Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DMcG Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2006, 06:23 AM
    Bank account frozen
    I've read several questions on the topic of judgements from creditors freezing or levying bank accounts. Unfortunately, we received some very bad advice from a debt settlement company and allowed a judgement to be put on us. The debt is mine from being unemployed for an extended time but I was trying to dig out and used a debt settlement company to try and begin the process. At the time, I thought that was my only option since the credit card company didn't really care about my situation.

In any event, my question is this: I have an account in another state that is still open and I'm wondering if I can deposit my payroll check to that account. How long does it take for someone to find another account and can they cross state lines with a judgement? I am in the process of getting a lawyer so that I can work with this creditor but in the meantime, I have to feed my children.

Thanks for any advice -- this board seems very helpful!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 4, 2006, 06:55 AM
    How long it takes to find the account depends on how hard they look. Its really impossible to say.

Whether they can cross state lines depends on state laws. Some states honor hudgements obtained in other states, some require they be filed in the state where the assets are.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frozen bank acct [ 5 Answers ]

My bank acct was frozen by a debt collector but I don't have the money to pay it off now, the debt collector told me I could make a payment arrangement with them but my unemployment check is not enough for me to start paying off my debt and he told me there's interest building on the debt everyday...

Frozen Bank Account [ 7 Answers ]

My bank account was recently frozen because of an outstanding credit card balance. I live paycheck to paycheck, I called the bank and they just said an order was put through and that there was nothing they could do. I called the number the bank gave me for the company that got the judgement. I...

I Am Unemployed And Have A Frozen Account [ 3 Answers ]

I Am Currently Unemployed And My Account Has Been Frozen. In That Case What Should Be My Course Of Action Or Should I Leave It Alone Since I Do Not Have Any Money To Hire A Lawyer To Go To Bankruptcy.

Frozen bank account [ 1 Answers ]

A judgement has my bank account frozen. Apparently the credit card company sued me after I moved and sent notices to my old address for 4 years. The debt collectors/bottom feeders told me the credit card company sent me a settlement offer in October 2006 to my old address. I never received any...

Bank Account frozen on Unemployment [ 6 Answers ]

Information needed.. My estranged husband just found out that his bank account has been frozen due to a judgement awarded to Cohen and Slamowitz, that he didn't even realize was happening.. The only funds in there at the moment are unemployment benefits.. I already know that in NYS they...

View more questions Search