hard to get out of the slump, but you can do it.

The first thing I'd recommend is the same think J9 stated, medication. I've been on antidepressants since 2001, celexa, which I believe is what J9 is talking about because it's largely non addictive and apparently not that expensive in the states. Sadly I don't understand the medical programs in the states so please forgive my ignorance on the subject, but is there some type of free clinic you can go to?

The medications will help, but the rest is up to you. I think that you took a big step here today by posting about this. The people on this site are so great, I couldn't have gotten through the last few months without them. Actually, truth told, they've pulled me out of a slump more times then they even know.

So come here, post about what's bothering you. Sometimes just talking about things, not holding them in, can help tremendously. Know that we're all here for you, even if you just need to vent.

So go ahead, the sky's the limit, let's try to get through this together. Okay? :)

Now to make you smile.

A man was walking along a Hawaiian beach when he kicked a bottle poking up through the sand. Opening it, he was astonished to see a cloud of smoke and a genie smiling at him.

"For your kindness," the genie said, "I will grant you one wish!" The man paused, and replied, "I have always wanted a road from Hawaii to California."

The genie grimaced, thought for a few minutes and said, "Listen, I'm sorry, but I can't do that! Think of all the pilings needed to hold up the highway and how long they'd have to be to reach the bottom of the ocean. Think of all the pavement. That's too much to ask."

"OK," the man said, not wanting to be unreasonable. "I consider myself a pretty worldly man but I've never been able to really understand women. Make me understand them, what makes them laugh and cry, why are they temperamental, why are they so difficult to get along with, what do they really want? Basically, teach me to understand what makes them tick!"

The genie paused, and then sighed, "Did you want two lanes or four?"
    :p
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2010, 09:38 PM

Please don't take this wrong Okay? I know what you said about religion and I don't want to ever not do what my heart tells me too.

Please ask God to help you through this time. He is always there and he will bring you comfort.

I just had to post this.. I don't know why.. but I do know this he has brought me through so many
    Storms in my life.

You may not want to do this, but I will remember you in my prayers... Blessings

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need good moving Tips [ 2 Answers ]

I am moving house in a few days an struck in packing as I am single. Please share me your best moving tips about packing so I could make it less stress fully.

Healthy,feeling good [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is Jason,&im 15 about to turn 16.When I was a kid I use to make myself faint by cutting ogg my air circulation(now I know that it kills brain cells).I use to do it a lot I would say 65 times in my whole life mabe 50 flat.Do you think its going to effect me later in life?Anyway eversince...

I need some good tips [ 2 Answers ]

When I was just six months my mom gave me to my grandmother both my dad and my mom have never been in my life and now its hard for grandmother because she gave to take care of me when she should be looking to retire. I has been bothering me my grandmother is getting real mad because she is tired...

Feeling good [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I can't figure out what feels good for me sexually. I've heard that if your boyfriend/partner can't pleasure you sexually that you need to tell him what feels good for you, but how do you find that out? Also once I finally do find out, It'll probably be hard for me to tell him.

Got any good Turkey tips. [ 2 Answers ]

How many ways can you cook a turkey for thanksgiving show your best?

View more questions Search