Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monkeygurl199427 Posts: 34, Reputation: 3

Apr 16, 2010, 06:32 AM
    Should I see a doctor for a sprained ankle?
    I was at school and my friend pushed me and I tripped over a hole and landed on my left ankle the wrong way I guess. But I got home and my mom saw that it was swollen and she told me to rest it so I did for that day and she said the swelling will be gone tomorrow but it still isn't gone. I don't know if I sprained my ankle or if I did anything else to it. The hurting and swelling is on the left side of my left foot. I don't know what that bone is called but it really hurts when I walk on it. I think I may need to see a doctor but I'm not sure. Got any advice?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2010, 06:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeygurl199427 View Post
    but im not sure. got any advice??
    Hello gurl:

I'm sure. See a doctor. If it's broken and heals wrong, it could cripple you.

excon

Apr 16, 2010, 06:37 AM

but i dont know if its broken, i can still wlak on it but it really hurts!! And my mom says i dont need to see a doctor but i beg to differ!!

Apr 16, 2010, 06:39 AM
    How do I know if I actually have a sprained ankle?
    I don't know if I did or not BTU could you tell me what happens when you sprain your ankle
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2010, 06:44 AM
    but i dont know if its broken,
    Hello again, gurl:

I know you don't know if it's broken. That's exactly WHY you see a doctor. He'll take x-rays and tell you if it's broken or not.

Look, Young Lady. I don't know what your situation is. Maybe your family doesn't have health insurance and can't afford a doctor visit. Nonetheless, it's BETTER to err on the side of safety when you're dealing with your ability to walk. Show your mom what I said. There'll be others telling you the same thing.

excon

Apr 16, 2010, 06:48 AM

OK thanks and I will
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 16, 2010, 06:48 AM

If you can't walk on that ankle, it could be one of two things, a fracture or a sprain. In other words, a lot of pain.

Tick
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2010, 06:59 AM

Here is what I found on the internet:

What are the symptoms of an ankle sprain?

Common symptoms associated with an ankle sprain are pain with swelling and bruising. The degree of symptoms tends to correlate well with the extent of the damage to these ligaments.

•Grade I Ankle Sprain:
    Grade I ankle sprains cause stretching of the ligament. The symptoms tend to be limited to pain and swelling. Most patients can walk without crutches, but may not be able to jog or jump.

•Grade II Ankle Sprain:
    A grade II ankle sprain is more severe partial tearing of the ligament. There is usually more significant swelling and bruising caused by bleeding under the skin. Patients usually have pain with walking, but can take a few steps.

•Grade III Ankle Sprain:
    Grade III ankle sprains are complete tears of the ligaments. The ankle is usually quite painful, and walking can be difficult. Patients may complain of instability, or a giving-way sensation in the ankle joint.
    As said before, pain and swelling are the most common symptoms of an ankle sprain. Patients often notice bruising over the area of injury. This bruising will move down the foot towards the toes in the days after the ankle sprain--the reason for this is gravity pulling the blood downwards in the foot.

To read more about it see here:
    Ankle Sprain - Sprained Ankles

What you can do is wrap your ankle tightly, but not so tight it cuts off your circulation and appy ice to it. Keep your ankle elavated and just rest.

Remember to RICE

Rest
    Ice
    Compress [wrapping it]
    Elevate.

If your worried or it's been a few days and you feel like your ankle is still hurting then you should go see a doctor.

Good luck!

Apr 16, 2010, 07:10 AM

Do you know what the bone on the outside of the left foot is called?
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2010, 07:15 AM

Hello again, gurl:

Probably your Metatarsal. Read about here: Metatarsus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

excon

Apr 16, 2010, 07:51 AM

No that's on the side of the big toe. I need the bone on the onther side of my foot
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2010, 07:59 AM
    no thats on the side of the big toe. i need the bone on the onther side of my foot
    Hello again, gurl:

That was the extent of my medical knowledge. That's WHY you need to see a doctor. He'll know what it's called. Besides, it doesn't matter what the name is of the bone that hurts. When you're in his office, point to it.

I can tell you this. It AIN'T your ankle.

excon

Apr 16, 2010, 08:00 AM

Well duh! And thanks!

Apr 16, 2010, 08:09 AM

Thanks but I mean I can walk on it but it really hurts and the bone on the left side of my left foot is really swollen! And I'm just so confused
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2010, 08:16 AM

Hello again, gurl:

You should keep all your ankle stuff on ONE thread. At the risk of repeating myself, the bone on the left side of your foot is NOT your ankle. Go see a doctor, and stop shopping for advice you like better.

excon

Apr 16, 2010, 08:20 AM

You don't have to respond you choose to and I can post stuff where I want when I want and I'm not shooping for advice I like better! All the advice you gave me is stuff I already knew!
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2010, 09:35 AM
    you dont have to respond u choose to and i can post stuff where i want when i want and im not shooping for advice i like better!! all the advice you gave me is stuff i already knew!
    Go to the doctor, he'll be able to answer your questions a lot better than us askmehelpers:rolleyes:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sprained ankle! Pleazee answerrr [ 6 Answers ]

So its Tuesday today and I was playing with my dog and I didn't want to step on him becahse he was right behind me... so I went to turn and hurt my ankle... its sprained I know it is its happened before and even my sister knows.. so don't say go see a dr. LOL.. but I have to work this thing I do...

How long does it take a sprained ankle to heal? [ 37 Answers ]

2 1/2 weeks ago, I sprained my ankle. I waited a few days to go see a doctor but when I finally did, he ordered x-rays. He said there are no broken bones. He told me to come back in a week. I did and my foot was still swollen and VERY tender in several places (I'm talking that it's so tender...

I sprained my ankle 5 weeks ago and it still hurts [ 4 Answers ]

I sprained my ankle rele bad 5 weeks.ago and it still hurts rele bad. What should I do?

Sprained ankle [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm after some advice regarding a bad sprain. On Saturday night my left ankle gave way coming down the stairs and I fell hurting it pretty bad. Went to casualty where it was xrayed and told it was just a sprain and sent on my way (nothing on it and just told to ice and rest). So went away...

Possible sprained ankle/foot [ 2 Answers ]

I was out on Tuesday night in a fab new pair of high heels and I had a bit too much to drink and went over on my heels on a flight of stairs. Luckily some guys begind me caught me and stopped me going down the stairs but I did go over on my foot further. It was painful at the time, but started...

View more questions Search